The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Applying for Oxford 2014 OR 2015, scholarships.

Hello.

First, I must apologize for the lengthiness of this post. This thread is regarding scholarship possibilities and tactics when applying for a Masters in History at Oxford. Some of the advise I need is general, some is specific. Therefore I'm striving to be as detailed and clear as possible.

I'm a Swedish student in History, especially interested in global and social history. This spring I'm receiving my BA from Södertörns Högskola in Stockholm. It's a joint degree with geographically disparate components: 90 credits of Literature (from Lund University) and 90 credits of History (first 60 credits from Universidad de Salamanca, Spain, and the last 30 credits - including the thesis - from Södertörn, Stockholm). All in all, most of the grades are A's, with some B's - I won't be able to see until I get the BA formalised and the grades translated to ECTS. (In Sweden, we have a generous grading scheme with only three possible levels. VG, translated to either A or B, and G, translated to B or C. In Spain, on the other hand, they have a rigorous system which grades the students from 0 to 10, with everything over 4 being a pass.)

Currently, I'm experiencing a bit of a dilemma. My current objective in my postgraduate studies is either the MPhil or the MSc in Economic and Social History at Oxford (http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/course_guide/history.html), later leading to a PhD either at Oxford or elsewhere. I don't have any possibility whatsoever of funding this, and thus will need some sort of financial support.

My questions are the following:
1. What would be advisable to do in the meantime before I apply, to further my chances of getting a scholarship, and getting in?

I have been thinking about starting a Master in Global History in Berlin this fall. This way I will hopefully become fluent in German while also bettering my merits in my field of study, possibly getting something published in English. Hopefully this would help me further in applying for a scholarship. What do you think? I'm already fluent in Spanish. (Part of my Bachelor thesis is already planned for publication, but in a Swedish journal.) The only problem here is that the master is two years. In taking it and still applying for Oxford, I would either have to abort it in the middle (which I guess would make it difficult for me to get any recommendation letter from it), or finish a two year master before applying to Oxford. (Time is not the biggest issue at hand - I'm planning for a life in academia.)

2. Would it be possible to do a Master at Oxford AFTER doing a Master at a different university? Or how would this be looked upon, in terms of getting in, and in terms of getting a scholarship? (I think I could motivate doing a master in Global History before the Oxford master - both of these subjects will be intertwined in what I'm planning to write about in my eventual PhD thesis.) Would it be smarter to apply for the PhD straight away after the Berlin master? I guess I could apply to both.

3. Does a previous failed application affect later attempts? I.e. if I apply in 2014 and don't get in/get in without a scholarship, hence having to reject the offer, could I apply in 2015 with the same chances? 4. If Berlin is a bad idea altogether, what do you propose? Is it better to take undergraduate courses in a different subject than to apply for a masters after taking one?
5. Does extra-curricular activities help a lot when applying for a scholarship?
6. Do they care about GMAT and stuff like that when deciding whether or not to give a student a grant?

That's all for now. Thanks for your time! Any answer would be greatly appreciated, however small, incomplete or nonsensical.
Reply 1
Pray to God !
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending