The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by edchem
What did you do on your application that got you an offer? I didn't get one and I think its either cause of poor alevels with mitigations (hospital) or poor answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of answers, they don't want to hear about you overcoming things like your driving test or exams (although I know you did have mitigating circumstances it's probably best to still use another example)

They also like to make sure you have a really good knowledge of the company so that answer has to be really thorough. If you decide to apply again I would be happy to look over your answers.
Reply 21
Original post by WhiteTea
I would be happy to look over your answers.

Would you do the same for me? :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by jeffercake
Would you do the same for me? :biggrin:

Of course! Anyone :smile:
Reply 23
Of course! Anyone :smile:

Awesome. Did you have someone from Teach First ring you up and help you answer the questions properly? What sort of advice did they give? I have some situations that I'm not sure whether they fit the question or not, will they advise me on that?
Reply 24
In terms of answers, they don't want to hear about you overcoming things like your driving test or exams (although I know you did have mitigating circumstances it's probably best to still use another example)

They also like to make sure you have a really good knowledge of the company so that answer has to be really thorough. If you decide to apply again I would be happy to look over your answers.

Thanks, I might send you a copy of the questions I sent this year round and maybe you could give some advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by edchem
Thanks, I might send you a copy of the questions I sent this year round and maybe you could give some advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I'd be more than happy to have a look. PM me if you want and I can give you my email
Reply 26
Awesome. Did you have someone from Teach First ring you up and help you answer the questions properly? What sort of advice did they give? I have some situations that I'm not sure whether they fit the question or not, will they advise me on that?

They didn't actually because I had chatted to them quite a lot at uni and I knew my uni recruiter so could just informally talk to them when I wanted.

I'm pretty sure they will advise on whether or not they are suitable. Generally most things are suitable if they're not just academic/things everyone has to do like exams.

Also, use the STAR technique. Situation, Task, Action and Result and structure all your questions that way, they like that! Put most emphasis on your actions.
SKA done (nervous it isn't good enough though), QTS skills tests booked for June 17th after my uni exams are finished, reference hopefully done.

Phew!
Reply 28
Original post by alexmagpie
SKA done (nervous it isn't good enough though), QTS skills tests booked for June 17th after my uni exams are finished, reference hopefully done.

Phew!

Same here! (though booked for a different date) How are you finding the practice questions?
Original post by CinnamonC
Same here! (though booked for a different date) How are you finding the practice questions?

I haven't actually tried any yet, I have lots of uni exams at the moment! How are they for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30

Phew!

If your ska isn't good enough I know people that have had theirs sent back to edit and essentially make better.

Good luck for qts. For the Maths if you struggle with it the first 16 or so questions are quite tight timing. English you just need to know basic grammar.
I found English really hard at gcse and only did the four practice qts tests and passed. So don't worry!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I haven't actually tried any yet, I have lots of uni exams at the moment! How are they for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I'm finding the Maths ones a real struggle, but the English ones are fine (which I suppose they should be, as I'll be teaching English!)
I know what you mean about time constraints, I'm working full time at the moment and so am out of the house between 7am and 8pm.....not helpful for revising Maths, which I've always been terrible at anyway....when have you booked yours for?
Reply 32
Hi everyone! I am joining Teach First in 2014 for Primary (I already have a place because I applied deferred this year) but am able to help if anyone needs any on the assessment centre etc. and how it was.

What was the application form like? I know everyone says its all on the competencies but I'm getting a bit nervous about what kinda stuff. Do I have to have an example of every competency for the form? I'm just hoping my competencies are good enough cos I'm not quite there grade wise, im like a high 2:2 after my dismal exams in january (I do have mitigating circumstances with the uni and plan on fully explaining it on the form).

I'm hoping to also teach primary since I'm currently doing some mentoring with a children's charity and getting some school expereince and I'm *pretty* sure that that's what I want to do :rolleyes:

Also, how personal can the application form get? I went to my uni career service to talk over it (I'm still waiting for my recruiter to get back to me about meeting) and we went over the competencies etc and for resilience, she mentioned my coping of a bereavement, would be a good example of being resilient but I don't want it to be overly personal?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Hi everyone!
Applications for Teach First 2014 open in less than four weeks so I thought having our own separate thread away from this year's cohort would be a good idea!

I have two exams to get through before I apply, but I'm hoping to get my application opened and most of it filled in asap.

I have plenty of school experience, but I am worried about the question about leadership skills and a role where I had responsibility or led a team. I'm going to struggle for that one. I hear you get a phone call after you open your application and someone from Teach First will help you out with it and give you some guidance.

I also need to stay close to home because I have a family, so I will be putting down Yorkshire (preferably Doncaster) and adding my circumstances. Crossing my fingers that if I get in, then I get somewhere close so we don't have to move.

If I don't get in, I will be applying for a PGCE :smile:

Anyway, introduce yourself if you're thinking about applying!

Justine x

I thank you for giving me another tool of procrastination during exams! Despite having 3 exams to get through, I can't help but think that the application date is drawing nearer and nearer.
I'm the opposite of you, I have quite a lot of examples of leadership and I have no idea which one i should be using! Still waiting for my recruiter to get back to me aswell, I was hoping to speak to her as to whether the examples are suitable!
Do you have a preference over primary or secondary?
Seonaid :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by fml
What was the application form like? I know everyone says its all on the competencies but I'm getting a bit nervous about what kinda stuff. Do I have to have an example of every competency for the form? I'm just hoping my competencies are good enough cos I'm not quite there grade wise, im like a high 2:2 after my dismal exams in january (I do have mitigating circumstances with the uni and plan on fully explaining it on the form).

I'm hoping to also teach primary since I'm currently doing some mentoring with a children's charity and getting some school expereince and I'm *pretty* sure that that's what I want to do :rolleyes:

Also, how personal can the application form get? I went to my uni career service to talk over it (I'm still waiting for my recruiter to get back to me about meeting) and we went over the competencies etc and for resilience, she mentioned my coping of a bereavement, would be a good example of being resilient but I don't want it to be overly personal?

If you want I can send you a set of the quetsions from last year.

You can put anything you like in teh application form as long as it shows your competencies. They didn't ask all the competencies in the application form but you need to have examples for them.

If you're not sure maybe try and get some work experience in a primary because I know some people who have tried it and decided it wasn't for them.

Are you still predicted a 2:1? Or are you going to come out with a 2:2?
Reply 35
If you want I can send you a set of the quetsions from last year.

You can put anything you like in teh application form as long as it shows your competencies. They didn't ask all the competencies in the application form but you need to have examples for them.

If you're not sure maybe try and get some work experience in a primary because I know some people who have tried it and decided it wasn't for them.

Are you still predicted a 2:1? Or are you going to come out with a 2:2?

Yeah that would be great, I'd love just to get an idea of what they were asked so i could mentally prepare myself.

I've already been mentoring in a primary school for the last year so I know I really enjoy working with primary kids, but I have some school experience lined up the week after my exams end to see if I'd enjoy working with them in a classroom experience.

I think grade wise, I'm currently at a 58 (not having done my summer exams) but there has been a rise in my assignments this semester compared to last semester so they would be able to see a progression. In addition, I have got mitigating circumstances with my department (unfortunately passing your exams pitifully means no retakes :frown: ) so when it comes to graduating, they'll review my case again. When i did speak to the recruiter she said that the application team do look at any extenuating circumstances as well so I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by fml
I thank you for giving me another tool of procrastination during exams! Despite having 3 exams to get through, I can't help but think that the application date is drawing nearer and nearer.
I'm the opposite of you, I have quite a lot of examples of leadership and I have no idea which one i should be using! Still waiting for my recruiter to get back to me aswell, I was hoping to speak to her as to whether the examples are suitable!
Do you have a preference over primary or secondary?
Seonaid :smile:

Haha, glad I could be of service :wink:
I have one exam left, thank goodness, this Wednesday, then I concentrate on this!

I'm a mature student, and I've been a stay at home mum (apart from uni) for nearly 11 years, so much of my work experience is from 11+ years ago. It does state on the website that they want recent examples where possible. I'm hoping when I get the phone call that they can help me pick something out from recent school experience, or my role as fundraiser at university recently.
I want to teach secondary English, you?

Also, re using a bereavement to answer a question, I don't think I could do that. My dad died last November and I felt like crap having to put in mitigating circumstances for my Jan exams, as if I was using his death to excuse my grades or something, I'd feel terrible using it on an application form. I think that was disgusting horrible advice from your careers person. :frown:
Reply 37
Haha, glad I could be of service :wink:
I have one exam left, thank goodness, this Wednesday, then I concentrate on this!

I'm a mature student, and I've been a stay at home mum (apart from uni) for nearly 11 years, so much of my work experience is from 11+ years ago. It does state on the website that they want recent examples where possible. I'm hoping when I get the phone call that they can help me pick something out from recent school experience, or my role as fundraiser at university recently.
I want to teach secondary English, you?

Also, re using a bereavement to answer a question, I don't think I could do that. My dad died last November and I felt like crap having to put in mitigating circumstances for my Jan exams, as if I was using his death to excuse my grades or something, I'd feel terrible using it on an application form. I think that was disgusting horrible advice from your careers person. :frown:

Lucky you, I have 3 in a space of a week but next week it should all be over for me :biggrin:
I'm hoping to get into primary because I've been doing a mentoring project with primary and some tutoring with secondary students as well. And I've enjoyed the primary stuff a lot more.

I pretty much had the same thing happen to me as well but I do think mitigating circumstances are useful especially as a way of letting the department know (and it really affect my grades) but I hardly want to make a big deal out of it and wondered what other people thought as well. This is why it would be helpful if my recruiter replied so I'd at least know!
Reply 38
Original post by fml
Lucky you, I have 3 in a space of a week but next week it should all be over for me :biggrin:
I'm hoping to get into primary because I've been doing a mentoring project with primary and some tutoring with secondary students as well. And I've enjoyed the primary stuff a lot more.

I pretty much had the same thing happen to me as well but I do think mitigating circumstances are useful especially as a way of letting the department know (and it really affect my grades) but I hardly want to make a big deal out of it and wondered what other people thought as well. This is why it would be helpful if my recruiter replied so I'd at least know!

Good luck with them all, I don't envy you!
I did some volunteering at my kids' primary school, because initially I wanted to get into primary teaching, but then I did some observations in a secondary and I definitely prefer it!
Yeh, I'm glad I told uni what was happening, I mean I missed the rest of the semester, I couldn't go in, therefore it was bound to affect my grades. I just feel bad, saying kind of 'my grades are bad, but I have a great excuse...!'. I just feel bad about the whole thing :frown:

I don't know, perhaps it would be something to mention briefly at interview, if we make it that far, just to clarify that although we had a hard time and missed lots of uni, we still did well. I'll probably just cry if I did that tho!!
Let me know what your recruiter says!
Reply 39
I'm opening an application for Teach First, but I'm just a little bit concerned, because I don't really know what option to choose from, I do a psychology degree so it isn't really related to anything on there except maybe Science (it is a science btw) :tongue:.

Latest

Trending

Trending