The Student Room Group

am i overreacting? (really p*ssed off with friend)

basically my parents split up when i was a toddler and i live with my dad, my mum lives in china (has done since they split up) and my dad hasn't got a partner so he's a single parent.

my friend phoned me yesterday asking me to help him with student finance, his parents are separated as well but his mum's remarried. he told me that i'm lucky that my dad's a single parent because i'll get more money for my student finances, when he said this i didn't even reply because i was so angry. and then he kept making me jokes about how i should apply for disability benefit as well which annoyed me even more (i'm not disabled, he's just being a pr*ck). he said it with spite as well, like he kept repeating it. why the hell did he have to say that, was there any need :/?

how can he say i'm lucky that my dad's a single parent not knowing how much my parents divorce has affected me? every single day i wish they never split up because i haven't grown up with my mum around which has been really hard. i just don't get why he had to say it, it was really spiteful. it's none of his f*cking business what i'm entitled to. and my household income is obv gonna be less than other people cos even though my mum does send a bit of child support my dad has a minimum wage job.

the thing is this 'friend' puts me down all the time, and he says its a joke but recently its really been getting to me. i don't have alot of friends and he always reminds me of this, he criticises the clothes i wear and the music i listen to and even the way i look. and he's generally a really rude, conceited, narcissistic person. we've been friends for 5 yrs and he's always been like this and i always used to just laugh it off but yesterday i think he went way too far. when i got off the phone i was seething and my first instinct was to just cut him out of my life because he makes me feel like sh*t all the time. we do have loads of fun times together and he makes me laugh so much but i hate the way he treats me.

am i overreacting or what?:confused:
Doesn't sound like he's much of a friend to be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by Lukev
Doesn't sound like he's much of a friend to be honest.

+1
Reply 3
Basically let him know how you feel, if he's a friend he will understand and be more wary in future if your feelings. If he doesn't care then cut him out because he's not worth your time.
Reply 4
Original post by malteser87
Basically let him know how you feel, if he's a friend he will understand and be more wary in future if your feelings. If he doesn't care then cut him out because he's not worth your time.

i don't know how to let him know though, i'm too scared to confront him about it.
Reply 5
Original post by malteser87

thanks, i don't know how to confront him about it though
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
thanks, i don't know how to confront him about it though

Just say the next time you talk "listen, it kinda hurt the last time we talked when you mentioned my dad being a single parent and saying it was beneficial to me.." And elaborate as much as you need to. Don't think of it as a confrontation but more as just talking to him about how you feel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending