The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Join/Start a finance/investment society.
Reply 2
You may have a problem with GS, MS, JP etc Although depending on what extras you manage to add, then this may be a reality

But somewhere like RBC, Bear Stearns, BNP Paribas, CIBC would be easier to come by.
gracex
I'm starting at Leeds University in september doing Maths and Finance. Im hoping to get AAB in my ALevels. Do I have any chance of getting into front or middle office? Also any advice on things I could do to increase my chances of getting into IB would be much appreciated.

if you are predicted AAB, why are you applying to Leeds anyway? Is it the course you like in particular, or the place itself etc?? I cant understand why you would want to apply there with good grades like that. You would have a much better chance if you had gone somewhere like Notts, Manchester, Bristol. You may have even had a shot at UCL. But going to Leeds will putyou in a very weak position with all the competetiveness surrounding IB now.
Reply 4
oops, guessing I made the wrong decision then. I got an offer from Manchester and rejected it. Would you advise taking a year out and re-applying again to better universities?
Notts, Bristol and UCL will absolutely reject you with just AAB for straight Economics.

And to be honest, in front office IB, most do have AAA or better...
President_Ben
Notts, Bristol and UCL will absolutely reject you with just AAB for straight Economics.

And to be honest, in front office IB, most do have AAA or better...

Rejected on AAB?! Are you sure about that Ben? Only places I know that have AAA course requirements are Oxbridge, a few courses at Imperial and LSE Econ...
Reply 7
I wouldn't be applying for straight economics. I would apply for Mathematics possibly with economics. But the reason I didnt apply for better universities was because I thought I would have any chance of getting in.
LBC213
Rejected on AAB?! Are you sure about that Ben? Only places I know that have AAA course requirements are Oxbridge, a few courses at Imperial and LSE Econ...

UCL has been AAA for years. Bristol too. Nottingham is AAA or AABB.

Warwick is AAB in offers but they generally get for AAA students or those who had offers above AAA that didn't make it.
you just learned a very important lesson my friend : you can have 6 uni choices remember to choose diversity over personal feelings next time :-)
gracex
oops, guessing I made the wrong decision then. I got an offer from Manchester and rejected it. Would you advise taking a year out and re-applying again to better universities?

depends how far you want to go to get to a front/ middle office position in an IB. If you did take a gap year, you could possibly boost your B up to an A by focusing on it, do some good EC's/ WE and by the end of the year, be ready to apply to a top university with top a-level grades. But if you really want to go to Leeds thats up to you, I just cant imagine there being anyone outside a top 10 uni for economics/ maths/ engineering/ finance working at a good IB (front office that is). You could be in with a chance middle or back ofifce.
RogueTrader
depends how far you want to go to get to a front/ middle office position in an IB. If you did take a gap year, you could possibly boost your B up to an A by focusing on it, do some good EC's/ WE and by the end of the year, be ready to apply to a top university with top a-level grades. But if you really want to go to Leeds thats up to you, I just cant imagine there being anyone outside a top 10 uni for economics/ maths/ engineering/ finance working at a good IB (front office that is). You could be in with a chance middle or back ofifce.

There was a clown on here a couple of days back claiming his brother was in GS front office with a Reading 2.2 and no ECs.

Also, certainly possible to retake, but I dunno how favourably the top unis/banks will look at that.
LBC213
There was a clown on here a couple of days back claiming his brother was in GS front office with a Reading 2.2 and no ECs.

Also, certainly possible to retake, but I dunno how favourably the top unis/banks will look at that.

LOL. Thats just funny.

I didnt think all universities knew if you had taken resits- just oxbridge and a few others. Maybe Im wrong. Is it only oxbridge who sees your UMS marks though?
RogueTrader
LOL. Thats just funny.

I didnt think all universities knew if you had taken resits- just oxbridge and a few others. Maybe Im wrong. Is it only oxbridge who sees your UMS marks though?

Only Cambridge look at UMS marks, last I knew, dunno if any other university has started to. I think its fine to do resits, but not if you repeat a year. However, in the case of the OP I guess they wouldn't be repeating an entire year and so shouldn't be much of a problem.
You can take a year-out, resit the third subject to bump the B to an A and reapply - but by this, you would be reapplying with 2 A2 grades declared, and one as 'pending'. Taking a subject into the third year is surely going to be frowned upon, especially given the tough competition for places. If you structure something productive beyond academia in your gap-year also, it shouldn't matter as much - but I don't think anyone but the admissions will be able to tell you the true implications. So, give them an e-mail/ring before making any decisions.

Then again, you would only need to resit modules if you're looking at AAA courses. If it were AAB, then you would be reapplying as a post A-Level applicant, which arguably has some slight advantage.
:yy:
LBC213

Somehow that 'clown' managed to get an offer for Law at Oxford. No idea how. His username is lamps.

Maybe he made up great stories like the above in his interview.
charlie_w
Somehow that 'clown' managed to get an offer for Law at Oxford. No idea how. His username is lamps.

Maybe he made up great stories like the above in his interview.

Lol, I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or serious, but either way, his reasoning on the whole "people trying to limit the competition" was rubbish.
No, serouisly check his signiture.
Was Law at Cam, apparently. Which he has declined for Durham. Every year, someone fails their degree...
hmmm.....

Latest

Trending

Trending