The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Helena...
What could u say for six marks though;/

I think this would be 5 marks-
The switch mode transformer operates at higher frequencies between 50 kHz and 200kHz. They are therefore much smaller and lighter, this makes them useful as chargers and power supplies for mobile phones. They are more efficient because they require less power and don't draw any if switched on without a load. :smile:
Original post by sammann123
They'd split it up into two bullet points,
How does it work?
So uses high freq. etc
Why is it useful?
Saves space etc.

Very much doubt they would just give you a 6 marker on a switch mode, more likely to be 3 or 4.
You could say:
Uses very little power when you have no device connected
It operates at a much higher frequency that a normal transformer
Much lighter and smaller, more practical then
Reply 182
What could i say if i had a six mark question on the motor effect?
Original post by king_revision
Yeah, the questions are always easy guys. Like ffs, on the 6 marker for chem they asked exactly the same as the spec.

Yeah, this year they are clearly not motivated to make Science exams challenging. Hopefully Physics will be good like the other two, but you never know. I personally prefer unit 3 in all three sciences compared to unit 2 by far!
Original post by Whooh1
What could i say if i had a six mark question on the motor effect?

You could say:
1. A current flows through a wire causing a small magnetic field.
2. When this wire is put into a magnets field, the magnetic field interact with each other causing a resultant movement.
3. Although this can only happen if the wire is at 90 degrees to the magnet.
4. Depending on the direction of the current and magnetic field, the wire will be pushed in a certain direction.
5. To change the direction of the movement you can change the direction of the current or the direction of the magnetic field.
6. The force of the movement can be increased by a stronger magnetic field or increasing the current.

This would be if they asked for the basic principals of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by bbadonde2
You could say:
1. A current flows through a wire causing a small magnetic field.
2. When this wire is put into a magnets field, the magnetic field interact with each other causing a resultant movement.
3. Although this can only happen if the wire is at 90 degrees to the magnet.
4. Depending on the direction of the current and magnetic field, the wire will be pushed in a certain direction.
5. To change the direction of the movement you can change the direction of the current or the direction of the magnetic field.
6. The force of the movement can be increased by a stronger magnetic field or increasing the current.

This would be if they asked for the basic principals of it.

Reply 186
How do you explain the ultrasound how a pulse can be used to detect flaws or changes of density in materials? For 6marks
Reply 187
Original post by Helena...
What could u say for six marks though;/

- operates at frequency 50,000hz & 200,000hz.
- light than transformers
- smaller than transformers
- uses very little enegry when theres no device connected across its output terminal.
- The points mentioned above make it useful in mobile phone chargers

feel free to add anymore points :smile:
Can anyone explain transformers to me in REALLY simple terms? Have no idea what they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 189
Original post by Whooh1
How do you explain the ultrasound how a pulse can be used to detect flaws or changes of density in materials? For 6marks

The transducer is a device which detects ultrasound waves.
Each pulse from the transducer is partially reflected from the different tissue boundaries in its path. This creates a sequence of reflected pulses from the different boundaries on the monitor, as they arrive back at different times. The transducer is moved across the surface of the body and the pulses are detected by the transducer.
The detected pulses are used to build up an image on the screen of the internal tissue boundaries in the body.

Feel free to add to it, :smile:
Reply 190
Original post by Whooh1

I have:
ultrasounds are partially relected at a boundary between two media. A oscillope trace can be used to find boundaries. You know the seconds per division of the oscilloscope so you can work out the time taken. When the wave is reflected of a boundary a pulse is shown on the oscilloscope.
A shorter pulse could indicate a break because a gap would only allow some of the wave to pass through. To measure the speed you can work out from the time and distance.
Distance = speed x time
Reply 191
Original post by Fabz_x
The transducer is a device which detects ultrasound waves.
Each pulse from the transducer is partially reflected from the different tissue boundaries in its path. This creates a sequence of reflected pulses from the different boundaries on the monitor, as they arrive back at different times. The transducer is moved across the surface of the body and the pulses are detected by the transducer.
The detected pulses are used to build up an image on the screen of the internal tissue boundaries in the body.

Feel free to add to it, :smile:

Thanks
Reply 192
Original post by ThatGirlx
Can anyone explain transformers to me in REALLY simple terms? Have no idea what they are

Posted from TSR Mobile

A transformer basically is an electrical device which is used to change the size of the alternating PD as the energy which comes in from the national grid comes at a very high voltage of 132 000V, this is good because the higher the grid voltage the greater the efficiency. If the Voltage of the national grid was lower it would need more current and more heat would be wasted into the surroundings. however this high voltage is dangerous to use in the home.
So there are two types of transformers and they both have different jobs.
Step up transformers and Step down transformers.

A transformer contains two coils of insulated wire.
The primary and The secondary.
The primary is connected to the AC supply, so when a current flows through the primary an alternating PD is induced in the secondary coil.
As an alternating current passes through the primary coil it produces an alternating magnetic field. The magnetic field changes and THIS is what creates an alternating potential difference between the terminals of the secondary coil.
Step down transformers reduce the PD to 230volts to use at homes and makes the PD across the secondary coil less than the PD across the primary. here the secondary has fewer turns than in primary coil.

Sorry.. if this all seems jibberish, you need to read the pages to understand it :smile:
Reply 194
The Equations sheet - for anyone who wanted to take a look
Original post by bbadonde2
Very much doubt they would just give you a 6 marker on a switch mode, more likely to be 3 or 4.
You could say:
Uses very little power when you have no device connected
It operates at a much higher frequency that a normal transformer
Much lighter and smaller, more practical then

No I agree, probably a 3 or 4 towards the end of the paper, I just suggested 6, but yeah it'll probably be a three or four.
Reply 196
Original post by SH0405
s=v×t
(s = distance [metres, m], v = speed [metres per second, m/s], t = time [seconds, s])

refractive index = sin i/sin r
(i = angle of incidence [degrees], r = angle of refraction [degrees])

magnification = image height [metres/centimetres, m/cm]/object height[metres/centimetres, m/cm]

P = 1f
(P = power [Dioptres, D], f = focal length [centimetres, cm])

refractive index = 1/sin c [HT only]
(c = critical angle [degrees])

T = 1f
(T = periodic time, f = frequency [Herz, Hz])

M=F×d
(M = moment of the force [Newton-metres, Nm], F = force [Newtons, N],
d = perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot [metres, m])

P = AF
(P = pressure [Pascals, Pa], F = force [Newtons, N], A = cross-sectional area [Metres, m^2])

Vp/Vs = Np/Ns
(Vp = potential difference across the primary coil, Vs = potential difference across the secondary coil, Np = number of turns on the primary coil, Ns = number of turns on the secondary coil)

Vp × lp =Vs × ls
(Vp = potential difference across the primary coil, Ip = current in the primary coil, Vs = potential difference across the secondary coil, Is = current in the secondary coil)

FOR TWO ABOVE;
Potential Difference (V) [volts, V]

FOR ONE ABOVE;
Current (I) [amperes {a.k.a. amps}, A]

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

we get all this in the exam?... RIGHT?!
Can someone do this ultrasound question? So I can see if you get the same thing
5 (b)The diagram shows how a very high frequency sound wave can be used to check forinternal cracks in a large steel bolt. The oscilloscope trace shows that the bolt doeshave an internal crack.

Screen Shot 2013-05-22 at 12.30.53.png

5 (b) (i)

Explain what happens to produce pulse A and pulse B.
............................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................
(2 marks)
Use the information in the diagram and the equation in the box to calculate the distancefrom the head of the bolt to the internal crack.
Speed of sound through steel = 6000m/s
Show clearly how you work out your answer...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

..........................................................................................................................................
(3 marks)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ali_d123
we get all this in the exam?... RIGHT?!

Yep, you get an equation sheet with all that on
Reply 199
Does anyone know the disadvantages of using Ultrasound ?

Latest

Trending

Trending