The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite philosopher?

Do you have a favourite philosopher? If so, who is it and why?

Do they have a particular quote that resonates with you?

My favourite is Bertrand Russell.

Bertrand Russell
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.

Scroll to see replies

Imanuel Kant. Morals can be devised from reason. Ask yourself, if everyone did this what would the world be like?
Reply 2
JS Mill for me.
Reply 3
Original post by miser

I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.

The above quote is so true :love:
Sartre or Camus.
Reply 5
Sartre or Nietzsche. I love me some existentialism.
Reply 6
...gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Nietzsche
Reply 7
Kant.
Socrates.
Nietzsche.
Daniel Dennett.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser
Do you have a favourite philosopher? If so, who is it and why?

Do they have a particular quote that resonates with you?

John Stuart Mill
Noam Chomsky
Reply 9
Rousseau
Reply 10
Nietzsche, then Spinoza
Reply 11
Kant, for his takes on moral and science. No particular favourite quote. I do like the stroll thing though.
Reply 12
Marx
Socrates!

All I am sure I know is that I know nothing!
philosoraptor
Reply 15
Original post by PostgradMatt
Imanuel Kant. Morals can be devised from reason. Ask yourself, if everyone did this what would the world be like?

Like Christianity? Kant's moral imperative was like a Christian 'thou shalt'.
Mill. Gets to the point of his noble arguments without the pretentious rhetorical crap that Kant, Nietzsche and others are famous for.

Haven't read much of him yet but Voltaire seems good also, and Chomsky too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Tuerin
Mill. Gets to the point of his noble arguments without the pretentious rhetorical crap that Kant, Nietzsche and others are famous for.

Haven't read much of him yet but Voltaire seems good also, and Chomsky too.

Nietzche blieved that Mill's philosophy was ignoble and vulgar.

"Against John Stuart Mill.— I abhor his vulgarity, which says: "what is right for one is fair for another"; "what you would not, etc., do not unto others"; which wants to establish all human intercourse on the basis of mutual services, so that every action appears as a kind of payment for something done to us. The presupposition here is ignoble in the lowest sense: here an equivalence of value between my actions and yours is presupposed; here the most personal value of an action is simply annulled (that which cannot be balanced or paid in any way"
Reply 18
Overall I'd have to say Hume. I also really like the ideas of David Velleman, who's a contemporary philosopher.
Reply 19
Original post by Tuerin
Nice google searching. First search item too. Ouch.

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=off&q=nietzsche+on+mill&spell=1&sa=X&ei=L1JMUbemFInX0QWBw4DICA&ved=0CC4QvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=b26dd58691846de1&biw=1366&bih=643

Do you not have any ideas or intellectual explorations of your own? And if you're going to resort to google searching for your contributions at least elaborate on them. Don't just lump quotations you've nipped from the first page of a google search without at least commenting on them.

I couldn't care less what Nietzsche thought about anything. To me, he was a clown. Mill had some sense and economy in his work which I admire.

I've read Nietzsche's works, and knew he wrote something about Mill, so I needed a quick reference from which to copy and paste. I'm hardly going to go through Nietzsche's entire library for a quote. That's what the internet is there for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending