The Student Room Group

Private Candidate A-LEVEL HELP!

I'm 18 years old, i left school a few years ago now i'm attending my exams as a international private candidate via british council. I need advice on whether i should do my IGCSE's first then do my A-LEVELS or go straight for A-LEVELS? I'm turning 19 this year and don't want to waste more time or money, so i was wondering if i should just do my A-LEVELS directly since IGCSE's alone are considered quite useless. Any advice will be appreciated thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by richie.94v
I'm 18 years old, i left school a few years ago now i'm attending my exams as a international private candidate via british council. I need advice on whether i should do my IGCSE's first then do my A-LEVELS or go straight for A-LEVELS? I'm turning 19 this year and don't want to waste more time or money, so i was wondering if i should just do my A-LEVELS directly since IGCSE's alone are considered quite useless. Any advice will be appreciated thanks!

What subjects are you considering doing at A Level? It all depends on how prepared you feel from your previous school experience. If you feel that you'd be prepared to start A Levels straight away, which will definitely be harder without any teachers, go for it! Maybe it would be an idea to have a go at your IGCSE's in one a year to see how you go with that, and if you can do that I bet you'll be ok with A Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by luke2511
What subjects are you considering doing at A Level? It all depends on how prepared you feel from your previous school experience. If you feel that you'd be prepared to start A Levels straight away, which will definitely be harder without any teachers, go for it! Maybe it would be an idea to have a go at your IGCSE's in one a year to see how you go with that, and if you can do that I bet you'll be ok with A Levels.
so far I'm planning on taking a levels psychology, sociology, english lit. I have studied igcse sociology, english lit, english as first language, biology. But i'm just confused if i should even bother with the igcse's or not since i'll just waste time & money. And how many subjects do i have to take for a-levels? thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by richie.94v
so far I'm planning on taking a levels psychology, sociology, english lit. I have studied igcse sociology, english lit, english as first language, biology. But i'm just confused if i should even bother with the igcse's or not since i'll just waste time & money. And how many subjects do i have to take for a-levels? thank you for your reply :smile:

Most people take 4 AS Levels and then drop one, so end up with 3 full A Levels and a AS Level, although you could probably get away with just doing 3 A Levels. Generally people need 5 A* - C's including English and Maths at GCSE when applying to University, so I'd presume you'd need the same in IGCSE's although I'm not certain. It looks like you don't have Maths, so it might be worth doing that and possibly a foreign language if your looking to go to a top university.

Quick Reply

Latest