The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Troll Toll
I really don't agree with this line of reasoning for reasons I won't go into in this post but will no doubt find myself typing out once someone asks me to elaborate.

Should I ask?

It's just something I routinely see on Mark's board.
I squat past parallel, I think weak abs might be a cause of it...
Original post by CrispyLips
Anyone else notice that they don't get 'morning wood' anymore once they've started cutting/cardio.
Most likely a result of lower testosterone levels but does anyone know how to fix this? lol

Also how accurate are calorie counters on cardio machines in the gym? I burn about 500 cals on the elliptical machine in about 30mins at level 16ish with occasional burst of HIIT in there. Or if I'm running its about 350 cals in 30 mins.

All that time on the elliptical machine is turning you into a girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cowsforsale
Should I ask?

It's just something I routinely see on Mark's board.

It's not particularly controversial or beaten to death, it's just that most of my opinions take at least 250 words to properly represent. You may or may not have noticed this. I'll talk about it later.

Rippetoe has changed his mind about it a couple of times over the years I think.
Are you squatting deep? Your hamstrings control your back angle so having stronger ones help.

I disagree entirely, its not about hamstrings, after learning to truly squat ATG I realised its all about biomechanics of your squat form not conscious control of erectors - I don't pay attention to what my back does at all, yet no rounding ATG. Its about sitting back, hip hinging properly, cylindrical trunk mechanics, bracing, going to Max hip flexion and then getting Rom out of your ankles and knees whilst keeping torso inclination static. Troll toll is arguing that pelvic tilting and lower back rounding are not the same (70s big school of thought). I don't even squat anymore and have cut my mobilisation in half and could squat atg any gym session I wanted. I always struggled with squat form and weight transferring forwards because of long femurs - it's all bull**** tho and I realised I just needed different joint angles. Once you actually learn hamstring tension proprioception, you become much quicker out of the hole because quads do the early work and then leaves hamstrings and glutes to do the brunt (hip extension) but this is just what happens with my squat because of my anthropometrics - shorter femurs means you can have a more upright torso and in my opinion biases the quads more.

Shorter femurs implies your squat is going to be more of an up-and-down type movement, whereas if your longer femurs implies your squat is going to be more of a concertina accordion type movement, if that makes any sense?

But these are just my opinions and regardless some people are going to disagree with me because I have never squatted anything remotely impressive, and somehow that makes my opinions worthless to some members of this forum.

Original post by AreebWithaHat
I squat past parallel, I think weak abs might be a cause of it...

Bull****.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by HFerguson
I disagree entirely, its not about hamstrings, after learning to truly squat ATG I realised its all about biomechanics of your squat form not conscious control of erectors - I don't pay attention to what my back does at all, yet no rounding ATG. Its about sitting back, hip hinging properly, cylindrical trunk mechanics, bracing, going to Max hip flexion and then getting Rom out of your ankles and knees whilst keeping torso inclination static. Troll toll is arguing that pelvic tilting and lower back rounding are not the same (70s big school of thought). I don't even squat anymore and have cut my mobilisation in half and could squat atg any gym session I wanted. I always struggled with squat form and weight transferring forwards because of long femurs - it's all bull**** tho and I realised I just needed different joint angles. Once you actually learn hamstring tension proprioception, you become much quicker out of the hole because quads do the early work and then leaves hamstrings and glutes to do the brunt (hip extension) but this is just what happens with my squat because of my anthropometrics - shorter femurs means you can have a more upright torso and in my opinion biases the quads more.

Bull****.

Break your post down for a retard? So my squat biomechanics are wrong?
Break your post down for a retard? So my squat biomechanics are wrong?

Your squat is never going to look like an upright-torso chinese athlete olympic squat at the Arnold 2008 (we've all seen that video), because you have long femurs, we're the same height. Your high bar squat is more likely to resemble a low-bar squat in terms of torso inclination.

To initiate your squat, I would recommend leaning back onto your heels until you feel your toes come up, as if you're going to fall backwards if you lean back anymore, THEN you hip hinge. Once you max out hip flexion, let your knees close completely and let your ankles dorsiflex and you'll get a nice quad and calf stretch reflex to rocket you out of the hole - then you will find that all you have to do is extend at the hip to basically finish the movement - which will be done mostly by hamstrings and glutes and lower back. You literally need to fall backwards to start your squat. The whole "break at the knee at the same time as the hip" or "break at the knee first" and "keep your torso upright" are lovely cues for 5'6 ****ing manlets like Candito (as lovely as his high-bar form was), but it's never going to work for us 6'1 manmores, Areeb baby.

I found that "falling backwards" to initiate my squat really helped me keep my weight on my heels and stop my knees going too far forward - I thought I would always be cursed to a huge knee drift, but I looked at my squat form and my torso was too upright for my anthropometrics. (see video)

This is how I used to squat, and it's probably similar to how you squat, and it is how neither of us should be squatting. I will try to get a video of my new squat form next leg day for you. Pause it when I'm in the hole, then analyse my torso angle (way too upright) and how far forward my knees are over my toes - no one has that much ankle ROM without intense mobbing and great genetics, it's really no surprise I blew out my tib post tendon. If you look at this video, I'm also inverting my ankles because no more rom.

**** it, I'm gonna film my new squat form and old squat form and critique them with voice over and compare the two for you. "How to high-bar squat for people with long femurs".
(edited 10 years ago)
Your squat is never going to look like an upright-torso chinese athlete olympic squat at the Arnold 2008 (we've all seen that video), because you have long femurs, we're the same height. Your high bar squat is more likely to resemble a low-bar squat in terms of torso inclination.

To initiate your squat, I would recommend leaning back onto your heels until you feel your toes come up, as if you're going to fall backwards if you lean back anymore, THEN you hip hinge. Once you max out hip flexion, let your knees close completely and let your ankles dorsiflex and you'll get a nice quad and calf stretch reflex to rocket you out of the hole - then you will find that all you have to do is extend at the hip to basically finish the movement - which will be done mostly by hamstrings and glutes and lower back. You literally need to fall backwards to start your squat. The whole "break at the knee at the same time as the hip" or "break at the knee first" and "keep your torso upright" are lovely cues for 5'6 ****ing manlets like Candito (as lovely as his high-bar form was), but it's never going to work for us 6'1 manmores, Areeb baby.

I found that "falling backwards" to initiate my squat really helped me keep my weight on my heels and stop my knees going too far forward - I thought I would always be cursed to a huge knee drift, but I looked at my squat form and my torso was too upright for my anthropometrics. (see video)

This is how I used to squat, and it's probably similar to how you squat, and it is how neither of us should be squatting. I will try to get a video of my new squat form next leg day for you. Pause it when I'm in the hole, then analyse my torso angle (way too upright) and how far forward my knees are over my toes - no one has that much ankle ROM without intense mobbing and great genetics, it's really no surprise I blew out my tib post tendon. If you look at this video, I'm also inverting my ankles because no more rom.

**** it, I'm gonna film my new squat form and old squat form and critique them with voice over and compare the two for you. "How to high-bar squat for people with long femurs".

Cheers. Will try this out next squat session.
I wanna see that video. Long femurs here too and high bar squatting makes me lean forward a lot more than other people I've seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its about sitting back, hip hinging properly, cylindrical trunk mechanics, bracing, going to Max hip flexion and then getting Rom out of your ankles and knees whilst keeping torso inclination static.

Sounds like kelly starrett woowoo

I don't even squat anymore and have cut my mobilisation in half and could squat atg any gym session I wanted.

Your brain sends pain signals and restricts movement when it thinks your body is in danger. Also explains why things seem to hurt more when you haven't slept much and/or are stressed. Like what nun and smed earlier in this thread, the only squat mobilisation required imo are a few sets with 60kg until everything feels smooth and comfortable.

shorter femurs means you can have a more upright torso and in my opinion biases the quads more.

Shorter femurs implies your squat is going to be more of an up-and-down type movement, whereas if your longer femurs implies your squat is going to be more of a concertina accordion type movement, if that makes any sense?

I don't buy into all of this femur length stuff. At what length does one not have short femurs? Does someone who is just past the critical point doomed to have **** squat form forever?

The Chinese lifters are able to stay upright not because they have short femurs (it might help, I don't know) but because like any other oly lifter, they have squatted that way all the time. They need to stay upright for their sport so it only makes sense to squat in a similar manner.

People good morning the weight because they let it happen. It's an easy way out for the body to allow back take the brunt off the weight. Everytime you keep reverting to this method, it just becomes second nature. Old habits die hard, so when using heavy weight, they have to default to that method.

For example, Tom martin used to squat in the powerlifting-good morning fashion.

Then he dropped the weight, worked on his technique with added conscious effort to stay upright and never allowing his form to break. He kept at it over and over until this became second nature and has pretty decent form now.

Unsurprisingly, his gym buddy who he coaches also has pretty decent form (after lowering the weight and working at it with a conscious effort).

I didn't really explain that eloquently. Good book I highly recommend is "The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science" which kind of touches on what I was talking about.
(edited 10 years ago)
why not just low bar squat?

Your brain sends pain signals and restricts movement when it thinks your body is in danger. Also explains why things seem to hurt more when you haven't slept much and/or are stressed. Like what nun and smed earlier in this thread, the only squat mobilisation required imo are a few sets with 60kg until everything feels smooth and comfortable.

I don't buy into all of this femur length stuff. At what length does one not have short femurs? Does someone who is just past the critical point doomed to have **** squat form forever?

The Chinese lifters are able to stay upright not because they have short femurs (it might help, I don't know) but because like any other oly lifter, they have squatted that way all the time. They need to stay upright for their sport so it only makes sense to squat in a similar manner.

People good morning the weight because they let it happen. It's an easy way out for the body to allow back take the brunt off the weight. Everytime you keep reverting to this method, it just becomes second nature. Old habits die hard, so when using heavy weight, they have to default to that method.

Then he dropped the weight, worked on his technique with added conscious effort to stay upright and never allowing his form to break. He kept at it over and over until this became second nature and has pretty decent form now.

Unsurprisingly, his gym buddy who he coaches also has pretty decent form (after lowering the weight and working at it with a conscious effort).

I didn't really explain that eloquently. Good book I highly recommend is "The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science" which kind of touches on what I was talking about.

Yep that Tom Martin's 265 squat looks pretty close to mine. So your opinion is that I need to re-learn the motor pattern?
Original post by Arturo Bandini

low bar just exacerbates the 'good morning' problem for me.
yeah.
Original post by Arturo Bandini

My high bar squat looks like a low bar squat other than bar placement which allows me to go atg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Femur length is. RELATIVE TO TORSO AND LOWER LEG LENGTH. How hard is that to grasp? You can be 5'2 and have long femurs but that would be incredibly rare, as would 6'1 with short legs - statistically, most tall people get the extra height from a longer leg.

You failed to take into account tom martin changing bar position on his back which would change the squat mechanic. Another difference between his two squats is thoracic extension.

I don't believe in upright squatting for long femured athletes because its ****ing basic geometry.
(edited 10 years ago)
I would squat however you want to squat and whichever allows you to achieve whatever goals you have.

There's nothing wrong with the good-morning/forward leaning squat if that works for you. Some great lifters squat like that it works great for their purposes. Others can stay ridiculously upright and that also works for them.

Right now I'm playing around with staying more upright. I think elbows forward is a good cue for that. If you have them rather back there's a really good chance you will lean forward a whole deal. I think it was a Mark Bell video I watched and he said the angle of your torso will follow the angle of your elbows.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I would squat however you want to squat and whichever allows you to achieve whatever goals you have.

There's nothing wrong with the good-morning/forward leaning squat if that works for you. Some great lifters squat like that it works great for their purposes. Others can stay ridiculously upright and that also works for them.

Right now I'm playing around with staying more upright. I think elbows forward is a good cue for that. If you have them rather back there's a really good chance you will lean forward a whole deal. I think it was a Mark Bell video I watched and he said the angle of your torso will follow the angle of your elbows.

By good morning squat I don't mean forward lean. I mean my bums shoots up first, so my knees extend first and then my hips extend second as I good morning the weight up. I know different squats for different people but this definitely feels wrong to me. The movement is pretty much done with only quads and lower back.

I'll try out the elbows forward. Just noticed mine are always pointed straight back.
Yes I definitely know what you're talking about.

The problem with elbows forward is that you don't feel your upper-back is as tight. Basically I'm trying to copy the style of lifters like Jesse Norris and Pozdeev and most IPF lifters.
I disagree entirely, its not about hamstrings, after learning to truly squat ATG I realised its all about biomechanics of your squat form not conscious control of erectors - I don't pay attention to what my back does at all, yet no rounding ATG. Its about sitting back, hip hinging properly, cylindrical trunk mechanics, bracing, going to Max hip flexion and then getting Rom out of your ankles and knees whilst keeping torso inclination static.

"Keeping torso inclination static" is what this whole thing is about. There is a school of thought that says the cause of a good morning'd squat is weak hamstrings, because the hamstrings too weak to keep the back at the right angle out of the hole (and I think this is also what Rip thinks but I can't remember). This is an old powerlifting school of thought too and I disagree with it on a few levels. First of all, when you good morning a squat the hamstrings ARE strong enough to eventually extend your hip otherwise it would be a missed squat not a good morning'd squat. I see no reason why hamstrings would be strong enough to recover from a bad position, but too weak to hold the good position in the first place. That logic simply doesn't make sense to me. On a more intuitive level, the powerlifters (this is from the POSTERIOR CHAIN AT ALL COSTS era) would recommend good mornings as an assistance exercise to stop doing them. So you are already doing a good morning every time you squat, but somehow this will stop if you get even better at good mornings. Again, not something I agree with intuitively. The third reason I disagree with for the weak hamstrings explanation is that if you push your chest up and your knees forward, the cause of that is ALSO weak hamstrings. To me it seems that if one change of back angle is caused by weak hamstrings then the opposite version must be caused by weak quads. Quads are a muscle and a potential weak point, but the posterior chain crew will NEVER identify them as such. All they have is a hammer (or a glute ham raise) and everything looks like a nail (weak hamstrings)

I think a good morning like back angle change is possibly caused by not paying close enough attention to form, and possibly caused by weak quads. This is because the quads contract (knees extend), but they cannot lift the weight. So rather than being lifted the weight stays in the same place, pulls your body forward and waits for the hamstrings to bail it out with a good morning style lift. If you keep a reasonable back angle you will also feel the exercise more in your quads.

TL;DR: I believe cowsforsale is advancing an old theory where WSB acolytes would tell everyone that the cause of everything bad is a weak posterior chain. Under this theory there is literally no such thing as weak quads, and no conceivable type of squat where the solution to a problem is to have stronger quads. I do not believe any of this is true.

Troll toll is arguing that pelvic tilting and lower back rounding are not the same (70s big school of thought).

That is not what I am arguing, nor is it what I think (or it could be, theoretically, but I would never word it like that). The pelvis is attached to the back, I define pelvic tilt as being related the the back in all cases. This conversation as I understand it is to do with a change in back angle, not back extension or flexion. In that respect the pelvis is tilting and taking the extended back with it, so you are sort of right that I don't think they are the same thing. But I don't think that wording is a very clear way to represent my argument.
low bar just exacerbates the 'good morning' problem for me.

I actually think this is further evidence for my position that it is FAR more likely to be caused by weak quads relative to hamstrings than vice versa. Think about it. Lowering the bar reduces the lever arm between your (hips) hamstrings and the weight, but it does nothing to change the leverage between your knees and the weights. In other words, lowering the bar makes your hamstrings "stronger", or puts them in a stronger position, without doing the same to your quads. So in that respect, it is no surprise that you are able to use your stronger hamstrings to GM more weight, while your relatively weaker quads cannot force it out of the hole and instead just end up moving your hips. Sorry if this explanation is confusing.

Original post by Michael XYZ

There is a distinction to be made here. It is fine to squat leaned over, and that is a "leaned over" or dare I say it "LOW BAR" squat (there, everyone else wins and I lose).. However if you get SIGNIFICANTLY MORE leaned over when you come out of the hole, that is a good morning'd squat and I don't think it's good for anyone's goals.

Quick Reply

Latest