The Student Room Group

On a break.

My girlfriend and I are on a break for numerous reasons.
Primarily due to exams. We spent far too much time together and saw it was starting to effect out studies.

Under the break we've agreed to have no contact with one another and that it last until we finish our exams (late June)

It's only been 4 days but I just can't stop the urge and crave to talk to her.
I don't want to, because I know that if I do, the break idea will probably fall apart.

Any advice?

Its hard because although I want to 'forget' about her for now, to focus on my revision and studies. I do want to get back with her, and so I don't want to do anything drastic.
Okay, not to sound mean, but why the hell you on a break? If its to focus more on your studies then just tell her, im sure she feels the same why, there is no reason to pause a relationship just so you can focus on your relationship! I mean are you going to pause your friends and family too? Are you gong to say to your best friend that your not friends no more untill after exams? NO. All it is doing is making you think about her and distracting you from your studies, i mean wouldn't it be better revising knowing that she is only a text away rather than knowing you can't contact her at all?

My advice would be to just spend an hour or so, discussing it with her and making sure you get back together, then once your together, don't completely focus on your revision, every no and again when you have a break, text her or have a quick call, at least then your mind will be set on revising not the fact that your on a break. Also once your exams season is over, discuss these other reasons you talked about, maybe problems you have in the relationship. As having a break is extremely going to distance you from one and other as it just shows that your no for each other, so you need to prove it wrong. Now text her and take my advice, otherwise there could be consequences.

Again no to sound mean, it's just that taking a break is an EXTREMELY silly thing to do, i mean have you never watched friends?
Your exams are more important. Seriously. You must exercise restraint! Stay strong and then the reward of seeing her again will be all the more sweeter.
Theres no need to go to the extreems of going on a break just for your exams... if you were together in the future you wouldnt put the relationship on hold if you got a job? its a about balance and understanding.

If you really love one another, then you can work something out and still be together and talk, but just make time for your studies too.

for example you can send the odd text in the day, or talk on the phone for a bit and meet up at the weekend for an hour or two... Things can be less frequent but sweeter...

Its not a relationship if you just go on a break when another priority arises. Its about working through things together and supporting each other...

The break wont work becuase you will still be thinking about her and the whole idea of the break will stress you out even more, so just sit down and sort things through with her
Reply 4
Original post by BradleyAllison
Okay, not to sound mean, but why the hell you on a break? If its to focus more on your studies then just tell her, im sure she feels the same why, there is no reason to pause a relationship just so you can focus on your relationship! I mean are you going to pause your friends and family too? Are you gong to say to your best friend that your not friends no more untill after exams? NO. All it is doing is making you think about her and distracting you from your studies, i mean wouldn't it be better revising knowing that she is only a text away rather than knowing you can't contact her at all?

My advice would be to just spend an hour or so, discussing it with her and making sure you get back together, then once your together, don't completely focus on your revision, every no and again when you have a break, text her or have a quick call, at least then your mind will be set on revising not the fact that your on a break. Also once your exams season is over, discuss these other reasons you talked about, maybe problems you have in the relationship. As having a break is extremely going to distance you from one and other as it just shows that your no for each other, so you need to prove it wrong. Now text her and take my advice, otherwise there could be consequences.

Again no to sound mean, it's just that taking a break is an EXTREMELY silly thing to do, i mean have you never watched friends?

It's great to see a guy with some common sense.
Original post by Alpha510
It's great to see a guy with some common sense.

Hahahah thankyou, i'd hate it if my girlfriend said that she wants to go on a break because of exams :s-smilie:
WE WERE ON A BREAK! Haha, seriously, why not talk to her for a bit every day, and then study for a bit? If you really enjoy talking to her, it would be a really good break from revision :smile:
Reply 7
A break is a hop, skip and a week from a break up. The one who initiates it is the one who wants out. What are you, some horrible job she needs to get away from? You don't need a "break" from a loved one, family member or friend.
Sure when times are busy, the time you're able to spend together will be limited due to revising. But "no contact"? That's just ridiculous. It sounds to me that she wants out, but doesn't have the guts to come out and say it.
Reply 8
I don't think breaks work. So you simply can't talk to each other because you can't balance exams and a relationship? And you're gonna do this for over a month? This doesn't sound good at all.
Reply 9
Slightly drastic completely cutting contact, can you not compromise ( like plan shiz out) ?
You're probably just spending most of your time thinking about trying to not talk to her anyway- which isn't great.

Btw OP what exams are you doing ?
To be honest as others said I think she is being silly going to the extreme of a break, regardless of exams she either wants you or not as a boyfriend, breaks never really work anyway, I personally think it goes towards actually letting someone go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending