The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Taking BCAAs when already having enough protein= throwing petrol on your car after filling up the tank.

great analogy, would use again/10
Reply 381
Original post by SDavis123
Guys what supplements would you say are essential? I have only ever used whey protein but to be fair I'm currently using maximuslce cyclone which has glutamine and creatine so I don't really know too much about supps.

Also, I'm 17 so we can skip the test boosters for now :tongue:

Personally I go with below:

Essential:
Whey Protein, Creatine Monohydrate, Multivitamin.

Occasional/Optional.
Omega 3, Vitamin D, BCAA's, ZMA.
Original post by Khanage
Essential:

You what? :lolwut:

Firstly, the scientific community is completely split as to whether they even work and there are some who even question whether they're even safe. Whey protein, on the other hand, is simply protein (with an even higher amino acid profile than eggs). So it is an effective supplement if you're struggling to get your protein from wholefood sources. But it isn't necessary (or 'essential') as such. Both supplements are byproducts of our society's unhealthy eating habits and compulsion to favour artificial substitutes over natural sources of food. Creatine, on your list, is the only 'essential' supplement if you're looking to maximise your strength gains by natural means.
Reply 383
Original post by RamocitoMorales

Firstly, the scientific community is completely split as to whether they even work and there are some who even question whether they're even safe. Whey protein, on the other hand, is simply protein (with an even higher amino acid profile than eggs). So it is an effective supplement if you're struggling to get your protein from wholefood sources. But it isn't necessary (or 'essential') as such. Both supplements are byproducts of our society's unhealthy eating habits and compulsion to favour artificial substitutes over natural sources of food. Creatine, on your list, is the only 'essential' supplement if you're looking to maximise your strength gains by natural means.

He asked for my opinion, I gave it...

I should probably have elaborated but i'd have thought that it is obvious in this thread - aim to get protein and vitamins/minerals from natural sources first, obviously supplements are exactly what the name says - to supplement a good diet.

As for creatine, i'm pretty sure as he is posting in 'the muscle building society', he is looking to get bigger/stronger. Hence the recommendation.

No need to be a dick is there :wink:
Reply 384

Just looked at your thread... you fast for 20 hours a day... and your saying that a multivitamin splits the scientific community and could be unsafe?! lulz.
Original post by Khanage
He asked for my opinion, I gave it...

I should probably have elaborated but i'd have thought that it is obvious in this thread - aim to get protein and vitamins/minerals from natural sources first, obviously supplements are exactly what the name says - to supplement a good diet.

I had a problem with you placing 'multivitamins' under 'essential' rather than 'optional', that is all.

Khanage
As for creatine, i'm pretty sure as he is posting in 'the muscle building society', he is looking to get bigger/stronger. Hence the recommendation.

Yes, I agreed.

Khanage
No need to be a dick is there :wink:

Kind of hypocritical given that I am not being a 'dick' at all. I am simply debating a topic whereas you have taken it personally and have (directly or indirectly) insulted me.

Khanage
Just looked at your thread... you fast for 20 hours a day... and your saying that a multivitamin splits the scientific community and could be unsafe?! lulz.

Have you read the studies on intermittent fasting?

P.S. I've looked at 'your thread' also. :wink2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 386
I had a problem with you placing 'multivitamins' under 'essential' rather than 'optional', that is all.

Yes, I agreed.

Kind of hypocritical given that I am not being a 'dick' at all. I am simply debating a topic whereas you have taken it personally and have (directly or indirectly) insulted me.

Have you read the studies on intermittent fasting?

P.S. I've looked at 'your thread' also. :wink2:

In my opinion, they're essential.

Yup I've read some.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously no supplement is essential but it's clear he meant "recommended" as opposed to "yo bro, you gotta get yo whey protein 10 minutes after you train or you just wasting yo time dawg".

Also, fasting is a joke. Discuss.

Flexible dieting is so much better lulz. IIFYM or go home. Seriously. If you're not doing IIFYM you may as well not bother lifting. Making life harder than it has to be. Why would anyone ever fast? The basic concept is idiotic. I have no science for what I'm saying, but I like to eat food and not in an 8 hour window.
Original post by Michael XYZ
Obviously no supplement is essential but it's clear he meant "recommended" as opposed to "yo bro, you gotta get yo whey protein 10 minutes after you train or you just wasting yo time dawg".

Flexible dieting is so much better lulz. IIFYM or go home. Seriously. If you're not doing IIFYM you may as well not bother lifting. Making life harder than it has to be. Why would anyone ever fast? The basic concept is idiotic. I have no science for what I'm saying, but I like to eat food and not in an 8 hour window.

I wouldn't say it's useless, I fast in 2 hour window (lol) because I'm cutting and I get more satiated on a large post workout meal rather than little morsels of food throughout the day.
The same people who call the bros tards for eating every 2-3 hours and end up causing themselves way more hassle than necessary now shove their entire caloric intake for the day into a few hours lol.

4000 calories in 4 hours. Challenge accepted.
Reply 390

From a bodybuilding point of view both fasting and IIFYM are a bit of a joke.

Essentially, all the serious advocates were saying was 'eat a sensible diet 99% of what you need to do is just get roughly the right amount of macros without being anal about when/how often you eat or what exactly you eat'

What happens is that instead of accepting these basic principles as a licence to be more relaxed about eating for bodybuilding purposes - most people take them too far by either thinking fasting is magic or using it to binge and purge and never eat any veg or just a normal meal.
Well if you do that then don't call it fasting. It is fasting, but saying you're doing "X fasting" method implies you think there are benefits to it - which there aren't. It's the same as if you ate 20 small meals every 30 minutes - the macros count.

I think idiots will take IIFYM to mean "ye brah, i'm at maccy d's all day son". People with some intelligence will realise it just means eat whenever the **** you want, hitting good amout of fiber and fruit/veg and then just eat whatever to fit your macros.

Fasting to me just seems like a really good way to **** up your eating habits. It works the same way IIFYM works, but there is nothing special about it. It's still flexible dieting if you eat in a 5 hour period because that's flexible for you.
You can do IIFYM and fasting at the same time :wink:

I still find it weird that people are anal about counting calories. It's not like you're competing? But I recognize it works for some people. Just like fasting. Personally think it's great. Generally those that find it hard to fast hate the idea. It's not the same thing as fasting not working. I find it easier to restrict overall calories on a fast. Also there is no denying it has various effects on your hormones.

Anyway, whatever works. I wouldn't discourage anyone to try out different eating methods.
Counting calories is very easy in today's world though. If you find it difficult then you're doing something wrong.
I wouldn't count carbs and fats. Just count calories and protein intake.

Incredibly easy. MyFitnessPal even have an app so you can use your phone and log calories when you're out. I mean you're gonna be at your PC, probably, takes a few minutes at most to just add things up.
Reply 395
I wouldn't count carbs and fats. Just count calories and protein intake.

Incredibly easy. MyFitnessPal even have an app so you can use your phone and log calories when you're out. I mean you're gonna be at your PC, probably, takes a few minutes at most to just add things up.

I would just do it in your head and approximate. Learn to eyeball portion sizes. Once you get the hang of it it is piss easy. The accuracy you lose is taken care of by your body anyway.

I rarely count or estimate anything but I do generally have a good appreciation of what the portion sizes of the foods I most commonly eat are. I would imagine that my calories are still within +/- 200 of where I want them to be anyway.

For protein, I just go by 500g of lean meat raw is about 100g protein, milk about 20g per pint and eggs about 5-6g each. Then I just know from habit without thinking too much about it how much I should have.

I think that if you think about these things for a small amount of time, you can then get to the situation where you rarely have to think about it fairly quickly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Khanage

He would disagree.

Michael XYZ

:sigh:

I quote, Khanate:
Essential:

So no, it's clear he meant essential as opposed to 'recommended'.

Spoiler

Michael XYZ
Flexible dieting is so much better lulz. IIFYM or go home.

Well actually I count my macros also. As silent ninja said, you can do both. IF doesn't mean 'oh, I can eat what I want now'. It's just another method that differs from eating 'six small meals throughout the day'. Eight hours is still an incredibly long time. It also helps with breaking snacking habbits since you get to a certain time and think 'oh, I can't eat anymore'. As a society I think we snack far too often and IF gives your metabolism a bit of a break. I also train best with an empty stomach so just do whatever suits you because this is what works best for me.

Michael XYZ
Incredibly easy. MyFitnessPal even have an app so you can use your phone and log calories when you're out.

Well, not all of us own a smartphone.

Spoiler

I've said this before but I think it is worth repeating. Meal frequency is pretty much based on personal preference. Some people feel better while fasting for 16 hours a day, other people feel better eating 3-4 square meals a day, other people prefer to eat 6 meals a day. A lot of it will be what you are used to and I am sure personality comes into as well. Plenty of people naturally skip breakfast for whatever reason.

I don't think there is much point arguing about it in general because there I don't think there is conclusive evidence for the superiority of either eating style. Nor in all probability would the minor difference in gains make it worthwhile turning your life upside down to accomodate your 'new' eating style. This all assumes you are not a n00b with disastrous eating habits.
Who else pre-exhausts? Anyone?
No one because the concept is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest