The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineers of TSR

Scroll to see replies

Thanks
Hey! I'm deciding on what unis to apply to for 2015 entry. I was hoping to get predicted AAB and apply to Surrey, Brunel, Loughborough, Birmingham and Queen Mary. However, I think my predictions are most likely going to be ABB, so I'm thinking of applying to Brunel, Queen Mary, Sussex, Aston and Coventry. What do you make of these unis for Mech Eng? Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:
I cannot do verbal reasoning tests to save my life! I didn't know engineers had to read actual sentences!
Reply 1783
Original post by Like_A_G6
I cannot do verbal reasoning tests to save my life! I didn't know engineers had to read actual sentences!

lol, are you graduating this academic year btw?
Original post by a10
lol, are you graduating this academic year btw?

Yep. It's coming round a lot faster than I thought it would!
Reply 1785
Yep. It's coming round a lot faster than I thought it would!

damn, congrats :smile:
Just started mechanical, had a few lectures

anyone else that started this year on here?
Are questions asking for date of birth, whether you've changed genders in your lifetime, marital status, religion, and sexual orientation illegal in a job application form?

Doing one now and they've asked for all that information.
Are questions asking for date of birth, whether you've changed genders in your lifetime, marital status, religion, and sexual orientation illegal in a job application form?

Doing one now and they've asked for all that information.

Most likely so they can monitor their demographics and be aware of preferences/obligations concerning the individual.

Illegal to ask? Probably not, they should allow "prefer not to say" though.

Illegal if it affects your application? Everything I know tells me it would be illegal if they used that information to dictate whether you progressed or not.
Hey, fellow students and members,

I am Portuguese and I will apply to Engineering in the UK. Since I don't live there, I don't know which Universities I should pick. I more lean to apply to universities which belong to the Russell Group, however, I am not sure about some of them. For instance, University of Southampton. It looks good, but I don't know if it is a good place to live.

Could you help me?
If I had to apply now, I would apply to Cambridge, Bristol, Manchester, UCL and Edinburgh.
What do you think?
my grades are in the Portuguese system..
I don't know if you'll get it, but:
Mathematics - 12th grade - 19 out of 20
Physics - 12th grade- 20 out of 20
Mathematics 3 years' average - 18 out of 20
Physics And Chemistry (With/without national exam) - 18/19 out of 20
Biology&Geology (With/Without national exam) - 17/18 out of 20
Information Technology -19 out of 20

The overall grade of my diploma is 18 out of 20. I just wrote the most important subjects (I didn't include Portuguese, Physical Education, Spanish, Philosophy).

Here are some websites that can help you understanding my grades
http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/Portugal
http://www.studyineurope.eu/study-in-portugal/grades
https://www.york.ac.uk/media/study/pre2014images/studyabroad/Grade%20conversion%20table%202012-13%20Portugal%20UK.pdf

Cambridge told me that I wouldn't waste my time applying, Southampton told me that I would probably be offered a place and UCL, Bristol and Manchester told me that I am welcomed to apply since I meet the requirements.
Original post by Pikachu94
Just started mechanical, had a few lectures

anyone else that started this year on here?

I have also started Mechanical Engineering at stage1. Overall i think it's pretty good including variation of interesting topics to learn. How do you find your course at the moment?
Reply 1791
Original post by shahidk1
How do you find your course at the moment?

Electronics doe :pain:
Original post by AlexGDuarte
Hey, fellow students and members,

I am Portuguese and I will apply to Engineering in the UK. Since I don't live there, I don't know which Universities I should pick. I more lean to apply to universities which belong to the Russell Group, however, I am not sure about some of them. For instance, University of Southampton. It looks good, but I don't know if it is a good place to live.

Could you help me?
If I had to apply now, I would apply to Cambridge, Bristol, Manchester, UCL and Edinburgh.
What do you think?
my grades are in the Portuguese system..
I don't know if you'll get it, but:
Mathematics - 12th grade - 19 out of 20
Physics - 12th grade- 20 out of 20
Mathematics 3 years' average - 18 out of 20
Physics And Chemistry (With/without national exam) - 18/19 out of 20
Biology&Geology (With/Without national exam) - 17/18 out of 20
Information Technology -19 out of 20

The overall grade of my diploma is 18 out of 20. I just wrote the most important subjects (I didn't include Portuguese, Physical Education, Spanish, Philosophy).

Here are some websites that can help you understanding my grades
http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/Portugal
https://www.york.ac.uk/media/study/pre2014images/studyabroad/Grade%20conversion%20table%202012-13%20Portugal%20UK.pdf

Cambridge told me that I wouldn't waste my time applying, Southampton told me that I would probably be offered a place and UCL, Bristol and Manchester told me that I am welcomed to apply since I meet the requirements.

I go to Southampton and so can answer questions based on it.

Southampton will give you an offer equivalent to A*AA if you are predicted the equivalent of AAB or higher. In terms of a place to live, like all places, it has good bits and bad bits. It does take warming up to, but I like it and I'm from London. Compared to the locations of the other five, most would say it's not as good, but it really depends what you want from student experience. If you want to live in a place where it's student dominated and you run into people you know quite often, then Southampton is better than London in that respect. If you want the place to be exciting with really good infrastructure, then London is better than Southampton.

Mechanical Engineering department at UCL is small and you might not get what you want out from it. Unis more renowned for being engineering focusses, such as Brunel and Imperial, may be a better choice.

The final note is that a University being in the Russell Group has no effect on an undergraduate. Loughborough is an AMAZING university for engineering, and companies like Rolls Royce love to take on their graduates, but it's not in the Russell Group.
Southampton

has good bits

Nope, not gonna lie its one of most violent places in the country and is full of all kinds of wierdos.
I go to Southampton and so can answer questions based on it.

Southampton will give you an offer equivalent to A*AA if you are predicted the equivalent of AAB or higher. In terms of a place to live, like all places, it has good bits and bad bits. It does take warming up to, but I like it and I'm from London. Compared to the locations of the other five, most would say it's not as good, but it really depends what you want from student experience. If you want to live in a place where it's student dominated and you run into people you know quite often, then Southampton is better than London in that respect. If you want the place to be exciting with really good infrastructure, then London is better than Southampton.

Mechanical Engineering department at UCL is small and you might not get what you want out from it. Unis more renowned for being engineering focusses, such as Brunel and Imperial, may be a better choice.

The final note is that a University being in the Russell Group has no effect on an undergraduate. Loughborough is an AMAZING university for engineering, and companies like Rolls Royce love to take on their graduates, but it's not in the Russell Group.

Thank you for your answer, it has been very useful. What don't you like in Southampton?

About UCL... The teaching, is it bad?

Original post by Methman
Nope, not gonna lie its one of most violent places in the country and is full of all kinds of wierdos.

You sure?
You sure?

HIV positive
Original post by Methman
HIV positive

Why so many people like Southampton University then? How can they like their University without liking the place where they live?
Why so many people like Southampton University then? How can they like their University without liking the place where they live?

Because its a very competitive and academic university, connected to industry and especially good for engineering disciplines.

That being said, its not a very nice place to live.
Original post by a10
Electronics doe :pain:

It must be irritating. I do have this one Fluid Mechanics lecture :doh::unimpressed::boring:
Thank you for your answer, it has been very useful. What don't you like in Southampton?

About UCL... The teaching, is it bad?

You sure?

Living in Southampton, compared to other places, takes a lot of warming to. For the first two years I just wanted to be done and move away, now I enjoy the place. Southampton has a lot of good places in and around it but as a Student, you tend to be localised around a few towns which consist of houses and corner shops.

I can't comment on the teaching at UCL, but their faculty looks small, so when it comes to doing a project in your third and forth year, I doubt the choice will be big. It will most likely be simulating things from a computer as opposed to something practical.

Quick Reply

Latest