The Student Room Group

Is Sharia Law vs British Law - Which is more moral?

Scroll to see replies

What a stupid question. Firstly, there is no such thing as 'morality'. Secondly, which person who is not of stone-age mentality will prefer sharia law. Get it the **** out.
Reply 21
Sharia law is based on religion, hence, it would not be applicable to everyone in society. British law is more democratic and allows for unity. I personally dislike Sharia law because I think it's quite extreme and I wouldn't want an unfair distribution of law and rights. Personally, I think that morality is subjective, and is not something we can discuss in an objective manner, but British law appears to be more 'moral'.
Sharia is an instrument of state oppression.

The British justice system is often a joke, but there's clearly no comparison to Shariah.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Sure, let people "simply be gay" but not commit homosexual acts because of morals from a 7th century fairytale ...

You would get persecuted in the west as well if you had public "anal ***". Difference is, the level of punishment in western law and in Shariah.

But, it's worth keeping in mind, it's also harder to get proven guilty in Shariah, as opposed to western law.

Original post by Jacob :)
It's based on what you perceive to be objective morals.

Yeah, and I'm sure most would agree that laws legislated by God, would be far more objective, than laws legislated by man.

[QUOTE=Jacob [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];42168128] It's actually based on abstract rules from centuries ago.

Based on your perception
Reply 24
Original post by Perseveranze
You would get persecuted in the west as well if you had public "anal ***". Difference is, the level of punishment in western law and in Shariah.

Yes, would. But western laws have caught up with the times.

But, it's worth keeping in mind, it's also harder to get proven guilty in Shariah, as opposed to western law.

Yeah, and I'm sure most would agree that laws legislated by God, would be far more objective, than laws legislated by man.

Based on your perception

You believe the are legislated by Allah. Most people on Earth and especially in this country don't.

If they are not abstract please explain why eating pork or blood is morally wrong. Please don't say because Allah says so.
Reply 26
Sharaia law isn't for Britain,it can't be implemented upon people it's not for.
You believe the are legislated by Allah. Most people on Earth and especially in this country don't.

Yeah and most people at one point thought the earth was flat, especially "in this country".

[QUOTE=Jacob [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];42169258]If they are not abstract please explain why eating pork or blood is morally wrong. Please don't say because Allah says so.

This is like me asking, what is the moral reasoning behind not torturing an animal, in the name of science? What moral reason is there to not do tests on them, even if it kills them, for the benefit of humanity?

As for the bolded part, that's a good enough answer for objective morals. We can look to find the wisdom, but regardless of what the wisdom is, laws legislated by God will always be more moral. The subjectivity is only in what the wisdom behind a certain ruling is, where one might see one way, and another might see it another.

Yes, would. But western laws have caught up with the times.

I was talking about 21st century. You know sodomy on the streets of Britain is illegal right?

If its "caught up with the times" (in your view) because the punishment is simply less severe, then ok lol.

So is any form of sex, including those in arranged marriages, but no-one mentioned streets.

1. I mentioned public, what do you think streets is.

2. Same in the Shariah, boy or girl, public indecency isn't accepted.

3. I think you're really missing the point here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28

I was talking about 21st century. You know sodomy on the streets of Britain is illegal right?

So is any form of sex, including those in arranged marriages, but no-one mentioned streets.
Yeah and most people at one point thought the earth was flat, especially "in this country".

This is like me asking, what is the moral reasoning behind not torturing an animal, in the name of science? What moral reason is there to not do tests on them, even if it kills them, for the benefit of humanity?

As for the bolded part, that's a good enough answer for objective morals. We can look to find the wisdom, but regardless of what the wisdom is, laws legislated by God will always be more moral. The subjectivity is only in what the wisdom behind a certain ruling is, where one might see one way, and another might see it another.

Popularity of an idea does not make it more or less right.

Torturing an animal is wrong because it hurts it when it doesn't want to be hurt. An person with simple empathy and social skills can tell you that. There's nothing more wrong with eating a pig than any other animal.

What about if a religion taught all brown eyed babies should be killed. By your reasoning that makes killing those babies completely moral as a god has said it is so.
Reply 30
Since British law is a system that is open to change based on the views and morals of the people, if most people in Britain believed that Sharia was the most appropriate justice system the British one would already closely resemble it. So surely the vast differences speak for themselves.
Popularity of an idea does not make it more or less right.

Then why did you bother using it as an argument....

[QUOTE=Jacob [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];42169578]Torturing an animal is wrong because it hurts it when it doesn't want to be hurt.

That's not based on morality, that's simply based on your feelings. Anyone can simply feel completely differently, yet not one would be able to base it on morals. They would just argue that we humans gain a much greater benefit [through scientific testing] by torturing the animal.

[QUOTE=Jacob [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];42169578]An person with simple empathy and social skills can tell you that. There's nothing more wrong with eating a pig than any other animal.

I think you're simply not able to grasp the argument here. It was the same with using unbiased sources.

[QUOTE=Jacob [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];42169578]What about if a religion taught all brown eyed babies should be killed. By your reasoning that makes killing those babies completely moral as a god has said it is so.

Actually it would.

One day, british law could do the same due to social pressure, they could one day decide to kill all the jews. But, laws by God may forbid this.

The difference is, British law would change, but God's law would never change. So such an occurrence would never happen in a religious state, as opposed to a social state based on subjective morals.
Reply 32

Common misconception actually.

In your belief, here we have these things called liberty and tolerance, rationality and so forth. They cropped up a few hundred years ago during what's known as the 'Enlightenment', which has to do with Christianity. Islam has not undergone such a phase, which is sad.

If its "caught up with the times" (in your view) because the punishment is simply less severe, then ok lol.

But being gay and acting upon it is perfectly legal. In Shariah it is not. You can try and spin it however you want, if 4 people come upon 2 or more engaged in Homosexual action, then they have grounds for prosecution. Under Shariah it is the act which is illegal, not the place. And regardless of this, a bigger issue is the fundamental lack of morality surrounding legislating against something such as that, and adultery and so on.
anyone who wants shariah law can **** off elsewhere. can't think of many things less welcome here.
Reply 34
99% of muslims can't even agree what shara'ai law is, or should be. Is it any wonder that no single country is considered as Sharia practicising by muslims anywhere in the world. Why would any society want to bring into practice a legal system that cannot even be defined by its biggest supporters?

Trying to implement Shariah law in a society, in any society including a muslim majority one, is the worst possible thing that can be done to the people living there. Every muslim country that has shifted towards a more Sharia compliant legal system has ended up worsening the lives of people living in that country. Adopting Shariah would be even worse than adopting Nazism.
Then why did you bother using it as an argument....

That's not based on morality, that's simply based on your feelings. Anyone can simply feel completely differently, yet not one would be able to base it on morals. They would just argue that we humans gain a much greater benefit [through scientific testing] by torturing the animal.

I think you're simply not able to grasp the argument here. It was the same with using unbiased sources.

Actually it would.

One day, british law could do the same due to social pressure, they could one day decide to kill all the jews. But, laws by God may forbid this.

The difference is, British law would change, but God's law would never change. So such an occurrence would never happen in a religious state, as opposed to a social state based on subjective morals.

So killing babies is moral? Just because a religion says so? It may be deamed a nessessary evil to torture an animal for the benefit of humans but every sane human would agree torturing an animal for no reason is morally wrong.

You blindly follow the morals of your god but what makes them right opposed to the morals of any other god?
Original post by RealRecReal
I'm sure most people have misconceptions about Sharia Law as we will probably see from some posts here. Did you know that under Sharia Law citizens are given free water,gas and electricity?

Hmmm true but it also states that Men are allowed to marry pre-pubescent girls and with phrases such as

"Your women are your fields, so go into your fields whichever way you like" from the Quran.

I'll stick to paying for my electricity thanks.

Besides, I have Solar panels :smile:
Reply 37
It may be deamed a nessessary evil to torture an animal for the benefit of humans but every sane human would agree torturing an animal for no reason is morally wrong.

It doesn't even benefit humans, the stress the animals go through makes them full of the hormone cortisol, which is unhealthy
It doesn't even benefit humans, the stress the animals go through makes them full of the hormone cortisol, which is unhealthy

Sorry I'm not supporting it I'm just saying that's why it's done.
Reply 39
Well considering modern criminal law and the notion of a police force where both invented by the British I'd say British law is far superior to Sharaia law due to it's complexity and constant refinement. Britain actually started moving away from judgement by religious beliefs nearly 1000 years ago in the early 12th century so Sharia law would be a huge step backwards. Muslims should be aloud to govern their own communities of course as long as it's not breaking any British laws or human rights. Some of their ideas about sharing and caring for the less fortunate do seem very good but at the end of the day you can do those things without changing the current law system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending