The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0beany0
Hey, i'm going to apply to study mechanical engineering for the year starting september 2015.

Does anyone have any advice regarding personal statements?

I don't have too much extra curricular stuff and am yet to do work experience, but my grades are very good! (not to sound arrogant haha)

So yeah to those who are currently studying, if any, what work experience did you do? and what did you include in your ps?

Thanks!

I had a couple of weeks of work experience from year 10, as well as the Engineering Education Scheme and something about robots. I talked about all of them on my PS. You may want to take a look at some of these: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Category:colone:ngineering_Personal_Statements
Hey everyone, I was wondering, is there a way to disable scrolling on a powerpoint presentation (i.e. when I press enter, nothing happens and it doesn't change slide)? I want it to run solely based on clicks of the action buttons and the hyperlinks associated with them.
Original post by Like_A_G6
Hey everyone, I was wondering, is there a way to disable scrolling on a powerpoint presentation (i.e. when I press enter, nothing happens and it doesn't change slide)? I want it to run solely based on clicks of the action buttons and the hyperlinks associated with them.

Unplug the keyboard? :mmm: I can't think of any other way :colondollar:
There's a slide show option to browse in kiosk mode and that seems to work perfectly :smile:

Removing my work laptop keyboard would have raised a few eyebrows :tongue:

There's a freeze button that only lets you move onto the next slide by clicking things... Can't remember where

But there definitely was one
I am going to be doing Mechanical Engineering in September and I wonder, would it be possible to work part time while studying the course?
Original post by shahidk1
I am going to be doing Mechanical Engineering in September and I wonder, would it be possible to work part time while studying the course?

Depending on your timetable and general availability, yes. Most universities have a half-day off each week for "sports". You may also find that on some days you're finished really early anyway.

Just be aware that the timetable can change and they may put on new events later in the year which you didn't get at the start. Generally I am free from 12pm or 3pm on most days and weekends are generally clear. Just don't forget to actually do the work, but this can be done in evenings.
Original post by shahidk1

Yes, certainly, but I'd try and keep it consigned to the weekends.
By the way, I am 2 days into my placement. All is going well, but just waiting for something to come in so I can really get involved. I've never seen such huge technical drawings before (literally hundreds of components and variants). Plenty of time on the shop floor and even more when I get some workwear to allow me to get "dirty".
Reply 1589
Original post by SillyEddy
By the way, I am 2 days into my placement. All is going well, but just waiting for something to come in so I can really get involved. I've never seen such huge technical drawings before (literally hundreds of components and variants). Plenty of time on the shop floor and even more when I get some workwear to allow me to get "dirty".

sounds fun, is it mon-fri, 9-5?
Original post by a10
sounds fun, is it mon-fri, 9-5?

8-5 Mon-Thurs with an 8-12 on Friday. However, due to the nature of the job, the hours can be here and there a bit depending on if we get tied up on something, but I'll average around 40 hours a week regardless.
Reply 1591
8-5 Mon-Thurs with an 8-12 on Friday. However, due to the nature of the job, the hours can be here and there a bit depending on if we get tied up on something, but I'll average around 40 hours a week regardless.

i see, what particular role were you given btw?
Original post by a10
i see, what particular role were you given btw?

It's in the "customer team". I get to go to the companies we supply to, such as JLR, and help to resolve any problems with our parts. For instance, somewhere down the line (either them, us, or an external supplier) may have some quality issues and the parts aren't fitting to the vehicle correct, so we problem solve it and remedy it. Sometimes this will mean getting tools out and re-engineering a part and telling our engineers in Germany what changes to make to the CAD drawings so that it will work afterwards.

I also have to keep a report going for university detailing what I've been up to and about the company. With my other commitments, that's about 6 days a week working on average, plus travel! It should become a bit easier in a few weeks as there is always a lot of adjusting to get used to.
Model-based definition is what a lot of companies will transition to in a few years time as soon as manufacturing has caught up. If you suggest it you can really go places in the company?
Reply 1594
It's in the "customer team". I get to go to the companies we supply to, such as JLR, and help to resolve any problems with our parts. For instance, somewhere down the line (either them, us, or an external supplier) may have some quality issues and the parts aren't fitting to the vehicle correct, so we problem solve it and remedy it. Sometimes this will mean getting tools out and re-engineering a part and telling our engineers in Germany what changes to make to the CAD drawings so that it will work afterwards.

I also have to keep a report going for university detailing what I've been up to and about the company. With my other commitments, that's about 6 days a week working on average, plus travel! It should become a bit easier in a few weeks as there is always a lot of adjusting to get used to.

Wow that's nice, would be even better if they get you to travel to Germany later on for a few days or a week lol :biggrin:
Model-based definition is what a lot of companies will transition to in a few years time as soon as manufacturing has caught up. If you suggest it you can really go places in the company?

I had a quick look at the definition but it didn't make huge amounts of sense. Any chance of explaining how it may work in practice?

Is parts not fitting together a common issue in your industry too? In my company it's the single biggest cause of defects, I think. Damn tolerance stack ups!
Original post by Smack
Is parts not fitting together a common issue in your industry too? In my company it's the single biggest cause of defects, I think. Damn tolerance stack ups!

I don't know enough about the failure modes and defects of our products, but I would imagine in pretty much all industries that it is a big one. It's either man or machine, but stuff will always develop issues with tolerances and quality control.

Capturing incidents and preventing them is likely to be a big part of my job. Even things like mistaking a locating hole for a bolt hole on the vehicle (after we send the parts out) means other stuff doesn't fit, even though that's an error with their assembly and not our parts. So containing the issue and offering a fix via training and instruction manuals is a common one.
Depending on your timetable and general availability, yes. Most universities have a half-day off each week for "sports". You may also find that on some days you're finished really early anyway.

Just be aware that the timetable can change and they may put on new events later in the year which you didn't get at the start. Generally I am free from 12pm or 3pm on most days and weekends are generally clear. Just don't forget to actually do the work, but this can be done in evenings.

Original post by Smack
Yes, certainly, but I'd try and keep it consigned to the weekends.

Thank you for the help people. Is there anything major to look out for while studying this degree?
Hi there, ill be starting a foundation year in September then looking to go onto the full Mechanical Engineering BEng.

Looking forward to it but also somewhat crapping myself. Didn't do A-level maths, hence the FY, and know I'm going to need to do a lot of work :tongue:

Probably looking to try and get into the oil and gas industry if I can survive the degree and come out with a decent classification :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest