The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by ameelia22
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get a bit of advice really about HCA posts and stuff.

So I was interviewed by a really lovely lady, and the interview went quite well, although I didn't get the job on her ward. She rung me up the next day to tell me, but also said that I was "too good to let go," so asked her fellow colleagues if they had any openings for me. 1 did, and earlier today I had an 'informal interview' with him, just so he can get to know me, and decide if he likes me.

He gave me the job there and then, did the whole welcome aboard speech etc. The offer is currently on condition that all of my references come through fine, CRB and occupational health. Now i've got the job, I'm a little concerned about how far away it is.

It's 30 minutes by car. But it's about 1.5 hours by public transport. For the first couple of months I'll be using my pay-packet to learn how to drive, buy a car, pass and stuff, so it shouldn't be an issue for more than a few months. It's one of those areas that are just served by like Diamond / Johnsons buses so it's pretty much in-the-middle-of-nowhere. The last buses are 1952, 1957, 2005, and 2012 to the nearest train station. It is an ideal HCA post on a cardio ward. I'll most likely be working 3 x 12.5 hour days / week. (Start at 7.30am finish at 8pm) It is a full time post, and we as soon as the paper work goes through i'm in, which is fantastic because I want to start ASAP.

The guy seemed alright, very very laid back, but I'm not quite sure what to make of him. He kept saying things like, "your very confident, aren't you?" (and what am I meant to say that?!) and "You really really want a job," (his english was far from excellent, and I did clarify, I didn't "really really want a job," - I really really wanted this job...) I met the team, and i'm a bit anxious about it, because I'm unsure as to how well i'll get on with the nurses.

So my dilemma really is this - is it worth it? The travelling might be too stressful? If I miss the last bus, i'll be forking out £8.00 for a taxi. I'll be getting a 0613 train to arrive at the hospital comfortably before my shift starts at 7.30am, which will involve having to get up and get ready at 0520. I'm also a bit anxious about the team. I've been applying for posts since March and this is the first one i've got!

Take it! You may not get such a good chance again! Plus, bear in mind, the money you make is quite a lot more than most of our fellow gap year students :tongue: 3 12.5 hour shifts are reasonable I think. If it was 5 days, then I'd have second thoughts but I'll let you know they're pretty intense (the long shifts!).
Reply 381
Original post by Gulzar
Hi there, I didn't manage to get into med school this year and am now reapplying this year. You're story is really inspirational...not that I havn't heard many others :biggrin:
Would you mind answering a very quick question? For my gap year I want to work as a HCA. How can I include any experience of that in my PS when I havn't done anything yet (if you see what I mean). I have to apply by october but I doubt I will be working by then. Do I just say I am going to work as a HCA in my gap year and list what I hope to gain?

Also what is it like as a HCA? Can you wear anything you want (I'm not a fan of the nhs uniform lol)? What is the best thing about the job? Are you allowed to take blood?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I would really love to hear from a successful applicant like yourself...and hopefully follow in your footsteps :smile::wink:

You're gonna send your PS off in October! Try your best to get a job before then because you can honestly devote a whole paragraph in your PS to it and it REALLY helps. I personally was working from July straight after my A levels :tongue:

If you can't do that, then briefly mention it and say I hope to gain x and y from this but no more than that.

You do have a uniform you have to wear as a HCA :lol: It's kinda crap, but it's gotta be done. The best thing about the job is the patient interaction and those who genuinely appreciate what you do for them :smile: No, you're not allowed to take blood, but you can take courses and stuff to learn all this (but you may hae to pay for this!). I'm for example planning on taking a course in cannulation if I can :smile: It's so varied and fun and interesting but it is VERY hard work. But the pros definitely outweigh the cons! :smile:
Original post by Gulzar
For my gap year I want to work as a HCA. How can I include any experience of that in my PS when I havn't done anything yet (if you see what I mean). I have to apply by october but I doubt I will be working by then. Do I just say I am going to work as a HCA in my gap year and list what I hope to gain?

Having an August DOB and knowing about the 17+ age limit applied by many hospitals, I thought I would struggle to get any clinical experience in time for my UCAS application, and asked for advice at Open Days. The advice was pretty much what you intend to do - talk about what you hope to do, and what you hope to get out of it. Having said that, it's not ideal. If you were able to get some medical placements during the previous cycle, you should still say more about them, imo (and if you didn't get any clinical experience, you should try again to get some). Good luck!
When do you guys start preparing for the UKCAT? I'm hoping to start maybe mid July just doing a little work then pick it up in August hopefully to take the test mid August. I'm really hoping this year Newcastle does not have such a sky high cut off because I really like Newcastle :redface:
Original post by raveen789
When do you guys start preparing for the UKCAT? I'm hoping to start maybe mid July just doing a little work then pick it up in August hopefully to take the test mid August. I'm really hoping this year Newcastle does not have such a sky high cut off because I really like Newcastle :redface:

You plan seems about right - 3-4 weeks of prep, then take the test well before the UCAS system opens, so that you have time to finalise the uni's you'll apply to. If you book the test now, you can always change the date at short notice (and at no cost).

Who knows what Newcastle will do this year? They've been increasing the threshold in recent years, but the 2013 entry threshold was still a shock to a lot of people. Good luck!

Make sure you get loads of practice in for the ukcat with practice questions! I've started now! use ukcathelp .org; working a treat for me atm!
Thought this would be of interest to some wondering universities that give advantage to those with grades in hand. Straight from leeds website on the updated admissions policy.

What do I require at GSCE?

A reasonable range of good grades including at least 6 grade Bs including English and Maths, and either Dual Science or Chemistry and Biology. We base our score on your nine best GCSEs; extra GCSEs are not counted. If you have "cashed in" your A2 credits, we will consider this on the same scale as the GCSE and will take the higher of your two scores. Three "cashed in" A2's at grade A are considered the equivalent of nine GCSE A*'s. You should note the six GCSEs at grade B is our minimum possible requirement and the majority of our applciants offer significantly more than this. We do not usually consider GCSE short courses.

Thus if your a reapplicant you will score full academic marks in the pre-interview selection process. :smile:

Still not a safe chocie by any means but if you have a decent ukcat and personal statement and you like leeds this gives hope!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Richyp22
Thought this would be of interest to some wondering universities that give advantage to those with grades in hand. Straight from leeds website on the updated admissions policy.

A reasonable range of good grades including at least 6 grade Bs including English and Maths, and either Dual Science or Chemistry and Biology. We base our score on your nine best GCSEs; extra GCSEs are not counted. If you have "cashed in" your A2 credits, we will consider this on the same scale as the GCSE and will take the higher of your two scores. Three "cashed in" A2's at grade A are considered the equivalent of nine GCSE A*'s. You should note the six GCSEs at grade B is our minimum possible requirement and the majority of our applciants offer significantly more than this. We do not usually consider GCSE short courses.

Thus if your a reapplicant you will score full academic marks in the pre-interview selection process. :smile:

Still not a safe chocie by any means but if you have a decent ukcat and personal statement and you like leeds this gives hope!

Thanks for this! I was gutted when I thought Leeds were no longer giving extra points for achieved grades! Can you also point out to me where you found this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Woh. I know this doesn't apply to us, but

"Candidates applying to Medicine at Leeds from July 2014 onward for admission in 2015 or later will be required to take the Biomedical Aptitude Test (BMAT),"

AND

"The General Medical Council (GMC) and Medical Schools Council (MSC) have advised all UK medical schools to review their use of personal statements and head teachers references and not to use them for purposes of ranking candidates. We are currently reassessing our policy."

It seems there's a big shake up in Leeds admissions!

Could you give a link to this information because I just phoned them up and they said that they only consider your AS grades of your GCsEs are slightly weaker :/
Could you give a link to this information because I just phoned them up and they said that they only consider your AS grades of your GCsEs are slightly weaker :/

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/medicine/admissions/faq.html

Scroll down
(edited 10 years ago)

Hmm that's good, the lady just confused me is all :frown:

I like this but im guessing on top of good A level grades, you might need a decent UKCAT score and a stellar personal statement/ reference. I wonder why Leeds gets so many applicants each year :rolleyes:
Hmm that's good, the lady just confused me is all :frown:

I like this but im guessing on top of good A level grades, you might need a decent UKCAT score and a stellar personal statement/ reference. I wonder why Leeds gets so many applicants each year :rolleyes:

Yep because what they do is score ukcat,PS and grades. top % get interviews. Refereence isn't scored(only looked at to make sure no concerns are raised).

This year most people with interviews had top gcses 9A*s + so atleast us reapplicants kind of have a head to start.

But I would say if you can do a decent Ps and have a decent ukcat you have as good a shot as anyone.

Hmm low entry requirments maybe? nightlife? Leeds is generally the most popular university in england soo I geuss it follows on from that.
Woh. I know this doesn't apply to us, but

"Candidates applying to Medicine at Leeds from July 2014 onward for admission in 2015 or later will be required to take the Biomedical Aptitude Test (BMAT),"

AND

"The General Medical Council (GMC) and Medical Schools Council (MSC) have advised all UK medical schools to review their use of personal statements and head teachers references and not to use them for purposes of ranking candidates. We are currently reassessing our policy."

they where going to do bmat this year but couldn't get legal documents in early enough. dodged a bullet.

they where going to do bmat this year but couldn't get legal documents in early enough. dodged a bullet.

I honestly like the BMAT, Im not being bias in that i got an amazing score in it because I didn't but I felt it was more fair and reasonable (but then again i detest the UKCAT :colondollar: )
But it is a risky test for sure :smile:
Reply 395

I have my test book for the 18th of July and I'll probably start prep straight after exams, around the 20th of June. That sounds like a good plan though, generally 3-4 weeks is enough.

Oh interesting :holmes: I wonder if more unis will be following suit! Glad we don't have to worry about it though!
Reply 396
Hi all!

I'm a re-applicant this year, tried to cram in UKCAT preparation for 2 weeks after finishing my Masters thesis and safe to say it was a poor effort and hence got 4 rejections.

I am planning to sit the GAMSAT this year too and apply for Nottingham, St. George's, Kings and Warwick (depending on UKCAT)

I am spending my extra year in Australia, working in research and volunteering in a homeless center and revising my butt off for the GAMSAT!
Original post by Kimmys88
Hi all!
I'm a re-applicant this year, tried to cram in UKCAT preparation for 2 weeks after finishing my Masters thesis and safe to say it was a poor effort and hence got 4 rejections.
I am planning to sit the GAMSAT this year too and apply for Nottingham, St. George's, Kings and Warwick (depending on UKCAT)
I am spending my extra year in Australia, working in research and volunteering in a homeless center and revising my butt off for the GAMSAT!

Hi, and welcome to TSR. Are you taking your GAMSAT in Melbourne, or travelling back to the UK? Good luck with the swotting!
Reply 398
Thank you Pastaferian :smile:

I'm flying back to the UK, it times well with a wedding I am returning for.
Reply 399
Original post by Kimmys88
Hi all!

sounds a pretty cool way to spend a year! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending