The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Start a blog about your adventures trying to exchange it for something. I think www.halfa20poundnote.blogspot.com is available.
Reply 2
seriously. how can i get £20 back? will a bank accept my 1/2?
Reply 3
shinytoy
can i give in my half a not to a bank and get a whole one?

No, because that would be stupid.
Reply 4
if you have both halfs then yes, they will exchange it for one thats all together, but until you have the other half there is nothing you can do, except maybe complain now, so if they find the other half they know it's urs.
Reply 5
If it's literally in half I'm not sure what you can do but if the Queen's head is still full, it's fine. You can just change it.
Reply 6
Go and find a different half £20 note and stick them together?
Reply 7
bank wont be open till tues anyway will it? with bank hols and all?
Reply 8
You need over 50% of the note to have it exchanged I think. But since the bank wont be open till tuesday anyway, shouldn't be a problem?
Reply 9
or sell it to a random stupid kid for £9
Reply 10
buy something worth ten pounds? :p:
Reply 11
n u c l e a r b d h
If it's literally in half I'm not sure what you can do but if the Queen's head is still full, it's fine. You can just change it.

yes the queens head is full and so is the watermark part. grr are you sure i 'll get it back? will they have to post it off?
Reply 12
shinytoy
yes the queens head is full and so is the watermark part. grr are you sure i 'll get it back? will they have to post it off?

You can take it to your bank or any post office and they should change it for you straight away. They'll deal with the ripped note. :smile:
Reply 13
1/2 £20 = £10.

Surely it equals £10? :P
With a note that seriously damaged I'm not sure just any bank will change it. If you have over 50% you should be able to get the money back from the Bank of England: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/damaged_banknotes.htm
Reply 15
Was it an ATM attached to a bank? Why not pop in there on Tuesday and explain. Bit late, but not much you can do meantime I imagine.
They should change it for you. It's not your fault it got ripped. I guess the only problem is if someone else gets the other half and tries to do the same thing. But that's not your fault. If the ATM was attached to a bank you have every right to go in and argue with them until they give you £20. As you said it's your uni one, if it's not attached to a bank then you could argue with your uni about it if the bank won't sort it for you. But my mum once dyed a £20 note black because it was in the pocket of my dad's jeans when she dyed them, and the bank changed it even though it was her fault. You should be able to get it back.
Reply 17
gCarroll thinks this sounds like a scam.
Reply 18
easy money, rip a note in half, go to bank, "£20 please", rip note, repeat.

I'm pretty sure you need to have both bits, or at least the bit with the metallic strip.
Reply 19
Zakatu
easy money, rip a note in half, go to bank, "£20 please", rip note, repeat.

I'm pretty sure you need to have both bits, or at least the bit with the metallic strip.

hahaha I like it :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending