[video="youtube;a4c7AwHFkT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4c7AwHFkT8[/video]
really good closed-loop response, and the ending :coma:
Reply 1182
Original post by + polarity -
really good closed-loop response, and the ending :coma:

I have no idea what that means but... :drool:
Original post by a10
I have no idea what that means but... :drool:

It's when you control something using the error between the value you want (like velocity) and the actual value which is being measured (feedback). You'll probably come across it next year, but it's my favourite :lovedup:
When you study control engineering at university ... you probably won't like it. But you will learn what "closed loop" means.
Reply 1185
Original post by Smack
When you study control engineering at university ... you probably won't like it. But you will learn what "closed loop" means.

Hahaha i can tell it wasn't your favourite :wink: What module did you enjoy the most?

im enjoyin stuff about carnot engines n heat pumps in thermo

Original post by + polarity -
It's when you control something using the error between the value you want (like velocity) and the actual value which is being measured (feedback). You'll probably come across it next year, but it's my favourite :lovedup:

hmm interesting
I enjoyed the stuff relating to stress analysis the most, and I also liked heat transfer too.

Although that said I am considering trying to move into controls myself. Had an interesting presentation at a "technology breakfast" at work on Tuesday about subsea controls. Although it was mainly mechanical stuff like hydraulics, valves etc. that they covered, rather than going into control theory itself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by a10
im enjoyin stuff about carnot engines n heat pumps in thermo

I can't stand that stuff. I just can't wrap my head around what's going on (it seems really obvious, but I get confused with what the questions are actually asking).

I suppose I shouldn't blame the lecturer, but he gives us questions entirely unrelated to the content we've covered and expects us to use equations which haven't yet been talked about.

Even the teaching assistant is confused about what we're doing in that class.
Reply 1188
Original post by SillyEddy
I can't stand that stuff. I just can't wrap my head around what's going on (it seems really obvious, but I get confused with what the questions are actually asking).

I suppose I shouldn't blame the lecturer, but he gives us questions entirely unrelated to the content we've covered and expects us to use equations which haven't yet been talked about.

Even the teaching assistant is confused about what we're doing in that class.

hahaha, a lot of it is just playing with thermo equations and energy cons. until you get what you want!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1189
what is a good maths book for first yr, i tried engineering mathematics and university calculus. any good ones you would recommended before i buy one of these
Original post by sucess
what is a good maths book for first yr, i tried engineering mathematics and university calculus. any good ones you would recommended before i buy one of these

I'm using K. Singh's Engineering Mathematics through Application as my main book.

I used K. A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics as a book during the college-uni holiday just to get some knowledge together.

Both are pretty good. Does your uni not suggest any books?
Original post by a10
hahaha, a lot of it is just playing with thermo equations and energy cons. until you get what you want!

That's pretty much a summary of university engineering as a whole to be honest.
Well I didn't get in with JCB, just waiting for some feedback now.

JLR and Caterpillar are still in the pipeline. Bentley, Airbus and Triumph applications will be the focus of this week!
Reply 1193
I'm using K. Singh's Engineering Mathematics through Application as my main book.

I used K. A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics as a book during the college-uni holiday just to get some knowledge together.

Both are pretty good. Does your uni not suggest any books?

it suggested but i just want books that have good reviews
Original post by sucess
it suggested but i just want books that have good reviews

Well just watch out in case they give you work from a specific book. The two I mentioned are probably the two most popular ones.
Reply 1195
Original post by Smack
That's pretty much a summary of university engineering as a whole to be honest.

not a lot of "actual engineering" then?
Reply 1196
Well I didn't get in with JCB, just waiting for some feedback now.

JLR and Caterpillar are still in the pipeline. Bentley, Airbus and Triumph applications will be the focus of this week!

damn bro :sad: ! At least you learnt a lot from it! Good luck on the others
Original post by a10
not a lot of "actual engineering" then?

What is "actual engineering"?
Original post by a10
damn bro :sad: ! At least you learnt a lot from it! Good luck on the others

It was a good experience, for sure.

I will see what they say though, but there's plenty to take away from it. I didn't think I was doing too bad considering I've only spoken to our careers people once (again tomorrow) and pretty much did it by myself.

I know the types of questions and "hidden meanings" to some of the things they say though, so I should be a lot better off on my next interviews.
Reply 1199
Original post by Smack
What is "actual engineering"?

interacting with fellow engineers/or clients, putting ideas into practise, using knowledge learnt to make/manufacture real beneficial items, suggesting improvements etc.(?)

Quick Reply

Latest