The Student Room Group

Urgent mooting help needed (contract law)

I'm mooting tomorrow. Well, supposedly. I've been reading this for days and days and I can't get a skeleton together! I don't know what's going on. Here is my point of appeal:

2. The contract being a valid one, that Ryker J. erred in law by concluding that the consequential loss suffered by Hathaway Technology Ltd. as a result of Picard Industries Ltd.’s breach were of a type too remote in law to be recoverable (relied on Victoria Laundry v Newman Industries)

I won't bore you with the facts, it's not really needed here. All I will say, though, is that the party who breached were manufacturing a key component for the product that I (as Hathaway Tech) entered into another contract to sell. So basically when Picard didn't send me their component, I couldn't fulfil y contract with the next company.

Anyway here's what I've made clear so far. The first judge was wrong in concluding with Victoria Laundry - that case concerned special losses, e.g. entering into a particularly lucrative contract without making the party in breach aware of it beforehand. So that's obviously not the case here - if you're manufacturing an item, you know it's going to be sold on as part of the new product and that's normal business practice. It's not a 'special loss' because Picard would have 'reasonably foreseen' this, as per the test established in Handley v Baxendale.

So, what are the points for my skeleton? As far as I can tell it seems to be one point - the judge applied Victoria wrongly, and should've used Baxley instead, because Victoria concerned special losses and this case does not. A I missing something here? I was so bad at contract law last year and I have to do this tomorrow :/ I've been researching for days but I can't get my head around it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending