The Student Room Group

What Estee Lauder Double Wear shade am I?

I went to get a consultation at an Estee Lauder counter for Double Wear and got matched to Cool Bone (1C1), which seemed okay at the time but when I tried the sample at home my mum said it looked orangey. I then bought the next shade down (Shell, 1C0) and that's too pale and very pink, so I've now wasted £27.50. I was told I had pink undertones but I'm not sure about that now. I was thinking of trying Bone (1W1) or Ivory Nude (1N1) but swatches on the internet can be hard to go by.

I'm so frustrated and I don't understand why it's so difficult to get the right foundation. Revlon Colorstay in Buff is a decent match but it's a tad too yellowy, No7 Beautifully Matte in Calico is better but it comes off really quickly, what with my skin being so oily.

I can't afford to keep buying different Estee Lauder shades and I don't want to have to keep going back and forth to Debenhams to get new samples, since they only let you have one at a time. I've heard so many good things about this foundation and there's supposed to be a match for every skin tone.

Anyone who knows anything about this foundation, please help?
(edited 11 years ago)
Bump?
Reply 2
I've also recently had this problem with the same product . I am extremely pale and none of the shades were suitable for me- I spent a good hour in boots( second time visiting) having my make up done with the 4 different paler shades and testing what they looked like outside in daylight. I would really recommend that you don't by the product on line , I nearly did by guessing what shade I could possibly be.. When I went into the store the first time I was neither of the 3 shades I expected to be. I was matched with 1N1( matched by an unhelpful consultant who simply guessed and didn't put any on my skin to test) I took it back and the consultant the second time allowed me to exchange the product because I was matched incorrectly. I went for the maximum cover by Estée Lauder instead of the double wear as they had a paler shade more suitable to my skin( still not as perfect as I hoped mind but no other beauty counter in boots had anything suitable for my skin colour)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Sorry I meant to add, that I highly recommend asking the consultant if they can apply the different shades of foundation all over and check it by a window or go outside the store and check in a mirror. Like I said I went to a boots store and the consultant offered to do this for me anyway

Is this since they've reformulated the shades? I have 1C1 Shell which is a perfect match, but I've heard that the new shades are different so sounds like I'll be in the same predicament as you! Get them to colour match you in store so you can see each shade next to each other on your jawline and it should be easier to see which one is the best match for you, then get a sample. If none of them are a good match, look for a different foundation. x
Reply 5
I wear the Maximum Cover Double Wear and it seems they are changing the shades there too. I tried to buy some online the other day and the 'names' had changed. i.e. 'creamy vanilla' was named something different and I had no idea which one to buy.

The only thing I can suggest is applying a few shades at the counter, to different patches of your face and say you'll be back in half an hour. Go outside and go to a cafe or other well lit area and check your face each time. The lights in department stores warp colours of foundation so much.

Also explain how much money you have spent and how disappointed you are and how you would like to take more than 1 sample to test again at home. It really is a fantastic foundation!
Took me like 5 samples to find my doublewear shade. They were either too orange or pink or yellow.
Original post by BANS2012
I've also recently had this problem with the same product . I am extremely pale and none of the shades were suitable for me- I spent a good hour in boots( second time visiting) having my make up done with the 4 different paler shades and testing what they looked like outside in daylight. I would really recommend that you don't by the product on line , I nearly did by guessing what shade I could possibly be.. When I went into the store the first time I was neither of the 3 shades I expected to be. I was matched with 1N1( matched by an unhelpful consultant who simply guessed and didn't put any on my skin to test) I took it back and the consultant the second time allowed me to exchange the product because I was matched incorrectly. I went for the maximum cover by Estée Lauder instead of the double wear as they had a paler shade more suitable to my skin( still not as perfect as I hoped mind but no other beauty counter in boots had anything suitable for my skin colour)

This is a really expensive option but if you want a perfect shade, buy an Illamasqua foundation in white or a really light one and mix it with doublewear. That's what I do (I also use extra light in maximum cover and it's STILL too dark for me, I have Dita skin) and it works really well. Both foundations are almost 30 quid though so it's not cheap but it works
Reply 8
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
This is a really expensive option but if you want a perfect shade, buy an Illamasqua foundation in white or a really light one and mix it with doublewear. That's what I do (I also use extra light in maximum cover and it's STILL too dark for me, I have Dita skin) and it works really well. Both foundations are almost 30 quid though so it's not cheap but it works

Thanks for the tip! I have never heard of this brand before so I did a quick research for reviews on it. It was good to read that it provides really good coverage because this is exactly what I want, but a lot of reviewers commented on how it doesn't really have long staying power- How do you find it?
Reply 9
MAC do a white foundation in the face and body range, that you can use to mix with other foundations to make them lighter but I've heard it only tends to mix well with other face and body foundations and can tend to separate on the face.

If you are considering buying a white or very light foundation to mix with others, definitely consider Illamasqua, price aside it's a great quality foundation.

Although I would recommend that you try Nars Sheer Glow or Bobbi Brown liquid foundation. The Bobbi brown one goes very light, I'd say just a bit lighter than MAC NW10, but make sure they apply the foundation to your skin and get a sample to try yourself before you spend any money. It's a product that you're spending a lot of money on and you want to make sure it's right for you.
Original post by rainbow.panda
I went to get a consultation at an Estee Lauder counter for Double Wear and got matched to Cool Bone (1C1), which seemed okay at the time but when I tried the sample at home my mum said it looked orangey. I then bought the next shade down (Shell, 1C0) and that's too pale and very pink, so I've now wasted £27.50. I was told I had pink undertones but I'm not sure about that now. I was thinking of trying Bone (1W1) or Ivory Nude (1N1) but swatches on the internet can be hard to go by.

I'm so frustrated and I don't understand why it's so difficult to get the right foundation. Revlon Colorstay in Buff is a decent match but it's a tad too yellowy, No7 Beautifully Matte in Calico is better but it comes off really quickly, what with my skin being so oily.

I can't afford to keep buying different Estee Lauder shades and I don't want to have to keep going back and forth to Debenhams to get new samples, since they only let you have one at a time. I've heard so many good things about this foundation and there's supposed to be a match for every skin tone.

Anyone who knows anything about this foundation, please help?

Have you tried using a powder to set your no7 one. I also have oily skin and use rimmel fit me liquid and have to set it with mac mineralise powder or sephora stay matte power (i think thats the name lol) if its the right match then keep it you probably just need a powder to go with it.
Hey! I wondered what the next darkest shades were from cool bone? And what was the best match for rimmel ivory 200? Thanks :smile:
I have an Indian skin tone and I hated the shade I was given (3w1 Tawny). I'm more of the warm side, for sure, or at least neutral-warm and I found that this looked really orange on me too, I think it oxidised really quickly because when I first put it on it was white as a ghost lol

It's a shame because the actual formula is perfect for someone with spots like me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I have light to medium skin colouring but sometimes have red blotches if I have alcohol

Quick Reply

Latest