The Student Room Group

Not attending lessons at the end of Year 13…

Like the title says, is it worth going to lessons in the last few weeks of school, if you feel that time would be better spent doing some independent study? I feel like some of my lessons are a colossal waste of time (and it’s not just me saying this a lot of people in my classes agree), for example in biology lessons, we’re often told to go to the computer rooms to create ‘revision powerpoints’ even though we haven’t finished learning the content and have yet to be taught an entire module (arguably one of the hardest modules of the course) it’s so frustrating. Also, my first exam is in 10 days and I’d rather be focussing on that instead.

I don’t think my teachers would mind my not attending lessons (they know that I’d actually be working) but my new Head of Year is intent on chasing non attendees as we had a problem with the attendance of some students last year (that and they say that people with low attendance will have to pay for their exams though I've never heard of this actually happening before), and I’d feel bad for missing so many lessons, but on the other hand I don’t want to waste my time and end up not meeting my offer. I spoke to my tutor about this and she said to just 'do what you need to do'. :s-smilie:

Has anyone done this? Did you face any serious disciplinary action despite it being the end of yr 13? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

they actually do make you pay :/ if its not 85% before you finish (24th) you have to pay i reccomend just going lessons i feel the same in same situation aswell but id rather not pay a fk load
Reply 2
I dunno, depends on how you think of it. On one hand you can work well by yourself at home. On the other hand you can work hard at school with a teacher available lest you get stuck
Original post by Craming Revision
they actually do make you pay :/ if its not 85% before you finish (24th) you have to pay i reccomend just going lessons i feel the same in same situation aswell but id rather not pay a fk load

:s-smilie: Has this happened to you before?

Original post by bottled
I dunno, depends on how you think of it. On one hand you can work well by yourself at home. On the other hand you can work hard at school with a teacher available lest you get stuck

I could always go in and ask a teacher/use google/ask tsr if I needed help?
Original post by Ketchup'n'Mustard
:s-smilie: Has this happened to you before?

I could always go in and ask a teacher/use google/ask tsr if I needed help?

yeh made me pay 300 quid last year and i was revising them times
yeh made me pay 300 quid last year and i was revising them times

That sucks :/ What was your attendance percentage? And AS or A2?
That sucks :/ What was your attendance percentage? And AS or A2?

was a2 at time a3 atm, attendence was only 79% aswell its not like it was bloody below 60 cost alot aswell this year im still attending lessons but is sucks cause can do so much more better at home... but tbf i can ask teachers for help so its a bit good even tho the teachers at my college are ****.
was a2 at time a3 atm, attendence was only 79% aswell its not like it was bloody below 60 cost alot aswell this year im still attending lessons but is sucks cause can do so much more better at home... but tbf i can ask teachers for help so its a bit good even tho the teachers at my college are ****.

D'you think they may have made you pay for exams because you were at college? My 6th form is quite small and my HoY knows me quite well so I'm hoping he'll be more lenient :s-smilie: But yeah, can't even ask teachers if I can just go and revise in the school library because it's so noisy.
D'you think they may have made you pay for exams because you were at college? My 6th form is quite small and my HoY knows me quite well so I'm hoping he'll be more lenient :s-smilie: But yeah, can't even ask teachers if I can just go and revise in the school library because it's so noisy.

whats ur first exam btw? i hve 12 lol :/ first in 2 weeks more time they will be leinent.
whats ur first exam btw? i hve 12 lol :/ first in 2 weeks more time they will be leinent.

First on the 13th May then two more the following week.
First on the 13th May then two more the following week.

how many in total?
Reply 11

I don’t think my teachers would mind my not attending lessons (they know that I’d actually be working) but my new Head of Year is intent on chasing non attendees as we had a problem with the attendance of some students last year (that and they say that people with low attendance will have to pay for their exams though I've never heard of this actually happening before), and I’d feel bad for missing so many lessons, but on the other hand I don’t want to waste my time and end up not meeting my offer. I spoke to my tutor about this and she said to just 'do what you need to do'. :s-smilie:

Has anyone done this? Did you face any serious disciplinary action despite it being the end of yr 13? Thanks.

I'm doing the exact same thing. One of my teachers is basically chasing me, but I am just fast for her and she doesn't find me, but I think it's really a valid reason if you're doing the work outside. Do your parents know this? One of the most important things is honesty with your parents so they can back you up if need be. I think that the paying for exams is probably a threat, but you should probably check just in case, because often schools just blow a lot of hot air with pointless threats, but just check if they're serious just in case. And check that they've booked you for the exams thus far.
how many in total?

Ten in total, which is why I'm so worried about the timing issue.

Original post by Mollymod
I'm doing the exact same thing. One of my teachers is basically chasing me, but I am just fast for her and she doesn't find me, but I think it's really a valid reason if you're doing the work outside. Do your parents know this? One of the most important things is honesty with your parents so they can back you up if need be. I think that the paying for exams is probably a threat, but you should probably check just in case, because often schools just blow a lot of hot air with pointless threats, but just check if they're serious just in case. And check that they've booked you for the exams thus far.

It's annoying that we're still doing coursework and tbh that's the only thing worth going in for. Yes my parents know about this but the school can be quite strict when it comes to attendance. I have my final exam timetable if that's what you mean by being booked in for the exams but how would I know if they're being serious? Many people I know are doing the same thing so surely they can't punish everyone especially as we have only two-ish weeks of school left?
Reply 13

It's annoying that we're still doing coursework and tbh that's the only thing worth going in for. Yes my parents know about this but the school can be quite strict when it comes to attendance. I have my final exam timetable if that's what you mean by being booked in for the exams but how would I know if they're being serious? Many people I know are doing the same thing so surely they can't punish everyone especially as we have only two-ish weeks of school left?

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. As long as your parents are on board, then that's good. There's nothing worse than lying to school and lying to your parents. It happened to my friend and it caught up with her. Now, school call her house every time she's even late, she has to register with the head of year, they keep bombarding her with emails, and her parents don't trust her. It's essentially a disaster. I learnt from that and told my mum straight up that I am not going to Biology for these reasons, and that I read the textbook and make notes, which I showed to her anyway. I've finished teaching myself the course and now I'm doing past papers. Yeah the timetable means you've been booked in. See if you can talk to people from last year and find out if they had to pay for their exams. Yeah, I'm not the only one and it's become obvious that I'm skipping one particular lesson every week, and my attendance to begin with was 98.4%, so I'm relatively reliable/trustworthy on that front, although I don't care about my attendance anymore.

Your form tutor seems to have give you somewhat of a go-ahead. Right now you've got to think about what's in your best interest and time is of the essence, you can't get it back. The likelihood that they'll punish everyone is quite low, but see what happens, I think they only said it as a deterrent since the punishment is a bit out of order considering you haven't skipped the entire year
Reply 14
Like the title says, is it worth going to lessons in the last few weeks of school, if you feel that time would be better spent doing some independent study? I feel like some of my lessons are a colossal waste of time (and it’s not just me saying this a lot of people in my classes agree), for example in biology lessons, we’re often told to go to the computer rooms to create ‘revision powerpoints’ even though we haven’t finished learning the content and have yet to be taught an entire module (arguably one of the hardest modules of the course) it’s so frustrating. Also, my first exam is in 10 days and I’d rather be focussing on that instead.

I don’t think my teachers would mind my not attending lessons (they know that I’d actually be working) but my new Head of Year is intent on chasing non attendees as we had a problem with the attendance of some students last year (that and they say that people with low attendance will have to pay for their exams though I've never heard of this actually happening before), and I’d feel bad for missing so many lessons, but on the other hand I don’t want to waste my time and end up not meeting my offer. I spoke to my tutor about this and she said to just 'do what you need to do'.

My attendance was extremely poor the last month of school, similarly to you I just felt I needed to learn AND revise the topics that my school weren't really touching on (either because everyone else already understood or we just didn't have time to re-cap) I did pretty well at A-level because of this as I ended up looking online for extra research on my subjects. I found other school resources, read dissertations etc and this would not have been possible had I been in my lessons making 'powerpoints' so it definitely worked for me.

It's the last few weeks you definitely have to think about stepping it up and doing what's best for you.
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. As long as your parents are on board, then that's good. There's nothing worse than lying to school and lying to your parents. It happened to my friend and it caught up with her. Now, school call her house every time she's even late, she has to register with the head of year, they keep bombarding her with emails, and her parents don't trust her. It's essentially a disaster. I learnt from that and told my mum straight up that I am not going to Biology for these reasons, and that I read the textbook and make notes, which I showed to her anyway. I've finished teaching myself the course and now I'm doing past papers. Yeah the timetable means you've been booked in. See if you can talk to people from last year and find out if they had to pay for their exams. Yeah, I'm not the only one and it's become obvious that I'm skipping one particular lesson every week, and my attendance to begin with was 98.4%, so I'm relatively reliable/trustworthy on that front, although I don't care about my attendance anymore.

Your form tutor seems to have give you somewhat of a go-ahead. Right now you've got to think about what's in your best interest and time is of the essence, you can't get it back. The likelihood that they'll punish everyone is quite low, but see what happens, I think they only said it as a deterrent since the punishment is a bit out of order considering you haven't skipped the entire year

Original post by AyWill
My attendance was extremely poor the last month of school, similarly to you I just felt I needed to learn AND revise the topics that my school weren't really touching on (either because everyone else already understood or we just didn't have time to re-cap) I did pretty well at A-level because of this as I ended up looking online for extra research on my subjects. I found other school resources, read dissertations etc and this would not have been possible had I been in my lessons making 'powerpoints' so it definitely worked for me.

It's the last few weeks you definitely have to think about stepping it up and doing what's best for you.

Yeah the bolded lines are exactly why I was thinking of missing lessons. I'll speak to my tutor again and see what she says. Thanks for the advice guys :smile:

Hi, I'm in exactly the same position, I remember when in Easter & at home, I could get so much work done it was like, 1 day of work at home was equivalent to 4 days of work during term time but how has your attendance been throughout the year because if it's been good, I'm pretty sure it won't make such a massive difference h/w the problem now for me is the teachers not liking it but at the end of the day, I know I study best on my own, not in class, it's frustrating. :confused:
Reply 17
Original post by Fortitude
Hi, I'm in exactly the same position, I remember when in Easter & at home, I could get so much work done it was like, 1 day of work at home was equivalent to 4 days of work during term time but how has your attendance been throughout the year because if it's been good, I'm pretty sure it won't make such a massive difference h/w the problem now for me is the teachers not liking it but at the end of the day, I know I study best on my own, not in class, it's frustrating. :confused:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but my 'game' caught up with me and I had to go see the teacher I had not been turning up to's lessons, she expects me around next week. I feel a bit like pushing it a tad longer though.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, but my 'game' caught up with me and I had to go see the teacher I had not been turning up to's lessons, she expects me around next week. I feel a bit like pushing it a tad longer though.

Hi, maybe you could show her some of your notes/the revision you've done & try to explain that you work better at home & hope she understands :s-smilie:. All the best :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Fortitude
Hi, maybe you could show her some of your notes/the revision you've done & try to explain that you work better at home & hope she understands :s-smilie:. All the best :smile:

Yeah, I went to see her last week along with the advice of other friends and teachers, it was useless. Nothing further will come out of it, and I'll come to a couple more lessons so I can revise and cause no further trouble, but everything's good :smile:

She made a big deal of making things awkward saying that 'Oh look, everyone's here today!' it was quite amusing. She is setting a test soon as well, yay.
I'm quite apathetic at this point really. It's good to just be getting on with everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending