The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Please don't approach him directly to ask him for his sexual orientation, because if he's straight, he would undergo severe traumatic depression and avoid you for as long as he can remember this incident. You're much better asking around (common friends, for example, but this might lead to the same result); stalking him probably isn't wise either.
They walk with a hobble.
Reply 22
johnnysgirl

pride in appearence
keen interest in fashion
sensitive/ in touch with feelings/intelligent

Please. Don't even try to establish a link between intelligence and sexual deviance. :rolleyes:
Wear pink?
Reply 24
johnnysgirl
True, you cannot generalize. I have several gay, lesbian and bi friends though and I go to gay clubs/ pubs quite a bit too, and I think

body language
effeminate gestures
hugs
pride in appearence
keen interest in fashion
sensitive/ in touch with feelings/intelligent
close to/ appreciative of women
sometimes crude/ smutty in a playful way

are all things that come to mind when I think of my gay friends, past and present. I don't intend to generalize or stereotype; that is just true at least for my mates. Hope it helps.

I know someone like that - he's straight as a flagpole.
Reply 25
Original post by Fluent &#953
Wear pink?

Again lots of straight guys wear pink shirts (and chinos!!!), which I think is very shweeet.
Yeah but they're all gay really.
Reply 27
No they're not. Hmpf. I like pink shirts and chinos.
Reply 28
Unless the person wears a big "I am gay" sign I do not think that you can always tell if someone is gay. The reason being is that I know a couple of gay men who you would not think were gay, since they are very mascunline, which goes agaisnt the "stereotypical" values of being gay that means one is very effeminiate. In saying this I feel that one can make assertions with some gay men, since they may act very "camp" and "effeminate," but in saying this you cannot always assume that as one is acting "camp" and "effeminate" then they are ultimately gay, since they may just be in touch with their emotions and so forth.

Let us know what you decide to do and best of luck :smile:
minimo
No they're not. Hmpf. I like pink shirts and chinos.

Gayo!
Reply 30
Oh shut yer face. You always struck me as rather effeminate :p:
Reply 31
MagikGuy
Unless the person wears a big "I am gay" sign I do not think that you can always tell if someone is gay.
Now that would make it so much easier :biggrin:
minimo
Oh shut yer face. You always struck me as rather effeminate :p:

Why thank you :smile:
Reply 33
Why thank you :smile:

Effeminate is nice :smile:
I think so. It doesn't get the girls but I guess you can't have everything.
Reply 35
I think so. It doesn't get the girls but I guess you can't have everything.
You could always try and get a guy :wink: :p: Join the LGBTsoc instead of just spamming there :biggrin:
I don't like guy's they're too 'boysterous [sic]'.
i have a gay friend.. she's inclined to women and before my other firned told me she was bi i would never have guessed.. she doens tact any different than my staright friend except she likes girls lol;-)
so i'd agree that there really isnt a "way to be" which tells ppl ur gay..

just ask around if he ahs a girlfriend n say u saw him with soemgirl or something.. then u shold have a rough idea and i hope for the best.. good luck with that;-)
Reply 38
I don't like guy's they're too 'boysterous [sic]'.
Fair enough. All the more for me, then :p:
Reply 39
Unless someone is basically just really camp and thus blatantly gay, it can be very difficult to tell.

As a gay man I have learnt to observe quite closely and can now often tell that someone is gay even though they may not appear so to a straight person. Look closely at someone's body language, the way they express themselves. I'm gay but I don't have a high pitched, camp voice, but people have often said to me that they could only tell once they actually got talking to me ie so I appear gay in the way I express myself.

Often you can ascertain whether someone is gay by conversation topics as well, but then don't generalise too much and assume that just because someone is gay they will automatically have a love for fashion or whatever.

Also you can't really say that the likelihood of someone being gay is increased by an apparent 'good' fashion sense; because a lot of men are very trendy and like to be well groomed. Often it is the way that people put clothes together, rather than items of clothing themselves, which give it away.

Latest

Trending

Trending