The Student Room Group

Putting down my higher offer as my insurance choice

Hi guys, basically I have been debating between two universities for my first choice. I have decided to put Hull down as my first choice which is my lower offer and as it is unlikely that I will miss my offer as it is relatively low and less than my predicted grades, I am unsure whether to put an insurance choice down. The second university UEA I have been debating on for a while as I really liked the uni but applied to it very late and so was unable to attend an applicant day to get a real feel for the university and detailed information about the course rather than just the campus tour I previously attended. It also has high grades that I feel I will be unlikely to achieve. However, I don't really want to reject the uni. Am I allowed to put UEA down as my insurance choice despite the fact its my higher offer? is essentially the question I am asking :smile: Sorry for the rambling message, revision is getting to my head and so is making my decision! Thanks guys :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by kat95
Hi guys, basically I have been debating between two universities for my first choice. I have decided to put Hull down as my first choice which is my lower offer and as it is unlikely that I will miss my offer as it is relatively low and less than my predicted grades, I am unsure whether to put an insurance choice down. The second university UEA I have been debating on for a while as I really liked the uni but applied to it very late and so was unable to attend an applicant day to get a real feel for the university and detailed information about the course rather than just the campus tour I previously attended. It also has high grades that I feel I will be unlikely to achieve. However, I don't really want to reject the uni as I feel that depending on my results I may actually want to go to UEA. Am I allowed to put UEA down as my insurance choice despite the fact its my higher offer? is essentially the question I am asking :smile: Sorry for the rambling message, revision is getting to my head and so is making my decision! Thanks guys :smile:

You can put it down if you like, but once you meet the conditions for your firm offer, your insurance offer disappears. You don't have the option to pick and choose. UEA won't be open to you once you have been confirmed by Hull.
Reply 2
Yeah that's what I thought, I just wasn't completely sure. Thank you though :smile: I think I'm just going to go without an insurance.
Reply 3
Original post by kat95
Hi guys, basically I have been debating between two universities for my first choice. I have decided to put Hull down as my first choice which is my lower offer and as it is unlikely that I will miss my offer as it is relatively low and less than my predicted grades, I am unsure whether to put an insurance choice down. The second university UEA I have been debating on for a while as I really liked the uni but applied to it very late and so was unable to attend an applicant day to get a real feel for the university and detailed information about the course rather than just the campus tour I previously attended. It also has high grades that I feel I will be unlikely to achieve. However, I don't really want to reject the uni. Am I allowed to put UEA down as my insurance choice despite the fact its my higher offer? is essentially the question I am asking :smile: Sorry for the rambling message, revision is getting to my head and so is making my decision! Thanks guys :smile:
If you would rather go to UEA than Hull, put UEA as your firm and Hull as your insurance. Don't decide on the basis of thinking that you won't meet UEA's offer - you'd be pretty upset if you'd turned them down and then find in the summer that you did meet their offer. Even if you didn't, there's a chance they'd take you anyway, so it's worth the risk.

If you aren't sure, still do that (ie firm UEA and insurance Hull) and then go and visit UEA ASAP. If you then decide you'd rather go to Hull after all, see Changing your Mind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Lots of good advice about making Firm/Insurance choices (including 'higher offer' as Insurance etc) here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices

Remember, you dont have to go to Uni this year. If you only choose a Firm and you miss that, you can retake/reapply next year either to that Uni or to others. It isnt 'this year or never'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending