The Student Room Group

how to stop eating too much?

I need advice on how to control my eating habits.....i tend to overeat, although I am incredibly conscious of my weight and trying to drop a dress size/ around a stone. I am currently 11stone5 and 6 foot (girl)

can someone put me off eating lots? or maybe new methods to adopt so i dont over eat? i cant stop at one biscuit (i know i shouldnt have them in the house, at uni i dont) but even at uni i find myself over-eating "healthy" foods.

Please any advice would be great! thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by GildedButterfly
I need advice on how to control my eating habits.....i tend to overeat, although I am incredibly conscious of my weight and trying to drop a dress size/ around a stone. I am currently 11stone5 and 6 foot (girl)

can someone put me off eating lots? or maybe new methods to adopt so i dont over eat? i cant stop at one biscuit (i know i shouldnt have them in the house, at uni i dont) but even at uni i find myself over-eating "healthy" foods.

Make sure you're drinking enough water should be step number 1.

Throw out any foods that you know you are likely to binge on and don't have them in the house. Replace them with lower calorie options like crudites so if you feel like a snack it won't make you gain weight.

Make sure your main meals are balanced with good amounts of proteins, carbs and fats in each one. Eat plenty of vegetables and a good amount of fruit. You tend to be less hungry if your body isn't lacking in nutrients.

Chew your food properly. Put down your cutlery between each bite and eat consciously. Savour the taste of every bite. Don't eat in front of the TV and just stuff your face.
Reply 2

Just drink a **** tonne of water. Hungry? Grab a glass of water.

Tell you what (strangely) satisfies my hunger, pouring a glass of boiling water from the kettle and drinking it like a cup of coffee - sips, TRUST me, you don't want to neck it like an ice cold glass hahaha.

If i'm still hungry I just eat an apple or banana.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Grow a backbone.
Reply 4
Original post by Arnob204
Grow a backbone.

This + the water thing.

Most people don't drink enough, and it definitely helps.

But mostly the backbone bit.

It's not ****ing hard to control what you put in your mouth.
Reply 5
Start tracking everything you eat on a calorie counter.

Once you are able look back at the list, it will give you a kick to stop or at least reduce binge eating.

Also, by tracking, the effort put in will work towards your goal.

use myfitnesspal, there's an app for your phone too so no excuse
-Drink water before and after every meal
-People often mistake thirst for hunger, so if you feel hungry drink some water, wait a bit, then, if you're still hungry, eat something
-Eat small meals often, rather than thee big meals
-Don't skip meals, especially not breakfast
-Measure out what you are going to eat, i.e if you want to eat some crisps while watching TV, measure out one bowl of crisps, this way when you've finished you will know how much you've eaten and you'll be conscious of the fact that you are going to get some more and you can check to see if you actually want more food or are eating out of boredom
-Snack on fruit and veg
-Avoid fruit juices, they may seem good for you but most are full of sugar, you're better off just eating an apple or orange if it's the taste you're after
-Avoid diet drinks eg: Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi
Original post by Marc908
Start tracking everything you eat on a calorie counter.

Once you are able look back at the list, it will give you a kick to stop or at least reduce binge eating.

Also, by tracking, the effort put in will work towards your goal.

use myfitnesspal, there's an app for your phone too so no excuse

This. Using MyFitnessPal to record everything that I eat has worked wonderfully well for me, because I can spread out however much I should eat over the course of the day.
Reply 8
I eat a lot, and I'm still on a diet. I get hungry every two hours, but its not how much I eat its what I eat. If you're snacking away on cookies and chocolates, its not going to help and its a short term energy supply. To keep you feeling full for longer eat low GI foods.
Reply 9
Original post by Arnob204
Grow a backbone.

I some what agree, do not know why so many negs, WILL POWER!

Do not underestimate it, YOU have to WANT to DO IT.

We can't magically give you the power to control your eating. You need to do that yourself.

To be honest it's pretty simple to not be overweight. Plenty of veg, plenty of protein, fat, and limit the sugar/simple carbs. And like everyone else has said, drink more water.
Reply 11
Plan your eating is the main tip I could give.

Instead of just munching on stuff at will, set a loose plan e.g. I will have a breakfast, a dinner and a tea and stick to those wherever possible.

Don't just say vague things like "I am on a diet and won't eat much" so that whenever you do go for the odd biscuit, you feel like a prisoner of war who has just escaped and wants to scoff down as much as they can hold in them. I would imagine that being so concious is what makes you do that. You probably are too flexible in terms of planning and not flexible enough in terms of what you allow yourself to eat. Once you start treating all foods on equal footing, the problem is reduced since you are no more likely to binge on biscuits as you are on rice.
Obvious answer: by not putting so much food in your mouth.

OK. Laugh. Good fun.

Serious answer: It's not how much you're eating as it is what you're eating. Try to "fill up" on the healthy stuff--fresh greens, veggies, lots of fruits, etc. Don't eat too many overly processed grains and starchy foods like white bread, white flour, and white pastas. Try whole-grain alternatives when possible and couscous can be a nice, healthy alternative for a dinner-time grain that is good for you. Eat a good breakfast with an egg or two for protein--it will keep you full for longer. Never skip breakfast, but make sure it's healthy one. Don't eat a lot of processed desserts; in fact, anything with a lot of "white stuff," like white flour, white sugar, etc is really not good for you at all and will not make you feel full for long. Try snacking on carrot sticks with hummus. Make a salad. Eat whole grains. This is a good start.

Secondly, don't starve yourself. This is counterproductive. You'll just binge later. Eat lots, but make sure its lots of the good stuff. Then you won't feel guilty. Also, make sure you are exercising. Diet is important, but you have to have a holistic approach to your health--whole health.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Reply 13
i found porridge be a very filling food (breakfast)- bowl of it and you feel full for few hours, ergo- you do not eat meanwhile.
Reply 14
I can't help but feel that people who say "will power" really reveal the (small) amount of thought they've put into how the brain works.
Reduce the size of your plates.Because in large plates you fill with excess amount of food and you will be tempted to eat it all.Better to use small plates and fill them with nutrient dense foods when you are eating your frequent meals.
Reply 16

Hey! My best advice is to sign up to a site like www.myfitnesspal.com and log your calories daily. I find that it really really really helps me to avoid over-eating as I always want to stick to my goal calorie intake!

Plus, make sure you drink LOTS of water throughout the day. Have a glass in the morning, one mid-morning, one with lunch, one in the afternoon, one with dinner, one at night. It suppresses your hunger sososo much I have found.

A lot of the time I used to go eat a packet of crisps or a chocolate bar, then end up binging on loads of food and feeling horrible. Water really helped me stop this. If I'm still hungry I'll eat a banana, or an apple or some other healthy snack - not junk! They're honestly more filling and keep you full for longer. Whenever I have chocolate/junk I always find myself hungry again like an hour later.

Also, just removing junk food from your house will really help! When I used to eat it I couldn't control myself with "just one biscuit"... it always ended up being the whole packet. If the junk isn't there in the first place, you can't overeat! If you're going to overeat, overeat veggies and other low-calories foods. :smile:

(I literally made a thread exactly like this a few weeks ago. I feel like I have really changed since then though. I'm sure you can too!)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I can only tell you what works for me but it may help.
1) Plan your food, not just what you will eat but when. It is easier to go that extra half hour without snacking if you know you will have a meal shortly. As others have said sites like my fitness pal are great as you can tell exactly how much you are eating.
2)Eat small meals rather than less meals. You may feel hungry afterwards but wait a while before eating anything else sometimes it takes a while to feel full.
3)Drink a lot. I have a glass of water on my desk constatntly and drink even if you don't feel thirsty. I prefer sugar free fruit squash because it is easier to drink in large quantities.
4)Drink caffeine, it is great for dieting. It raises your metabolism so you burn more calories and decreases your hunger. I find it most useful instead of or with breakfast .
5) Don't snack at all. Like you I find it very hard just to have a small snack, but its much easier if you don't go near the snack food. If you have to eat snacks food plan an amount and a time or have them with a meal.
6)Eat slowly, you end up feeling fuller and eating less.

Quick Reply

Latest