The Student Room Group

Would you take Computer Science?

Hi everyone,

If you could give me a minute or so of your time that would be really helpful.

I am currently a computer science (CS) student and I have an assignment to make an animation to get teenagers (roughly 11-18) interested in computer science. The idea is that it would show them that CS is an option to them at degree level, or even before.

So, if you are a CS student or are applying for CS degrees now, I would really like to hear from you what interests in CS enough to make you want to take it at degree level. I would be particularly interested from people who chose CS over maths, physics or other sciences and who until recently wouldn't have considered a CS course.

If you are not currently considering a CS course (or are a bit young to think about degrees), but are interested in maths and science, what would make you consider taking computer science or showing more interest in computer science. If you are applying for maths/science degrees, do you realise you can take CS without prior programming experience?

Also, girls, what are your thoughts on computer science? Why do you think it's traditionally taken up by guys more than girls?

Thanks everyone for their time. I would really appreciate any replies and let's see if we can get a discussion going. This might also be a good place to ask a CS student questions about CS if you are unsure about it.

Reply 1
Hi there,
I'm currently studying AS computing and am predicted an A.
I absolutely love computing and have a couple of ideas about what may attract people to the subject.
1) Computer games are huge right? Even though this isn't the area I want to further my education in I think it would definitely look appealing to a young guy especially!!
2) Technology isn't as "geeky" as it once was, anyone who is anyone has a smart phone or tablet and I think this may also be an area of appeal to get their interest.
I hope this helped.
Good luck,
CraigH345
Reply 2
Thanks craigh345 for your response. :smile:
Reply 3
Hi TheWakeUpCall,

I chose it to get a good job, but also to progress my skills significantly as I was and still am interested in computing. I wanted to progress my programming skills especially.
Reply 4
Original post by TheWakeUpCall
Hi everyone,

If you could give me a minute or so of your time that would be really helpful.

I am currently a computer science (CS) student and I have an assignment to make an animation to get teenagers (roughly 11-18) interested in computer science. The idea is that it would show them that CS is an option to them at degree level, or even before.

So, if you are a CS student or are applying for CS degrees now, I would really like to hear from you what interests in CS enough to make you want to take it at degree level. I would be particularly interested from people who chose CS over maths, physics or other sciences and who until recently wouldn't have considered a CS course.

If you are not currently considering a CS course (or are a bit young to think about degrees), but are interested in maths and science, what would make you consider taking computer science or showing more interest in computer science. If you are applying for maths/science degrees, do you realise you can take CS without prior programming experience?

Also, girls, what are your thoughts on computer science? Why do you think it's traditionally taken up by guys more than girls?

Thanks everyone for their time. I would really appreciate any replies and let's see if we can get a discussion going. This might also be a good place to ask a CS student questions about CS if you are unsure about it.

Hello TheWakeUpCall, I'm currently a Y1 student studying Computer Science.

One of the main reasons why I choose to do Computer Science is because of the number of jobs out there in the Computing sector. It's reassuring knowing that when I graduate I should be able to get a job whereas in other degrees you never know if you will get a job with that degree.

Being interested in Technology in general is another reason why I choose to take on Computer Science. I'm constantly looking up technology related news and to be able to work in the computing industry would be quite interesting imo.

I knew that I could take Computer Science without having done any programming before but luckily my IT teacher at school showed us some programming and allowed us to do a litte bit of programming and that helped convince me to do it at uni.

While sitting at a desk all day isn't the most interesting things to do, in other sectors you're basically doing the same work over and over again. In computing, you could be programming a system for a toll booth or you could be programming some robot to move. Basically there's endless possibilities to what you can program.

Hope that answers most of your questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending