The Student Room Group

Did you get a job in your second year?

I'm in my first year of uni, studying International Business with Languages. This year I've really struggled with money, so decided to get a job in my second year.

I've already managed to secure a job at the university library for next year. I'll be working 5 hours a week for about £40, which I'm happy with.

But I've just spotted that the university is recruiting for another position, which looks really appealing. It'd also give me the chance to build up some savings while I study. I want to apply, but I'm worried about taking on too much work... I'm aiming for a first so I don't want to screw up my chances by taking on too much!

What do you think - and if you had a job in your second year, how many hours per week did you do? Was it a struggle to manage your time?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Yeah I got a job in October of my second year. I work 9 till 5 on Saturdays. I was really worried about my time management, but then I remembered, I never do work on Saturdays anyway! I have loads of essays due in atm, but can confidently say that even if I didn't have a job, I don't work on weekends. So far so good. Maybe in third year it will effect me more but I guess you just have to work around it, it's only one day, and it's really helped financially.

I know people who work various shifts throughout the week at supermarkets at what not; I think that would effect me more. I prefer just doing it all in one day. I get asked for overtime a lot but I can hardly ever do it. I'm sure they understand though.
Reply 2
I worked 12.5 hours a week during my 2nd year and it was too much and affected my academic performance. I did around 6 hours every Sat and Sun, coupled with a hectic university schedule (science degree) with Mon - Fri lectures/labs/seminars etc - I basically spent 9 months tired and stressed out, with no full days off. Work would also ring me up during lectures and demand that I come in to cover for someone. Horrendous.

During my 3rd year I got a new job with an understanding boss who let me work just 7 hours (or less) on a Sat and this was much better. I did more hours during the holidays and it worked out fine.

If I were you, I'd be happy with 5 hours and £40 - that's plenty for a comfortable student lifestyle (assuming you also have a loan/grant/bursary) and leaves enough time for studying. It would also depend on your contact hours. I know people who have 30 contact hours a week; I have a friend who only had one 2.5 hour seminar on a Monday afternoon! You mention that you're aiming for a first...I also aimed for a first and didn't get it, you have to be pretty focused if you want the top grade.
Reply 3
Yes, I should mention unlike the above poster, I only have 6 contact hours a week. I study politics and most of my course consists of reading.
Reply 4
:lol:

I wish I could! But I think we can only get 5 hours a week, grr.
Reply 5
From the sounds of it, I don't think so, but you never know - I'll keep my fingers crossed haha :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Original post by SkinnyKat
I worked 12.5 hours a week during my 2nd year and it was too much and affected my academic performance. I did around 6 hours every Sat and Sun, coupled with a hectic university schedule (science degree) with Mon - Fri lectures/labs/seminars etc - I basically spent 9 months tired and stressed out, with no full days off. Work would also ring me up during lectures and demand that I come in to cover for someone. Horrendous.

During my 3rd year I got a new job with an understanding boss who let me work just 7 hours (or less) on a Sat and this was much better. I did more hours during the holidays and it worked out fine.

If I were you, I'd be happy with 5 hours and £40 - that's plenty for a comfortable student lifestyle (assuming you also have a loan/grant/bursary) and leaves enough time for studying. It would also depend on your contact hours. I know people who have 30 contact hours a week; I have a friend who only had one 2.5 hour seminar on a Monday afternoon! You mention that you're aiming for a first...I also aimed for a first and didn't get it, you have to be pretty focused if you want the top grade.

:sad: I'm sorry to hear about that.

Thank you so much for your advice, it's really really helpful. I think I probably will stick with 5 hours and £40 - my course has 16+ contact hours and it's quite demanding, so being able to study and work towards a first is more important than a bit of extra money. Thanks for helping me see that! :smile:
I got a job in second year, also with my uni.

I'd suggest that you only apply for the second job if it's one where you get to choose the hours you work, like mine. That way you can work lots in light weeks / holidays, and not at all when you have a deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
depends on your contact hours and work load tbh.

I work weekends, varies from 8.5hrs to 17.5hrs (though I'm not paid in breaks so that equates 14.5hrs wages). I have no control over what I'm given, though this year (3rd year) I've generally been getting around 8.5hrs. That's fine, but 17.5hrs could get a bit much as I had to balance work, seeing gf and uni. Contact time has varied throughout the course, in 3rd year its only 10 hrs 2 days a week, which obviously leaves enough time so 8.5hrs is easy and 17/5 is manageable as long as I don't have multiple deadlines.
I work 12 hours on a Friday or Saturday night each week, I'm very lucky in the respect that my job with a railway company pays a little over £13 an hour :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending