The Student Room Group

How to get out of.... Private Accomodation!?

Hey lads and lassess.

Its Acomb here,

Need your help./

At about November time last year, me and 5 mates sorted out our house for the following year.

Turns out Im dropping out of uni..

and going back home

BUT

Ive signed a contract, saying I'll be living in this house

WHAT DO I DO?

Anyone have expreience with cancelling the contract?

there is still 8 weeks till the contract starts

Anyone who helps gets ten gold stars and sixteen claps,

Cheers people

ACOMB
Reply 1
Help!
Reply 2
find a replacement housemate otherwise you gotta pay up
Reply 3
yeah. go on www.flatmatefinder.co.uk or easyroomate.co.uk

Or you could stay on at uni.
Reply 4
Fusion
find a replacement housemate otherwise you gotta pay up

Thats about it.

If you read your contract before you signed it, you'll be aware that your group is responsible for either finding a replacement person or paying the money to cover it. Under certian contracts you can also sub-let the room.
Reply 5
depends totally on the contract, mine had a get out clause because our flat is owned by the uni...put notices up at uni, advertise the room, someone will be homeless for next year... advertise it on the message boards on http://www.studentpad.co.uk or www.accommodationforstudents.com.
Reply 6
When I left the first time round, I tried to find someone to take my place. No one did so I ended up paying rent for a year. Ouch.
Reply 7
Thanks for the responses

Im not even in uni next year, I cannot afford to pay the rent

any help is awesome

Thanks
Reply 8
You cant afford to pay the rent? Why did you sign the contract?
Reply 9
Ghost
You cant afford to pay the rent? Why did you sign the contract?

How about you read what was posted?

Acombfosho, was it a 'House' contract, where you all signed one contract, or was it a 'Room' contract where you signed individual contracts?
Reply 10
simeon
How about you read what was posted?

Well, no mention was made of a part time job near where he was staying, therefore it was lead to believe that the OP was not employed.
It is rather difficult to read what has not been written.
Reply 11
Acombfosho

Turns out Im dropping out of uni..

and going back home

Work has nothing to do with the OP's predicament.
Reply 12
Take your contract to the citizen's advice bureau. They'll be able to tell you if you can get out of it.
Reply 13
It's simple, as long as they don't have your bank details, run away! Go AWOL! It'll be fun. After a while they'll get bored of chasing you up. They're probably rolling in other contracts anyway.
Reply 14
Chase Me
It's simple, as long as they don't have your bank details, run away! Go AWOL! It'll be fun. After a while they'll get bored of chasing you up. They're probably rolling in other contracts anyway.

Might end up with his friends being jointly and severally liable for it though. Presumably they'd want to take him to court if he ended up disappearing and they had to pay his share.

Best you can do, OP, is find another person. Although notably the landlord doesn't have to accept that new person, they will in almost all circumstances.
Reply 15
Ive put posters around.

Had some heads interested,

I think we're going to do the running away and joining the circus act if all else fails!

Latest

Trending

Trending