The Student Room Group

Student loan with NHS Bursary

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm going to be an NHS student so my student loan is reduced than your regular amount. Basically, student loan and nhs bursary combined doesn't come close to covering my rent! Let alone living costs. I have a small amount of savings, but both my parents don't work, and I'm a mature student anyway. It's going to be really hard to get a job at uni as I have to balance placements and some employers won't be happy if I take 6 weeks off...

Since applying for student finance, I havent been asked to provide any financial information so I assume my loan is non income assessed. Is this standard when you have an income assessed bursary? I'm very grateful to receive an NHS bursary, but if your not going to cover anywhere near than your average student then I think it's ridiculous. I was an NHS student before, and when I told student finance of my situation (which was exactly the same, only parents could help then) it doesn't even cover my rent, they couldn't suggest anything, all they said was get a job or ask your parents. My parents are now no longer working, my mum has been made redundant and my dad is retired, I can't ask them for money as its unfair.

What I'm asking really is, is there any way to appeal this decision? I feel I'll have to work a job around my studies, but I tried this before and ended up getting so stressed out by balancing everything. I could get a job in holidays but I have longer terms due to placements and I miss out on all the seasonal temporary jobs. Access to learning fund was really helpful before, but not sure they will help me out if they know I've come to uni with not enough money to cover everything. Maybe if it was a few months later it would be a different story...

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance :smile:
Yes you can appeal.
Here's the address https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england
Reply 2
Original post by whatareyoulookingat
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm going to be an NHS student so my student loan is reduced than your regular amount. Basically, student loan and nhs bursary combined doesn't come close to covering my rent! Let alone living costs. I have a small amount of savings, but both my parents don't work, and I'm a mature student anyway. It's going to be really hard to get a job at uni as I have to balance placements and some employers won't be happy if I take 6 weeks off...

Since applying for student finance, I havent been asked to provide any financial information so I assume my loan is non income assessed. Is this standard when you have an income assessed bursary? I'm very grateful to receive an NHS bursary, but if your not going to cover anywhere near than your average student then I think it's ridiculous. I was an NHS student before, and when I told student finance of my situation (which was exactly the same, only parents could help then) it doesn't even cover my rent, they couldn't suggest anything, all they said was get a job or ask your parents. My parents are now no longer working, my mum has been made redundant and my dad is retired, I can't ask them for money as its unfair.

What I'm asking really is, is there any way to appeal this decision? I feel I'll have to work a job around my studies, but I tried this before and ended up getting so stressed out by balancing everything. I could get a job in holidays but I have longer terms due to placements and I miss out on all the seasonal temporary jobs. Access to learning fund was really helpful before, but not sure they will help me out if they know I've come to uni with not enough money to cover everything. Maybe if it was a few months later it would be a different story...

Appeal what exactly? Student Finance England only provide minimal support because you are primarily supported by the NHS. They are the ones pay your tuition fees and give you living costs. The situation is not actually that much different for normal students who qualify for a maintenance grant. Their maintenance loan is lowered so most students get similar capped amounts.

The NHS living is pretty dreadful though. The only thing you can do is pick cheaper places to study and try and get a larger overdraft. A ball is more likely to give you a bigger overdraft than a normal student.
Original post by evantej
Appeal what exactly? Student Finance England only provide minimal support because you are primarily supported by the NHS. They are the ones pay your tuition fees and give you living costs. The situation is not actually that much different for normal students who qualify for a maintenance grant. Their maintenance loan is lowered so most students get similar capped amounts.

The NHS living is pretty dreadful though. The only thing you can do is pick cheaper places to study and try and get a larger overdraft. A ball is more likely to give you a bigger overdraft than a normal student.

Hey, thanks for responding and your advice. To be honest, I wouldn't know what I'm appealing, I'm just annoyed that the NHS put you in this situation. I'm not being mean about the bursary, I'm glad I can receive it but it would be so great if it covered rent!!
I didn't know that about the maintenance grant, as I've only been an NHS student I wasn't sure how most students were funded, but thanks for letting me know :smile:.

Think I'll just have to save as much as I can before going, I found the access to learning fund helpful before so I'll chat to the Uni to see if they can offer any other suggestions.
Original post by RockingFreakshow
Yes you can appeal.
Here's the address https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england

Thanks for the link :smile: I think I'll hold off on an appeal as I don't really have much to appeal against!
Reply 5
Are you saying you've already completed an NHS degree? Perhaps you need to look at your living costs and make sure they are inline with what funding you will receive. Your student loan will be £2324, plus whatever your NHS bursary is calculated at. When you say you're a mature student, how mature?
Reply 6
Hey, thanks for responding and your advice. To be honest, I wouldn't know what I'm appealing, I'm just annoyed that the NHS put you in this situation. I'm not being mean about the bursary, I'm glad I can receive it but it would be so great if it covered rent!!
I didn't know that about the maintenance grant, as I've only been an NHS student I wasn't sure how most students were funded, but thanks for letting me know :smile:.

Think I'll just have to save as much as I can before going, I found the access to learning fund helpful before so I'll chat to the Uni to see if they can offer any other suggestions.

You are completely right to be angry. Just with the NHS, not Student Finance England. :tongue:

I have been a normal student and I will be a NHS one soon.

I used to get a tuition fees loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant. Because I came from a low-income background, I got the maintenance grant. It is a sizeable amount and does not have to be repaid (£2700-£3000 per year). But it affects the maintenance loan you get. I was entitled to receive the full amount of maintenance loan, because I came from a low-income family, but it got knocked down by a couple of thousand because of the maintenance grant. Their explanation was that they were trying to reduce the amount students from low-incomes borrowed (i.e. had to pay back). But as you say that is completely pointless if your total student income barely covers living costs as it is.

I think NHS students get a raw deal. They get less to live on. But they cannot really complain because they can receive costs to cover travel to placements and obviously get free tuition fees. Of course, living costs to the student actually doing the course right now are far more important than not being charged for the course in the future.

I completely sympathise.
Original post by evantej
You are completely right to be angry. Just with the NHS, not Student Finance England. :tongue:

I have been a normal student and I will be a NHS one soon.

I used to get a tuition fees loan, maintenance loan and maintenance grant. Because I came from a low-income background, I got the maintenance grant. It is a sizeable amount and does not have to be repaid (£2700-£3000 per year). But it affects the maintenance loan you get. I was entitled to receive the full amount of maintenance loan, because I came from a low-income family, but it got knocked down by a couple of thousand because of the maintenance grant. Their explanation was that they were trying to reduce the amount students from low-incomes borrowed (i.e. had to pay back). But as you say that is completely pointless if your total student income barely covers living costs as it is.

I think NHS students get a raw deal. They get less to live on. But they cannot really complain because they can receive costs to cover travel to placements and obviously get free tuition fees. Of course, living costs to the student actually doing the course right now are far more important than not being charged for the course in the future.

I completely sympathise.

I find the whole system really bizzare, especially when they want more people to work within the NHS, and give them less to live on?! But nothing I can do about the way they calculate funding, will just have to try what I mentioned before.

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by 1on4
Are you saying you've already completed an NHS degree? Perhaps you need to look at your living costs and make sure they are inline with what funding you will receive. Your student loan will be £2324, plus whatever your NHS bursary is calculated at. When you say you're a mature student, how mature?

Hey, thanks for replying. Sorry should have made it more clear originally, I completed one year of an NHS course in 2011, and am restarting at a different Uni for a different NHS funded course in 2013, so I am aware how NHS funding works and have already an idea of how much I'll receive as my circumstances haven't really changed. I'm classed as independent of my parents as I've been working for nearly 5 years, so I get the maximum bursary (as I won't be working full time while studying).

What I'm saying is the maximum bursary amount and the student loan (non income assessed) doesn't cover my rent, and if it did cover my rent I have about 10 pounds a week to live on which is crazy.

I'm 23 years old, but anything over 21 is mature student I think. I'm also independent of my parents (as I've mentioned).

I think I'll just have to save and hope for the best! damn NHS :P
Reply 9
Hey, thanks for replying. Sorry should have made it more clear originally, I completed one year of an NHS course in 2011, and am restarting at a different Uni for a different NHS funded course in 2013, so I am aware how NHS funding works and have already an idea of how much I'll receive as my circumstances haven't really changed. I'm classed as independent of my parents as I've been working for nearly 5 years, so I get the maximum bursary (as I won't be working full time while studying).

What I'm saying is the maximum bursary amount and the student loan (non income assessed) doesn't cover my rent, and if it did cover my rent I have about 10 pounds a week to live on which is crazy.

I'm 23 years old, but anything over 21 is mature student I think. I'm also independent of my parents (as I've mentioned).

... Ggtbgrgb

To be honest, I don't think the NHS bursary is intended to be enough for a single person to live alone comfortably. If you don't have children or a partner, you are expected to be living in shared accommodation or with parents in which case it would be more than enough if you add in money you should have already saved and wages from working during the holidays. I appreciate the latter might be limited if you are doing a 45 week course, but then your bursary takes that into account and is increased accordingly. I think the definition of 'mature' is either 21 or 25 depending on the Uni, but someone who is 21 is much less likely to be able to define themselves as independent. Anyway, good luck saving and try to be appreciative of the funding we do get rather than complaining. The majority of students have it much, much worse.
Original post by 1on4
... Ggtbgrgb

To be honest, I don't think the NHS bursary is intended to be enough for a single person to live alone comfortably. If you don't have children or a partner, you are expected to be living in shared accommodation or with parents in which case it would be more than enough if you add in money you should have already saved and wages from working during the holidays. I appreciate the latter might be limited if you are doing a 45 week course, but then your bursary takes that into account and is increased accordingly. I think the definition of 'mature' is either 21 or 25 depending on the Uni, but someone who is 21 is much less likely to be able to define themselves as independent. Anyway, good luck saving and try to be appreciative of the funding we do get rather than complaining. The majority of students have it much, much worse.

Surely it would have to be enough for one person, otherwise its discriminating against single people. I'm going to be saving but some students, for example 18 year olds who have come straight from sixth form or college will not have had those savings and adding the bursary, and the non income based loan together may cover a place to live but you have no money for general living (and I don't mean parties all the time), I'd say getting a job would be the answer but its really hard to balance a job when you have a demanding course and placements.

I always thought the NHS should offer more as an incentive for more people to join, most NHS students I've met really worry about money, more than a lot of non-nhs students who I have met in the past, I'm not saying thats fact, just saying thats my experience in the past.

I'm definetly classed as independent as I've been working for 5 years, and there criteria is for 3 years of working (36 months). I didn't once say I wasn't appreciative of the funding, I just don't understand why it can be enough to live on, I'm not saying it should cover big nights out and shopping trips but rent, food and travel are essentials.
Reply 11

You get the maximum bursary amount? Of something like 5K? And then a loan of 2323 or something? So about 7K? Plus the 1000 grant.. So about 8k and you'll be struggling to live on that?

I'm also doing an NHS funded course but I don't get any bursary as my parents earn too much, but they can't afford to give me more than 20 pounds a week.. So I will be only getting the reduced student loan of 2323 or around that to live on, considering my accommodation is 4900 a year, you see I'm rather stuck with money too.. I have to find 2 grand just for accommodation, I won't have any money for living expenses just my savings.. Which will not be huge once my 2000 pounds for accommodation has been taking out.

There needs to be a system to find out how much is actually in the students out goings and in goings because I will be very very poor after I have finished first year..

I hope it gets sorted for you, if you appeal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by betsickles
You get the maximum bursary amount? Of something like 5K? And then a loan of 2323 or something? So about 7K? Plus the 1000 grant.. So about 8k and you'll be struggling to live on that?

I'm also doing an NHS funded course but I don't get any bursary as my parents earn too much, but they can't afford to give me more than 20 pounds a week.. So I will be only getting the reduced student loan of 2323 or around that to live on, considering my accommodation is 4900 a year, you see I'm rather stuck with money too.. I have to find 2 grand just for accommodation, I won't have any money for living expenses just my savings.. Which will not be huge once my 2000 pounds for accommodation has been taking out.

There needs to be a system to find out how much is actually in the students out goings and in goings because I will be very very poor after I have finished first year..

I hope it gets sorted for you, if you appeal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, thanks for replying. The maximum amount for the bursary was never 5k unless this has been increased? I received the maximum which was about 3k with a 2k student loan, which means that will only cover my rent (everythings so expensive!) I did hear a few days ago that an additional NHS grant of 1000 is given, unless I've misunderstood? Probably won't know until I apply and here back, but should definetly get the maximum as only my earnings are taken into account and although I'm full time now, next year I won't have the capacity to work. Also I suppose it depends on where your living as I know London pays more.

I agree completely with what your saying, there does need to be a better system. Its unfair for them to assume that your parents will pay for everything, have you ever thought of applying for the access to learning fund? I applied for it while I was at Uni and they gave me about 800 pounds and I didn't need to pay back, was so helpful with paying the last bit of rent and living costs. I planned to ask again, but I don't think they will like it if I ask as soon as I get there!

I hope you sort your money issues out, it can be a real issue when trying to balance study, social life and living away from home, thats why I'm trying to do it before I go. Don't think I'll appeal as I haven't got the grounds to appeal, plan to speak to student finance at UWE to see if they can suggest anything. Thanks again and hope you manage to get the money! :smile:
Reply 13
Im starting my NHS funded course in september and im in the exact same boat. Im 22 and have supported myself financially through a part time job, therefore no tax and no playslips to prove it! The people at student finance havent been much help and have juts told me thats going to be hard to prove so im in the middle of sorting that out now.
If i cant prove it that means i have to apply for a non income based bursary and maintenance loan. That is roughly 5000pound for the first year and my accomadation in halls is going to be 4500 pound. Meaning ill have 500 to feed myself for a year! yes i can get a job but i also have to be in lectures 9-4 5 days a week and have to go on placement as well which employers arent going to take kindly to.

Yes im grateful im getting help financially but if its not enough to cover my living costs what good is it really? im still not going to be able to afford to live in uni without building major debt with credit cards and overdrafts. So whether im short 10grand or 10pound im still short!

Being a student sucks :frown:
I’m a home a student and don’t get any support whatsoever . Full time placement 40 hours a week .studying postgraduate adult nursing and is only entitled to the bursary which they refuse to give me for some reason . My fees are paid , but the bursary is rejected . My parents are poor. That’s the definition of stress . I think you are in a better situation .
Hello

Hi whatareyoulookingat,

If you are going to be in receipt of an NHS Bursary, you are entitled to apply for a non- meanstested, Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England(SFE).

If you not entitled to the NHS Bursary for your course then you can apply for the full package of support through SFE based on your household income.

Can I ask what is the course that you will be undertaking and is it a new course or are you resuming following a suspension ?

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending