The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

I don't think they have that saying about medical doctors.
Original post by SMed
Breaking Bad, y u so good?

True. Was awesome.

Original post by SMed
There's a saying that the perfect race car would completely fall apart just after crossing the finish line. That's me kinda.

Perfectly judged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's up again!

Looking to bulk up, could do with some advice from you guys for it. Looking to do the program SS as everyone raves about it here and i enjoy deadlifting and squatting :colone:

Starting weights today (went for a practise the other day but haven't been to a gym for over 2 years). Squat: 70kg, deadlift: 70kg, bench: 55-60kg. My height is 6 foot 2, weigh 12 stones.

Basically i am thinking porridge (how much of it) in the morning with 2 slices of toast for breakfast. How does that sound? I work in a kitchen full time so on my feet all day with little chances of breaks. Do have a free meal which would include various meat options (good quality burgers, sausages, bacon and then something like chips). Can't take the piss sadly so gotta be like a normal meal but i guess this helps...

How much do i need to be eating anyway on top of say a burger and chips i have at work and that breakfast. How many sort of calories? I've always struggled to put weight on in the past mainly because i'm pretty active and i put that down to it as for example just now i ate 250g mince in a bolognese, pasta and a whole garlic bread followed by a bit of cake. Probably a lot of you guys could eat more? :colondollar:

Anyway just looking for help and stuff as really want to get into this!
Original post by Gob Bluth
I've always struggled to put weight on in the past mainly because i'm pretty active and i put that down to it as for example just now i ate 250g mince in a bolognese, pasta and a whole garlic bread followed by a bit of cake. Probably a lot of you guys could eat more?

Nobody would necessarily eat more (well maybe some would, but it's not necessary). The difference is the big guys can eat that kind of thing consistently, maybe multiple times a day (if not at least as part of a larger diet) every day. You probably have that and nothing else significant that day. Or if you do, you probably don't have seven days like that every week.

It's hard, and that's why I'm small too. Don't get bogged down in single meals or whatever. Diet stuff is totally meaningless without consistency. Even with training you can be somewhat inconsistent and still make gains, which is why I'm still pretty strong compared to most.
Reply 1984
Thoughts on meal timing, ie. 6 meals @ 450 cal v 3 @ 700 and a couple of snacks v 3 @900cals?

Read so much conflicting information and an utterly confused. Personally I find it extremely hard to get down a meal every 3 hours as I'm simply not hungry that often and rarely hungry in the mornings. Sitting at 12st 5 @ 6'2 and struggling to consistently get it all down. Not looking for massive gains but aiming for slow, lean bulking to around 13st 2.

Question that's no doubt been done a million times so fair enough if you can't be arsed to reply but if anyone has similar experience, be good to hear.
Meal timing matters in that you have to get in a certain amount of calories/macros over the the course of the day.
Reply 1986
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Meal timing matters in that you have to get in a certain amount of calories/macros over the the course of the day.

I know this, basics. However, would you say that precise timings and amounts of pro/fat/cho per meal is more important when at a high level of cutting, for example? When someone is looking to remove that last bit of bf and are doing everything in a very scientific manner?
Original post by AdaD
I know this, basics. However, would you say that precise timings and amounts of pro/fat/cho per meal is more important when at a high level of cutting, for example? When someone is looking to remove that last bit of bf and are doing everything in a very scientific manner?

Are you planning on getting to 5% bf? When cutting people usually have a meal closer to when they're working out so they feel more energized. That is as far as it goes.
Original post by Motorbiker
True. Was awesome.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankfully, I watched Dexter before BBad. The former is terrible but I have to watch it :/..

Original post by AdaD

In your first post, you say you're bulking. Now you talk about cutting? Which is it?
Meal timing is irrelevant aside from having 24 hours to eat a day's worth of macros but that's not what most mean by meal timing.

As long as you have your macros for the day it doesn't matter if you have them all in 1 meal, 10 meals, 76 meals or 3 meals. I'm much happier after learning about macros and meal timing. Before I was like most people when they start; you think you gotta eat every 2 hours and it gets horrible.

I think track macros meaning protein and calories and you'll be fine. I got down to a good BF% just doing that and could have kept it up much longer. I think you should only worry about ratios and the tracking all macros when you want to compete or something.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1990
Original post by cowsforsale
In your first post, you say you're bulking. Now you talk about cutting? Which is it?

Sorry, was just trying to answer a few different questions in one! Bulking currently but the info re cutting will come in handy when I reach this stage.

Original post by Michael XYZ
Meal timing is irrelevant aside from having 24 hours to eat a day's worth of macros but that's not what most mean by meal timing.

As long as you have your macros for the day it doesn't matter if you have them all in 1 meal, 10 meals, 76 meals or 3 meals. I'm much happier after learning about macros and meal timing. Before I was like most people when they start; you think you gotta eat every 2 hours and it gets horrible.

I think track macros meaning protein and calories and you'll be fine. I got down to a good BF% just doing that and could have kept it up much longer. I think you should only worry about ratios and the tracking all macros when you want to compete or something.

Makes sense, cheers. Besides, I need bloody ages to digest food before training so 450-500 cals 6 times a day just does not work. I'm not competing therefore I'm happy not to have my life so regimented that I MUST be awake at 6 every day in order to eat at 7am! Slowly bulking whilst remaining 8-10% bf is good enough for me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ifbb Pro Amit Sapir
A 22 year old kid in my gym is going around and "coaching" people. giving them diets and advice.. here are the statements I heard the last few days:
1)"meals timing is not important"
2) "clean eating is a myth, you can eat pop tarts as much you want as long as it fit you macros.
3) its ok to eat one time a day as long as it fit you macros..
usually I wont give a damm but when someone who doesn't have a clue goes around and ruined other kids life with bad information its pissing me off. thoughts?

John Meadows
"haha...well as soon as someone says meal timing is not important I tune them out. Right out of the gates they don't understand the basic concept of glut-4 translocation (both insulin and non insulin mediated (from mechanical tension on muscle) and it's effects on getting nutrients selectively into muscle cells...game over..person is official tuned out"

Ifbb Pro Amit Sapir
"that's the scientific explanation I was waiting for. all I can hope that when it comes from one of the most brilliant minds in that sports ,maybe ,just maybe those clown will start listen...or at least wont try to spread this BS around."
Ifbb Pro Amit Sapir
A 22 year old kid in my gym is going around and "coaching" people. giving them diets and advice.. here are the statements I heard the last few days:
2) "clean eating is a myth, you can eat pop tarts as much you want as long as it fit you macros.
usually I wont give a damm but when someone who doesn't have a clue goes around and ruined other kids life with bad information its pissing me off. thoughts?

John Meadows
"haha...well as soon as someone says meal timing is not important I tune them out. Right out of the gates they don't understand the basic concept of glut-4 translocation (both insulin and non insulin mediated (from mechanical tension on muscle) and it's effects on getting nutrients selectively into muscle cells...game over..person is official tuned out"

Ifbb Pro Amit Sapir
"that's the scientific explanation I was waiting for. all I can hope that when it comes from one of the most brilliant minds in that sports ,maybe ,just maybe those clown will start listen...or at least wont try to spread this BS around."

Who's John meadows? He seems to be quoting a small peice information of nutrition (which isn't even correct in that context) and then acting like an *******.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please don't do SS if you want to bulk. Do SS if you want to get stronger.
Any IFBB pro coach is just a drug coach and maybe some nutrition. But even then it's all BS. Ultimately they care about the drugs.
Original post by Slick Fosbury
Please don't do SS if you want to bulk. Do SS if you want to get stronger.

How would you get significantly stronger on SS without bulking?
Original post by RollerBall
Who's John meadows? He seems to be quoting a small peice information of nutrition (which isn't even correct in that context) and then acting like an *******.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's a competitive powerlifter/bodybuilder who is juiced up to high heavens. I guess that's why he would care about meal timing. I'm also assuming he has several clients who compete in IFBB (where steroid use is prevalent).
Well you introduce insulin into the equation so it then does matter.
Original post by AdaD

I can speak from experience because I'm cutting down to shredded right now. Meal timing is still bull**** at this level - I fast for 16-20 hours, workout fasted, then eat all my calories however the **** I like within 4-8 hours.
Ifbb Pro Amit Sapir

John Meadows

Ifbb Pro Amit Sapir

Well, if you're using insulin, then yes meal timing is kind of important - because if you inject insulin and dont eat, you die

Quick Reply

Latest