The Student Room Group

How do I get my focus back on my degree work?

Anon please, I have a lot of friends on here.

I met my current boyfriend in October, and we became official in January after the Christmas hols. I really like him and we spend a LOT of time together studying in the library, going out for dinners, and generally I stay over at his around four nights a week. While I absolutely love seeing him all the time, and won't mind if I got to spend more time with him, I am beginning to think this is relationship is taking the focus away from my degree.

I am in my final year, and am averaging a first at the moment and have a conditional from Oxford for next year. I was in a long distance last year and pretty unhappy, and as a result worked a lot harder last year; and I find this year that being in a great relationship has made me forget I have degree commitments.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
I almost shut myself off from the outside world during the final 2 years of my degree, which in retrospect, is absolutely ridiculous! I had a girlfriend when I was in year 1 but that ended half way through year 1. Since then, I started to focus more on uni and though I went out with friends, I ended up not having a girlfriend until I finished my 4th year exams and graduated! Mine is probably the other extreme and is not advisable!

Ideally, you want to find some middle ground where you can focus on your studies and at the same time have a girlfriend/boyfriend. If your boyfriend is doing the same degree as you or is at uni, he will understand when you need to spend the evenings working. You just need to be a bit disciplined I guess!
Reply 2
--
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I spent pretty much every day with my boyfriend from March-July in my third year and got a first. We used to go to the library together every day in revision time and I wrote most of my dissertation sat at his kitchen table. Maybe you could try that sort of thing? surely he has work too?
Original post by starforsure
Thanks! Yeah I guess we both need days off to study/relax; however, the trouble is that as soon I'm away from him I start to miss him. It's ridiculous! I've never been like this an we've been seeing each for for ages now!

Ah love, sweet love! lol I would just enjoy the feeling you have at the moment; it's not every day you find someone who makes you feel like that. I'm sure you'll find the right balance with time - don't stress over it too much!

Original post by redferry
I spent pretty much every day with my boyfriend from March-July in my third year and got a first. We used to go to the library together every day in revision time and I wrote most of my dissertation sat at his kitchen table. Maybe you could try that sort of thing? surely he has work too?

I so envy those who can pull off things like this! lol Nice one though, well done!
Reply 5
Original post by superduper9

I so envy those who can pull off things like this! lol Nice one though, well done!

It's not difficult if both of you want to do well! I guess we are just both very work focused.
My boyfriend is the one who deserves the real applause, he finished with over 80% for his degree =/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending