The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
:yy:

Yeah I wanna know how it feels getting a nice fat amount into my bank account. Do you get paid weekly or monthly?

Monthly. I think.

I hate the job though. It's like the box factory on the Simpsons :tongue: Hoping a money injection will motivate me. Otherwise I am going to be looking for part time work so I can continue volunteering whilst I look for an actual physics job or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesManc
I need a job, realised psychology was a crap degree choice

That's minor tbh.

Tbh almost every degree is seemingly a crap choice unless you've been to a top 10 university or doing a vocational course that you get work in straight away(e.g. social work, radiography, medicine etc.). The degree does include you in a lot of jobs so it has a lot of benefits

University is all about making the connections, failing that there are always options available if you work hard enough.

Good luck James.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Monthly. I think.

I hate the job though. It's like the box factory on the Simpsons :tongue:

I'm more a fan of weekly pay because it's constant, less likely to be having a time of the month I'm struggling financially when you're constantly being paid. Only happens in temp roles I guess.

Minor, just work through and think of the end goal. :smile:

Ok, you did physics, that's interesting mate. Any idea of what physics sector you're looking to get in? Also do you have any friends who have got into the physics industry? Ask them about what they did, if they know a guy you could have a good contact, do dog work if you have to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
That's minor tbh.

Tbh almost every degree is seemingly a crap choice unless you've been to a top 10 university or doing a vocational course that you get work in straight away(e.g. social work, radiography, medicine etc.). The degree does include you in a lot of jobs so it has a lot of benefits

University is all about making the connections, failing that there are always options available if you work hard enough.

Good luck James.

I'm more a fan of weekly pay because it's constant, less likely to be having a time of the month I'm struggling financially when you're constantly being paid. Only happens in temp roles I guess.

Minor, just work through and think of the end goal. :smile:

Ok, you did physics, that's interesting mate. Any idea of what physics you're in. Also do you have any friends who have got into the physics industry? Ask them about what they did, if they know a guy you could have a good contact, do dog work if you have to.

I did go to a top ten, I could be a psychologist but it's a long struggle (+10 yrs av) and I'm not sure I want to be one anymore. Wish I was on a graduate scheme.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JamesManc
I did go to a top ten, I could be a psychologist but it's a long struggle (+10 yrs av) and I'm not sure I want to be one anymore. Wish I was on a graduate scheme.

What is AV?

Also don't worry about the grad schemes. Try reed and the SMEs, only a small percentage of people actually are in grad schemes, many people are on graduate level jobs. Also recruitment agencies can be a necessary evil. If you're willing to lose a small slice of the pie then get a recruitment consultant to help you out.
Original post by Iamyourfather
If a CV helper is showering you with compliments and suggesting just tiny amendments to a CV which isn't passing HR then they're not doing their jobs. I find Uni advisors far too "nice" to rip you apart which is much more unforgiving in the long run.

Once you accept the CV helper's blunt criticisms, listen to the pasted advice (why the advice seems pasted is understanable - to repeat the basics of a CV to thousands of students must get very tedious) and make the necessary changes, the helper starts to give you more personal advice which will turn your CV from uninspiring one to one employers will double take. Once I decided to listen to everything the helper said my job offers increased exponentially. I owe it to her tbh.

I remember the copy and pasted advise I was given on here pretty much told me to do everything I had already done on my CV anyway; there weren't any criticisms. Although maybe that's because I started uni at a later date so I had already had more experience with applying for jobs and employment than most students. The adviser at Hope actually told me that my layout was too basic and old fashioned. He also told me that the language I used was too formal.
Original post by jam277

Also do you have any friends who have got into the physics industry? Ask them about what they did, if they know a guy you could have a good contact, do dog work if you have to.

There's two people I am keeping in contact with. One got a third and the other hasn't actually finished their degree yet due to mitigating circumstances.

So...no help there :dontknow:
I have an interview tomorrow for a content writer at a digital marketing company. Completely terrified. I currently work in retail and apart from my English degree, I have no real experience. Any tips? And what should I wear? ahhh
Reply 587
Original post by _icecream
I've followed online CV templates for graduates the usual Education at the top including modules relevant to the vacancy I'm applying for , then work experience then references. I don't know how much more I need to do :confused: I applied for around 250 jobs makes me wonder if these jobs are even real ?

Hello,
use this template is better :wink:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
There's two people I am keeping in contact with. One got a third and the other hasn't actually finished their degree yet due to mitigating circumstances.

So...no help there :dontknow:

Yeah that sucks.

Must be someone there who you can talk to. Try keeping in contact with other people and see how they're doing.
Original post by Katiehsocks
I have an interview tomorrow for a content writer at a digital marketing company. Completely terrified. I currently work in retail and apart from my English degree, I have no real experience. Any tips? And what should I wear? ahhh

Don't stress. Just focus on the end goal and what you need to do to get there. Calm down, have a chat, read what the digital marketing's values are, just look at it properly. :smile:
Original post by Katiehsocks

You've got transferable skills. Focus on that.
Original post by elmehri
Hello,
use this template is better :wink:

Thanks I've already had my CV done
Original post by jitterbugs
I went to work in nhs with my physics degree. If you woukd be interested go on jobs.nhs & there are some jobs where you only need a BSc. search for physics & look for associate physics or technologist jobs.

Yep, I'm going to try that again.
Original post by |jenny|
I've just left uni, waiting for my results for my Msci in Chemistry and Physics which i'll get on Wednesday. I've managed to find a graduate job with Kerry foods starting in August which doesn't require a degree classification so not feeling too nervous about the results. I applied for 22 jobs before I got this one, but having been unsuccessful with internships the year before, I'd had plenty of practice of application forms.

The numerical tests I didn't find too bad because of my background in science. Verbal reasoning on the other hand..... Disaster! I think it was fluke everytime I got through

Contradiction, I found you.
Original post by jam277
What is AV?

Also don't worry about the grad schemes. Try reed and the SMEs, only a small percentage of people actually are in grad schemes, many people are on graduate level jobs. Also recruitment agencies can be a necessary evil. If you're willing to lose a small slice of the pie then get a recruitment consultant to help you out.

av = average

Life is hard for psychos.
Back to being jobless.

Got an interview for tomorrow for a recruitment consultancy firm. Wish me luck. I was supposed to go for this interview the previous week but didn't because I was at my temp job and didn't want to miss time off. I thought I'd stay for longer but since I'm getting an interview for a permanent job in the role I actually want to do. I'm happier things went this way. I got a decent bit of money and experience.
Original post by jam277
Back to being jobless.

Got an interview for tomorrow for a recruitment consultancy firm. Wish me luck. I was supposed to go for this interview the previous week but didn't because I was at my temp job and didn't want to miss time off. I thought I'd stay for longer but since I'm getting an interview for a permanent job in the role I actually want to do. I'm happier things went this way. I got a decent bit of money and experience.

What happened?
Original post by Tom_Ford
What happened?

Temp role, so basically everybody was in and they decided to let me go as they had enough cover.

Felt a bit weird the way in which they did it, but after talking to my agency the people gave me a very good review so it wasn't as snakey as I felt at the time. They also said I can go there in the future but I don't want to be a resourcer.
Original post by jam277
Temp role, so basically everybody was in and they decided to let me go as they had enough cover.

Felt a bit weird the way in which they did it, but after talking to my agency the people gave me a very good review so it wasn't as snakey as I felt at the time. They also said I can go there in the future but I don't want to be a resourcer.

Yeah, bit dickish of them really. But meh, graduates are getting a bad deal these. Had a similar sort of experience recently.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Yeah, bit dickish of them really. But meh, graduates are getting a bad deal these. Had a similar sort of experience recently.

Yeah, also they gave me no notice, basically they got rid of me on friday, would have rather them tell me earlier on in the week.

I have an interview tomorrow for a permanent recruitment consultant position(i.e. not mainly admin) that should have been last week but I decided to stay in the role due to my commitments when I could have easily taken time off if I knew they weren't taking me on after this week. I'm guaranteed a job by the end of the week though tbh. Will go temp somewhere else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Same thing happened to me, it will be okay though :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending