The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

International business at Kingston uni..opinions please!!!!

Hi, I applied to International Business at Kingston uni and currently holds an offer for it.
Am hoping to apply for kingston as my first choice.

I couldn't make it for an open day, so I would like to know, as much as possible, about kingston uni.

Please help... i really need some opinions.
Student experiences would be so helpful too...

:smile:
Reply 1
hi there, I just happen to be scrolling through when I saw this and thought as a international business student KU I should probably answer. so yh about the course, its taught at the Kingston hill business school a nice beautiful campus, really hilly though and kinda secluded not so great food but theres a subway. the actual course material will be the same stuff taught to all business in the first year. they're taught in different modules looking at different aspects of business, im not sure if they'll change it next year (I doubt they will) the core modules are business informations systems its all about the use of computer softwares and how you can use them in business operations and decision making, this class is kinda boring so bare with it. managing yourself and others looks at the employee side of business (like how to motivate them how managers so act to ensure employees stay productive among other things). business environment looks at the economic side of business and how the external environment can and will affect it. there are also some elective modules like marketing and business communications (this class will make you want to shoot yourself 100x), language (Spanish,french, mandarin this is compulsory for IB students) and enterprise skills (I don't do this module but I heard it waaaaaaay long).
I get that I kinda rambled on a but but my opinion on the course its a good all rounder, it makes you look at all aspects of business which is great because you will get to know all these things plus if your not sure where in business you wanna end up by as the years progress you'll figure out where you wanna end up. if you got any other questions feel free to ask :biggrin:.
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by paula.a
business communications (this class will make you want to shoot yourself 100x)

This x10000

Urgh. Such a depressing module, and to think marketing was only half a semester as well.
Reply 3
Original post by paula.a
hi there, I just happen to be scrolling through when I saw this and thought as a international business student KU I should probably answer. so yh about the course, its taught at the Kingston hill business school a nice beautiful campus, really hilly though and kinda secluded not so great food but theres a subway. the actual course material will be the same stuff taught to all business in the first year. they're taught in different modules looking at different aspects of business, im not sure if they'll change it next year (I doubt they will) the core modules are business informations systems its all about the use of computer softwares and how you can use them in business operations and decision making, this class is kinda boring so bare with it. managing yourself and others looks at the employee side of business (like how to motivate them how managers so act to ensure employees stay productive among other things). business environment looks at the economic side of business and how the external environment can and will affect it. there are also some elective modules like marketing and business communications (this class will make you want to shoot yourself 100x), language (Spanish,french, mandarin this is compulsory for IB students) and enterprise skills (I don't do this module but I heard it waaaaaaay long).
I get that I kinda rambled on a but but my opinion on the course its a good all rounder, it makes you look at all aspects of business which is great because you will get to know all these things plus if your not sure where in business you wanna end up by as the years progress you'll figure out where you wanna end up. if you got any other questions feel free to ask :biggrin:.

Thank you so much for telling me so much. It was funny to read and seems like a good course. Anyway I firmed Kingston.
Do you know anything about industrial placement in the 3rd year? I choose the 4 year sandwich course.
Reply 4
Original post by Seaton
This x10000

Urgh. Such a depressing module, and to think marketing was only half a semester as well.

By any chance would it be boring as doing chemistry, biology, physics and maths all together in A levels?

And this module is also compulsory, right?
Reply 5
Original post by Rosearies
By any chance would it be boring as doing chemistry, biology, physics and maths all together in A levels?

And this module is also compulsory, right?

Hi,

No, it is an elective module. Your choice is between Business Communications and Marketing. You would usually have a third choice of a language, but as that is compulsory for your course I'm guessing it won't be elective.

Choose Marketing. Save yourself!
Reply 6
Original post by Seaton
Hi,

No, it is an elective module. Your choice is between Business Communications and Marketing. You would usually have a third choice of a language, but as that is compulsory for your course I'm guessing it won't be elective.

Choose Marketing. Save yourself!

Oh.. Thats better.

Thanks! I think I would go for marketing if its an elective. :smile:
Reply 7
Oh.. Thats better.

Thanks! I think I would go for marketing if its an elective. :smile:

Ah! Someone who listens! :tongue:

I did Maths, Physical Science, Business Studies and Accounting for our A level equivalents, so also have a fair understanding of what constitutes a boring subject! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Seaton
Ah! Someone who listens! :tongue:

I did Maths, Physical Science, Business Studies and Accounting for our A level equivalents, so also have a fair understanding of what constitutes a boring subject! :biggrin:

Haha! Well, you have the experience, so why not listen to it. :smile:

I am not doing anything related to business, so am a little worried, how it would go for me. Am doing sciences and maths. So, I have no base in it. :frown:
Reply 9
Haha! Well, you have the experience, so why not listen to it. :smile:

I am not doing anything related to business, so am a little worried, how it would go for me. Am doing sciences and maths. So, I have no base in it. :frown:

It is all very simple and the first year would cover everything people would have done in A levels and a little more, so you have more than enough time to get up to speed.

Good luck wherever you end up. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Seaton
It is all very simple and the first year would cover everything people would have done in A levels and a little more, so you have more than enough time to get up to speed.

Good luck wherever you end up. :smile:

Ah! Thats a relief. Thanks for the help.

Thank you. Fingers crossed everything goes good. :smile:
Reply 11
Thank you so much for telling me so much. It was funny to read and seems like a good course. Anyway I firmed Kingston.
Do you know anything about industrial placement in the 3rd year? I choose the 4 year sandwich course.

sorry about the long reply, but yh im planning on taking a placement year aswell, if like me, you've applied to the three year course but want to take a placement I spoke to the module leader and she said its a simple administrative action to swtich from the 3 yr to the 4 yr course, its highly recommended to do a placement so start looking around the middle to the end of first yr. oh yh and about the electives you will do a language because you'll be doing international business. the elective system may change next year but if you do get the same choice we did pick marketing! business communications is annoying enterprise is long save yourself, pick marketing.
Reply 12
Ah! Thats a relief. Thanks for the help.

Thank you. Fingers crossed everything goes good. :smile:

oh just to back up what seaton said, loads of people on the course didn't so anything business related and one of the lecturers actually said that in some ways its good because you come from college with prior knowledge that may not be as correct and stuff so when you got a clean slate the can teach you from scratch rather than get you to change the way you think.
Reply 13
Original post by paula.a
sorry about the long reply, but yh im planning on taking a placement year aswell, if like me, you've applied to the three year course but want to take a placement I spoke to the module leader and she said its a simple administrative action to swtich from the 3 yr to the 4 yr course, its highly recommended to do a placement so start looking around the middle to the end of first yr. oh yh and about the electives you will do a language because you'll be doing international business. the elective system may change next year but if you do get the same choice we did pick marketing! business communications is annoying enterprise is long save yourself, pick marketing.

Its ok... i liked how you did tell all these things in detail.... thanks for that....

I applied for the 4yr sandwich course..... so i am definetly doing the placement....

hmm... Thats nice.... looking forward to the course after hearing from you all..... :smile:

i'd prefer marketing over business communication... especially after what you told about the elective.....

and by the way, when you say enterprise, do you mean the module on enterprenuership, where you start your own business or is it different?? :confused:

Thanks for the help too... :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by paula.a
oh just to back up what seaton said, loads of people on the course didn't so anything business related and one of the lecturers actually said that in some ways its good because you come from college with prior knowledge that may not be as correct and stuff so when you got a clean slate the can teach you from scratch rather than get you to change the way you think.

Am so happy to know that..... and so relieved too.... :smile:

Hmmm.... that sounds about right.... students in my college who did business said that they didn't learn much anyway.... so i guess, it's all good.... :smile:

Thanks again.... :smile:
Reply 15
Its ok... i liked how you did tell all these things in detail.... thanks for that....

I applied for the 4yr sandwich course..... so i am definetly doing the placement....

hmm... Thats nice.... looking forward to the course after hearing from you all..... :smile:

i'd prefer marketing over business communication... especially after what you told about the elective.....

and by the way, when you say enterprise, do you mean the module on enterprenuership, where you start your own business or is it different?? :confused:

Thanks for the help too... :smile:

enterprise courses are meant to give you the skills to succeed in business, if you want to start a business or work your way up in one. im sure its great but still waaaay long
Reply 16
Original post by paula.a
enterprise courses are meant to give you the skills to succeed in business, if you want to start a business or work your way up in one. im sure its great but still waaaay long

aahhh...ok.... thank u! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending