The Student Room Group

Overtaking a car before and he sped up and tried to not let me past

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rock Fan
I am not saying that, I am just saying following someone close behind can be very dangerous as well, I didn't say the other guy wasn't in the wrong either.

You've been arguing that both are equally dangerous, and I'm trying to make a point which is that they are not even close.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Both driving a bit dangerously to be honest. It sounds like there was no need to overtake (you said yourself he was at the speed limit) and he drove in a way that stopped you speeding. I'd say he was less in the wrong than you - you instigated the dangerous incident needlessly.

What the hell are you on? He sped up while the OP was overtaking which is very dangerous and I'm sure that's an offence in the Highway code or something. Granted, the OP wasn't innocent (tailgating beforehand etc) but he certainly isn't more in the wrong.
Original post by officelinebacker
You've been arguing that both are equally dangerous, and I'm trying to make a point which is that they are not even close.

No I didn't write that out well, I meant both were silly things to do, following someone too close is asking for trouble as is speeding up when you are about to be overtaken, sure the second situation is more likely to be fatal but still it isn't smart following someone very close.
Original post by Ice Constricter
What the hell are you on? He sped up while the OP was overtaking which is very dangerous and I'm sure that's an offence in the Highway code or something. Granted, the OP wasn't innocent (tailgating beforehand etc) but he certainly isn't more in the wrong.

They're both in the wrong here.

However, I would say the OP was more in the wrong, because he instigated the incident needlessly. If the car in front had been driving at 20mph in a 30mph zone, that'd be different. But both cars were already above the speed limit, and the OP chose to exacerbate that. The driver in front, in some ways, did the only natural thing.
I'm pretty sure the Highway Code says that you should reduce your speed to allow a car struggling to overtake to pass you.

#168 https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

Regardless though of whether or not OP should have been overtaking, it would have been safer for the other driver to let OP pass. If someone was rightup my arse I'd rather let them go ahead so they don't end up going into the back of my car!
(edited 11 years ago)
Were you driving very close t him for a while (your OP seems to suggest this). Maybe this pissed him off enough to spark some road rage.

But what he did is incredibly stupid. If anyone tries to overtake me on a single carriageway, where a car is coming or might come in the opposite direction, I slow down a bit to help them past quicker in case they've misjudged it.

However, I would say the OP was more in the wrong, because he instigated the incident needlessly. If the car in front had been driving at 20mph in a 30mph zone, that'd be different. But both cars were already above the speed limit, and the OP chose to exacerbate that. The driver in front, in some ways, did the only natural thing.

The guys actions nearly resulted in the OP having a head on collison (by speeding up when they were being overtaken) which in itself is a very stupid and dangerous manoeuvre, so I think it's safe to say they were both equally in the wrong.
Reply 47
This thread clearly shows how the inapropriate actions of one driver can initiate the even more inapropriate actions of another
Reply 48

The driver in front did "the only natural thing" by speeding up and blocking an overtake? Really? The other driver put both their lives at a considerably higher risk for no reason at all.

Like I said in my previous post, the OP may well have been driving aggressively and needlessly, but there is still NO excuse for the other driver to speed up and block the overtake.

I think it is actually quite scary that some people seem to think what the other driver did was anything other than unnecessary and extremely dangerous.
Original post by 1992LP
Whether OP's driving could have been interpreted as aggressive or questionable, there is NO excuse for speeding up to block an overtake.

It is seriously dangerous and puts a lot of people's lives in danger. Even if the OP was driving too fast, then the other car should have just let him past instead of trying to block him. What does that achieve?

I agree.
Yes- the OP shouldnt have been speeding.
But there is no excuse for the other driver to speed up to stop someone overtaking. It could cause a serious accident. If the OP was annoying the other driver that much, then they should have let the OP overtake and go on his way, not block him. Blocking him is a bit pathetic and doesnt really archieve anything.
Original post by No Regrets
I was coming home before to pick someone up to take them the hospital as there was a minor emergency, I was driving behind a car which was driving at about the speed limit but I was driving a little to close to him as I was in quite a rush, I could see he was looking at me with anticipation through his rear mirror as if he knew I planned to over take. I stayed behind him as although there was chance to overtake I was approaching arounabout.

After the roundabout there was a long 40 MPH strait and no cars were coming in the opposite direction, I decided now was a good time to overtake so I got my speed to 50 MPH and began my overtake, Then the driver of the black car sped up and before I knew it I was doing 60 mph, I then saw another car approaching so I had to get back in my lane, yet the black car wouldn't let me past.

I slowed right down to about 30 MPH and got back behind the black car, then he slowed down again below the limit in front of me!

Why did he do this, it really pissed me off and put me in danger!?

There are many such 'dicks' on the road. Hence the need of defensive driving.
Reply 51
By the sounds of it you were overtaking someone on a single lane road?? Plus you were speeding. And now you're moaning about the other driver...People like you cause accidents. An emergency is not an excuse, call an ambulance.
Original post by 1992LP
The driver in front did "the only natural thing" by speeding up and blocking an overtake? Really? The other driver put both their lives at a considerably higher risk for no reason at all.

Like I said in my previous post, the OP may well have been driving aggressively and needlessly, but there is still NO excuse for the other driver to speed up and block the overtake.

I think it is actually quite scary that some people seem to think what the other driver did was anything other than unnecessary and extremely dangerous.

I'm not sure if we're reading the same post here. Let me summarise how I took events:

OP = Ted
Car in front = Bill

- Ted is driving behind Bill on a road. They are both at the speed limit.

Carpost1.png

- Ted is in a rush, so he decides to overtake. This requires Ted to drive 10mph above the speed limit, and position himself in the middle of the road.

Carpost2.png

- Bill, feeling concerned at the car behind him increasing his speed, when he really shouldn't be, speeds up so as not to crash. Had Bill not increased his speed, this could easily have happened:

Carpost3.png

- Fortunately for Ted, he has space to go back into his lane when a car does approach towards him. If Bill had not sped up, Ted could have blocked the oncoming traffic.

Overtaking should never exceed the speed limit. I'll admit that it was wrong of the driver in front to accelerate, however it was clearly extremely dangerous driving by the OP and the driver in front can't be blamed for his actions, it may well have avoided an accident for the OP. That might be why he slowed you down.

Moral of the story OP: Drive better.
Reply 53
I'm not sure if we're reading the same post here. Let me summarise how I took events:

OP = Ted
Car in front = Bill

- Ted is driving behind Bill on a road. They are both at the speed limit.

Carpost1.png

- Ted is in a rush, so he decides to overtake. This requires Ted to drive 10mph above the speed limit, and position himself in the middle of the road.

Carpost2.png

- Bill, feeling concerned at the car behind him increasing his speed, when he really shouldn't be, speeds up so as not to crash. Had Bill not increased his speed, this could easily have happened:

Carpost3.png

- Fortunately for Ted, he has space to go back into his lane when a car does approach towards him. If Bill had not sped up, Ted could have blocked the oncoming traffic.

Overtaking should never exceed the speed limit. I'll admit that it was wrong of the driver in front to accelerate, however it was clearly extremely dangerous driving by the OP and the driver in front can't be blamed for his actions, it may well have avoided an accident for the OP. That might be why he slowed you down.

Moral of the story OP: Drive better.

Good diagrams there - makes explaining easier!

I still think that there is no excuse at all for someone to speed up and block an overtake - OP said that when he pulled out there were no cars coming. How was Bill to know that Ted wasn't going to put his foot down and try and complete the overtake rather than slam on the brakes and pull in behind Bill?

What you are saying does, in theory, make sense, but in practice you are saying that Bill is second guessing Ted and trying to predict how he will react in a bad situation. By doing this, had Ted tried to speed up and pull in (we don't know if Ted had just pulled out or was alongside Bill when Bill sped up) then Bill could have potentially left Ted no space to pull in and caused a head on crash.

As for overtaking not exceeding the speed limit, I don't agree. Excessive speeding is unnecessary, but surely you want to be on the wrong side of the road for as little time as possible? When overtaking a long vehicle it is inevitable that you may exceed 60 mph.

Anyway, we are digressing a bit! I agree with you in the fact that OP's driving my well have been out of order (I say "may" as we didn't actually see what happened, but it sounds like it might have been) but I still maintain that speeding up to block an overtake is extremely dangerous and irresponsible and there is no excuse at all for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending