The Student Room Group

Is accounting difficult at university if you've never studied it before?

At A Level? I am studying economics and maths, however. How difficult is it starting from scratch?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Not very, I can't imagine A-level Accounts would give you much of an advantage (if any). Maths beats accounts ten times over.
Reply 2
Original post by bestofyou
Not very, I can't imagine A-level Accounts would give you much of an advantage (if any). Maths beats accounts ten times over.

Thanks, that's what I was told prior to choosing my AS subjects, which was why I chose not to do accounting (also in case I changed my mind about what I wanted to do at uni).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Reply 4
No don't agree, A level accounts gives a strong base for degree level study - it will make 1st year accounting very easy indeed.

Maths does not beat accounting 10x over. Maths will do you zero good if you want to be an equity analyst, fund manager, buisness manager, accountant or corporate financier.
Reply 5
Original post by Zenomorph
No don't agree, A level accounts gives a strong base for degree level study - it will make 1st year accounting very easy indeed.

Maths does not beat accounting 10x over. Maths will do you zero good if you want to be an equity analyst, fund manager, buisness manager, accountant or corporate financier.

So do you think it will be really difficult if I've never done accounting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Well I won't agree with this. The maths is proof that you have potential for good analysis and problem solving, plus will give you a head start when it comes to the modules of the degree with lots of mathematics. Nobody wants to be sitting learning or recapping mathematics when they should be studying something else.

The points you mentioned are careers, not degree modules, which is not what the OP is asking about. Besides, A-level maths will not do much good for those careers (though I'd still say it looks better than A-level Accounting on a CV) but she will have an Accountancy degree and this point, so who would give a **** about A-level accounts at that stage? It is the same as saying that a journalist is at a disadvantage because they never did media studies or even English at A-level.

You say that the first year will be much easier with the A-level, maybe true, however the maths A-level can be used across the full course, not just one year. Also a key point is that due to the nature of mathematics learning/revision which requires you to first learn and fully understand the intuition of a topic and then clock up countless hours spread over weeks of practising these topics makes the subject very hard to learn at university because they do not teach at uni. In a nutshell what I am rambling about here is that at university, it will be easier to learn the accounting content than the mathematical content, even if there is much more of the accounting, the maths A-level would be more beneficial.

Having the maths A-level allows her to concentrate more on the accounts side of things.

Another point to consider is that some universities, particularly the higher end ones, will consider A-level accounts as a 'soft' subject. So in terms of applying to universities, Maths certainly is ten times more useful to have. You also need to question why the university would prefer maths A-level to that of accounts...

Original post by JodieW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely not. Arguments of maths vs. accounts aside, you should remember that many accountants choose to skip university altogether (particularly now with the high fees) and go straight into the ACCA training after leaving 6th form. I know a charted accountant with no degree. I know several more with degrees in subjects such as economic history, or whatever. So if you can get into accountancy fairly easily without a degree in it, why would you think you would struggle at degree level because you have no A-level accounts?

One accountant told me that it is actually better to study something such as finance, economic etc. at university, simply because they can transfer easily into accountancy training and also when you graduate with an accountancy degree you end up going over the same stuff you did at university (though take the latter point that with a pinch of salt as he didn't do an accountancy degree so couldn't speak from experience).

A degree in something like finance or financial economics will allow you into most accountancy grad schemes if not all of them, not only that but they also allow you into grad schemes that an accountancy may not. In other words picking a more broad degree will open up more doors for you while keeping the accountancy ones open. Just something you may want to consider when applying.

Also, what is your thrid subject? You only listed maths and economics...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Well I won't agree with this. The maths is proof that you have potential for good analysis and problem solving, plus will give you a head start when it comes to the modules of the degree with lots of mathematics. Nobody wants to be sitting learning or recapping mathematics when they should be studying something else.

The points you mentioned are careers, not degree modules, which is not what the OP is asking about. Besides, A-level maths will not do much good for those careers (though I'd still say it looks better than A-level Accounting on a CV) but she will have an Accountancy degree and this point, so who would give a **** about A-level accounts at that stage? It is the same as saying that a journalist is at a disadvantage because they never did media studies or even English at A-level.

You say that the first year will be much easier with the A-level, maybe true, however the maths A-level can be used across the full course, not just one year. Also a key point is that due to the nature of mathematics learning/revision which requires you to first learn and fully understand the intuition of a topic and then clock up countless hours spread over weeks of practising these topics makes the subject very hard to learn at university because they do not teach at uni. In a nutshell what I am rambling about here is that at university, it will be easier to learn the accounting content than the mathematical content, even if there is much more of the accounting, the maths A-level would be more beneficial.

Having the maths A-level allows her to concentrate more on the accounts side of things.

Another point to consider is that some universities, particularly the higher end ones, will consider A-level accounts as a 'soft' subject. So in terms of applying to universities, Maths certainly is ten times more useful to have. You also need to question why the university would prefer maths A-level to that of accounts...

Absolutely not. Arguments of maths vs. accounts aside, you should remember that many accountants choose to skip university altogether (particularly now with the high fees) and go straight into the ACCA training after leaving 6th form. I know a charted accountant with no degree. I know several more with degrees in subjects such as economic history, or whatever. So if you can get into accountancy fairly easily without a degree in it, why would you think you would struggle at degree level because you have no A-level accounts?

One accountant told me that it is actually better to study something such as finance, economic etc. at university, simply because they can transfer easily into accountancy training and also when you graduate with an accountancy degree you end up going over the same stuff you did at university (though take the latter point that with a pinch of salt as he didn't do an accountancy degree so couldn't speak from experience).

A degree in something like finance or financial economics will allow you into most accountancy grad schemes if not all of them, not only that but they also allow you into grad schemes that an accountancy may not. In other words picking a more broad degree will open up more doors for you while keeping the accountancy ones open. Just something you may want to consider when applying.

Thank you, really helpful response! My third subject is English literature which I didn't think was relevant but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, what is ACCA exactly? I've heard about it but I don't know if its as good a route as getting a degree at university; is it a better choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by JodieW
Thank you, really helpful response! My third subject is English literature which I didn't think was relevant but correct me if I'm wrong. Also, what is ACCA exactly? I've heard about it but I don't know if its as good a route as getting a degree at university; is it a better choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ACCA is basically a global body for accounting. If you decide to go for an accountancy degree at university, you will want to make sure the degree offers accreditation by the ACCA or another governing body. I have copied an extract from QUB below which mentions the potential accreditations for their degree. There are many finance degrees (or related) that have ACCA or similar accreditation, which again, supports the point I was making about that you don't need an accountancy degree. Regardless of the type of degree you go for, it is usually a good idea to check if there is accreditation available and if there is check if the course is accredited, in this day and age having an accredited course on your CV can be the difference between getting a job and not getting it in tie break situations.

http://www2.accaglobal.com/about/
http://www.icaew.com/en

I don't think that any particular route is 'better' as such as the both end up with the accreditation by which ever body. However a degree can give your CV an extra edge, but that can also be countered by saying the school leaver route gives you an extra 3/4 years work experience which, in a world of countless graduates applying for jobs can be more valuable than a degree. One key point you should know is that often when you take the on job training route you still come out with a degree in the end anyway. You basically just study the degree part-time over 4-6 years maybe while working at the same time. Have a look at this for example: http://www2.kpmgcareers.co.uk/school-leavers/school-leaver-programme/

Though I am not sure how easy it would be to get a job in accountancy after 6th form and as I don't personally know anyone who went down this route I'd suggest trying to find out information like that. Particularly now with the rise is fees, competition for accountancy training schemes that only require A-levels, I suspect, would be much harder.
Check out these links to get you started.

Taken from the QUB site - Accreditation/Exemptions: the Accounting degree attracts the maximum exemptions available for any undergraduate programme from the examinations of Chartered Accountants Ireland, subject to meeting specified criteria. Exemptions are also available from the examinations of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
Reply 9
Original post by JodieW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put it this way, if the lecturer / module is crap then if you've done A level Accounts, at least you will have that to fall back on - from what I have seen it covers 3/4 of most 1st year accounting modules.

The 1st years at Sussex are currently suffering this dilemma and those who are doing accounts for the 1st time are suffering the most. I would say that this is a pretty average experience.

Also as you have seen for careers mentioned and that is a very wide cross section , accounts is very useful.

Yes of course maths is too , but it limited more to purely academic pursuits. As said for all those professions mentioned hard core maths perse is hardly used unless you count adding, subtracting, multiplication and division hardcore.
Reply 10

You've obviously done very little accounting before.There is very little maths in accountancy.

And yes of course I am talking about careers as that is ultimately where university study leads to.

I am not saying maths is not good but for careers I mentioned in particular, accountancy is much more directly useful.

Also if you have accounting background, you get a lot of exemptions from ACCA - it is much easier to take it when you are already have 3 years accounting related study under your belt.
You've obviously done very little accounting before.There is very little maths in accountancy.

And yes of course I am talking about careers as that is ultimately where university study leads to.

I am not saying maths is not good but for careers I mentioned in particular, accountancy is much more directly useful.

Also if you have accounting background, you get a lot of exemptions from ACCA - it is much easier to take it when you are already have 3 years accounting related study under your belt.

Regardless, it is still proof of good analytical skills and problem solving with numbers.

Why would you want a qualification that covers the same thing as your course while looking ahead to careers? You would want a will rounded CV, not just a bunch of accounting qualifications that trump one another, in other words the A-level accounts is rendered useless on a CV in combination with the degree. Maths doesn't provide this problem. The careers you mentioned therefore, doesn't matter at all, since you would be covering the content learned at A-level in the degree. It would be like having a foundation degree in accounts and combining that with a full degree in accounts and expecting an employer to think the foundation degree is a bonus because it fills an extra line with an accounting related qualification on a CV, when in fact the reality of the situation is you gained no extra knowledge or skills with the foundation. Which just supports my point that A-level accounts will certainly not be of any use after the first year of the degree...it is rendered trivial after the content is covered in the degree. So no, A-level accountancy is not more directly useful for those careers.
Reply 12
Again, thanks for all the responses, especially to bestofyou. I'm more inclined to believe what you're saying, so thanks for the reassurance. The point you just made was one that my tutor made also, about how the first year was dedicated to ensuring everyone was on the same page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Well I'm sorry but you're completely wrong. You need at least a basic understanding of accounting before jumping straight into degree level. I'm studying accounting at degree level now and before hand I had to do 3 years prior study before I felt confident enough to go to university. It's very hard and you'll need to study a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending