The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this is the post mortem thread
Reply 2
I thought it was pretty hard... multichoice was weirdly difficult (everyone in my class thought this, but could have been just us!) and there were a few mad ones in there. We did physiology for unit 3 and that was on the whole alright, I hope. The second essay was an absolute gift, I lurved that essay. :smile:

Not at all confident of an A though, sadly, just got to wait until August to see, yay.
Reply 3
data q was a gift ..............................for once
Reply 4
i thot it was alright. i liked the essay (did the second one) thought physiology was a bit tough. a few of the mc were a bit wtf? data question was nice in that it sort o lead u into a bit with some knowledge questions. not sure how ive done tho.

i hate exam post mortems tho so i will be staying away from this thread if we're discussing answers. my bio teacher said 2 me ive got the mc answers! and i was lik eh ur first one's wrong mate and he went oh yes....and so i didnt look at his answers after that.
Reply 5
higher wasn't too bad...the essays were pretty kind too...i did the one on transpiration and xerophytes and then the one about pituatry and named drugs on fetal development...i swear our teachers knew that was gonna come up...that was the title of our essay in the supplementary prelim...word for ****ing word...i was like omfg :eek:
Reply 6
Dobedoo that was quite a good paper. I love exam post mortems.

(A)
Some questions were a bit obscure e.g. that nucleic acid one which I totally got wrong..thought multi choice was quite interesting actually, some new types of questions came up. Number 20 with the weird graph was impossible. I went for A on the basis of KU as opposed to the graph.

(B)
Hated data question but have to admit it was nicer than usual - I'm just rubbish at them. (2) was really good except I had to squint at the Trehalose for ages. Also for the seals question I just said that the seals sat on the plants to breed so they um...died from lack of light. Then I happily harped on about cows and grass and paramecium and butterflies for the essay.

(C)
E was odd. I wrote about lactic acid, glycogen-glucose depletion and then a vague thing about damanged muscles. Friend wrote that he was going down a hill on the way there and up a hill on the way back, which is quite possible depending on how you read the question. Omg, what was (3b) all about? Now that one I sucked at. And (4) was just all the advice from the telly/leaflets/diet books.

Does anyone else fear that they have somehow managed to fill in the multiple choice sheet incorrectly? Cos I swear mine are out of sync.
Reply 7
I also did the second essay question.

I found it surprisingly good, I was really having reservations about it but it went ok. The multiple choice was a gift, I thought!

Overall I'm happy. I'll be disappointed if I don't get a B.
Reply 8
(I'm on about the AH btw)
Reply 9
ha ha ur seal answer is fantastic. last year in the highr there was a question about how a rattlesnake increased its body temperature when it was cold. someone i know put "sunbathing" which i thot was hysterical but then i put it shakes its tail which is also rather amusing.

oh aye tht nucleic acid mc one was a bit of an evil wee number. my friend put the hill thing for th bike malark as well. sounds like a good answer.
Well that was fab, heh.

The essay options were kind of poo though.

I got to write about heroin addicts and their unborn babies though.. hurray...
Um it was horrible.

Multi-choice was hard and multiple choice is NEVER hard. Data question was mostly ok.

For the probe question (I think it's about probes anyway) are the relevant features "single stranded" and "has a base sequence complementary to a base sequence on the gene"? Wtf is screening?

I did the second essay. Basically just wrote everything I knew about each topic. For the defence against predation do you just talk about crypsis, mimicry and warning colouration? Wasn't really sure what they were after in the essay.

In Unit 3 (Physiology) I had NO IDEA why the skinfold thickness test gives valid results. Does it even say in the monograph? Made up some crap about fat being distributed in specific proportions at different parts of the body and the calipers are used in several different places. Or something.

Everything about that exam sucked.
Reply 12
hah...you have such a way with words :rolleyes:
Reply 13
quadruple_twist
Um it was horrible.

For the probe question (I think it's about probes anyway) are the relevant features "single stranded" and "has a base sequence complementary to a base sequence on the gene"? Wtf is screening?

Yes thats what I got.

I did the second essay. Basically just wrote everything I knew about each topic. For the defence against predation do you just talk about crypsis, mimicry and warning colouration? Wasn't really sure what they were after in the essay.

Again, thats what I wrote about because we don't do non-morphological defences...maybe they do it in Animal Behaviour but def. not Environmental.

In Unit 3 (Physiology) I had NO IDEA why the skinfold thickness test gives valid results. Does it even say in the monograph? Made up some crap about fat being distributed in specific proportions at different parts of the body and the calipers are used in several different places. Or something.

Okay that sounds like a pretty damn good answer.
I thought it was quite fair - I was so happy that one of the essays was on succession, and that monoclonals came up in biotech!
Oh yeah - see the MCQs, is anyone else panicking a bit that if they went slightly over the box then the silly SQA machines won't mark your paper properly? You guys filled the boxes in the answer paper as well, right?
Reply 16
yeah totally worried about that. i can well see EXAM CRISIS 2K6 happening cos the stupid machines wont be able to read the answers right.

yeah i filled them in. none of this just drawing a skinny wee line.

for that mad caplipers question i said it used four areas (supra iliac, subscapular, triceps/biceps) so allowed for people having skinny arms and fatty stomachs and because it used a mathematical formula- made it more accurate. but i dont remember about tht in ye olde monograph.
Liz150888
yeah totally worried about that. i can well see EXAM CRISIS 2K6 happening cos the stupid machines wont be able to read the answers right.

yeah i filled them in. none of this just drawing a skinny wee line.

for that mad caplipers question i said it used four areas (supra iliac, subscapular, triceps/biceps) so allowed for people having skinny arms and fatty stomachs and because it used a mathematical formula- made it more accurate. but i dont remember about tht in ye olde monograph.

I may marry you for saying that, thankyee!
Reply 18
latentcorpse
dont say im not fast eh? exam finished like 15 mins ago

Lol! I was going to come on right after the exam too, but I thought it would look a bit keen... well I'll know for chemistry!
I did Higher Human Biology :rolleyes: so not *nearly* as hard as the exam you guys did - my essay questions were along the line of 'explain factors which affect enzyme activity' or 'discuss the world's water needs' (i.e. v. v. V. easy)
But then I did take a skive subject, so what did I expect? Good luck for August everyone :redface:
Reply 19
*civil partnership, friendlyneutron :wink:

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending