The Student Room Group

GCSE - English language features help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evvve
Hi i am preparing myself for english GCSE. I finished my education in different country so i am really confused and any help wil be much appreciate. Could somoene please tell me if i will have question to write an article how its supouse to look like. If I need to compare to texts do i write this like an essay or in bullet points? thank Youvery much

No no -- never bullet points unless you are doing it just for your notes. Your comparative essay should be a continuous piece of prose and alternating from idea or work to the other. This can be really tricky if you don't have much practice, and the best we can do here is give hints, nudges and suggestions.

For personal help go here, which is what I have been using and my sister doing A-levels. I think they help GCSE and MYP students too - at least they did with my sister who just completed her GCSE with their help.
It's always written as an essay
What is structured meaning
It could mean that meaning is in the structure of a text (like a play or poem - the way the poem, for instance, is presented on the page or its rhythm is structure which is part of meaning). But you'll have to give a little more context for a fuller answer. The phrase can mean more than one thing. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
thank u soo much for posting the language devices my test is tomorrow and that has helped me alot
there is a spelling mistake in irony 2 words a repeated what
Reply 26
Hello , I am doing english language GCSE and my coursework is not upto scratch so i have to get an high mark in exam which is worrying for me because my exam is in two weeks.
OK, so how can we help? We can give hints and basic advice (and encouragement) on small things.
Reply 28
Yes that would be great
OK -- well, work hard and do your best...

Having said that...Generic advice (no matter how good it sounds) is mostly useless.. Vapidly good. Vapid. Like what you got here in the first sentence. It takes no account of who you are and where you are academically.

If you want to advance and "get a good grade" then any advice must be grounded on what you are actually doing and can do... On, for example, your assignments which someone can look at and give precise feedback. I got that from from my tutor (in English) and that's where I learnt the difference between "feeling good" (with the reassurance and positive feedback, mostly classmates and online) and "doing well" (not my words, but my online English A tutor's words -- getting real precise feedback, working hard and improving areas of weakness). Sounds like you want and need the second.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Original post by Rickz14
Yes that would be great

OK -- well, work hard and do your best...

Having said that...Generic advice (no matter how good it sounds) is mostly useless.. Vapid. Like what you got here in the first sentence. It takes no account of who you are and where you are academically.

If you want to advance and "get a good grade" then any advice must be grounded on what you are actually doing and can do... On, for example, your assignments which someone can look at and give precise feedback. I got that from from my tutor (in English) and that's where I learnt the difference between "feeling good" (with the reassurance and positive feedback, mostly classmates and online) and "doing well" (not my words, but my online English A tutor's words -- getting real precise feedback, working hard and improving areas of weakness). Sounds like you want and need the second.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
I need help with my english assessment. I'm to find supposed to find lalanguage features in my quote. But l can't find any. Please help me.
Reply 32
anyone who can help me about use of language for effect creation? i really need to know this topic badly
(edited 8 years ago)
stfu
STFU
:colone::angry::colondollar::u:
Reply 36
I have to find a language technique in the following sentence: "i 'feel' something went wrong".
Can you please help.

Rose
Original post by samuel12
I'm doing the language paper in a few weeks and was wondering how and what you could say about how language features. E.g. in January the question "compare the ways in which language is used for effect in the two texts" - this was my weakest question as the only thing I thing I can think of to say is "it makes it stick in your head and want you to read on" i have no trouble finding the language features i just don't know how it is effects the reader - or I don't know how to put it on the paper anyway. By the way i got a B1 on this question...-_-

Can someone please help me out and tell me what sort of things language does to the reader, Thanks.

haii sam I need help too do you know how to do the gcse English exam paper on articles and extract where you have question1,2,3,4,5, and 6 theyre so hard and how do you write on articles and then compare 2 texts/sorces and also how to write an a*letter like and question 6 :frown:(( please help me ahaaahaa
Original post by Ryan Playz Gamez
stfu

lool who you sayin that to like :')
Original post by Shadesofgrey
No no -- never bullet points unless you are doing it just for your notes. Your comparative essay should be a continuous piece of prose and alternating from idea or work to the other. This can be really tricky if you don't have much practice, and the best we can do here is give hints, nudges and suggestions.

For personal help go here, which is what I have been using and my sister doing A-levels. I think they help GCSE and MYP students too - at least they did with my sister who just completed her GCSE with their help.

heyy can you help me too, I need help on English language and literature asap :smile:) xxxxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending