The Student Room Group

The Graduate Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyrical_lie
Does anyone really know what a graduate contract manager is?

Are you thinking of leaving Imperial?
Original post by Slowbro93
Are you thinking of leaving Imperial?

Not sure, I love my job and the people. But there's a grad scheme in Thurso....
Original post by jam277
Anybody have good experience temping? Gonna give some a call tomorrow.

Good for some dough but that's it, temping is so unreliable.
Temping/contracting is good for proving what you can do in something very skills related like IT I know someone that makes like 27k in 6 months (average length of contracts) then is able to concentrate on his hobbies while being financially stable as he finds a next contract.
Time to get back on the job hunt then as i'm relocating to Manchester in June.

Not been in this thread for ages.
Original post by sr90
Time to get back on the job hunt then as i'm relocating to Manchester in June.

Not been in this thread for ages.

Manchester should be good :h: Would it be a similar type of role? :smile:
Guys, no trolling, just advice and opinions, please. I left school with bad GCSEs due to depression and bad attendance. That, therefore, resulted in the next four years of my life being a hard time doing a few basic jobs and battling my problems. However, at 21 I went to college and did an Access to HE: Law and Criminology Diploma and went to Birmingham City University. I graduated with a First, got a scholarship to do an LL.M at Warwick and just missed out on a distinction there. However, I now feel that, even though I am now 27, my past is going to prevent me from securing a good career. This is, again, making me feel down and is giving me the feeling that I have wasted my time. Any opinions, guys? Many thanks for reading.
Original post by Philissimo14
Guys, no trolling, just advice and opinions, please. I left school with bad GCSEs due to depression and bad attendance. That, therefore, resulted in the next four years of my life being a hard time doing a few basic jobs and battling my problems. However, at 21 I went to college and did an Access to HE: Law and Criminology Diploma and went to Birmingham City University. I graduated with a First, got a scholarship to do an LL.M at Warwick and just missed out on a distinction there. However, I now feel that, even though I am now 27, my past is going to prevent me from securing a good career. This is, again, making me feel down and is giving me the feeling that I have wasted my time. Any opinions, guys? Many thanks for reading.

Your past shouldn't matter. If you get asked questions about it when applying then you spin it positively saying something like how you were ill for a while but you received treatment and you recovered. However to make the most of your university degrees you need to know what you want to do with them, have as much work experience as possible, and the more relevant the better, and be able to put together good applications.
As we near the one year mark of graduating,any fellow graduates of 2015 still unemployed?
Original post by chosenone93
As we near the one year mark of graduating,any fellow graduates of 2015 still unemployed?

Technically I suppose - I've been given my notice of redundancy and transferred to a six week contract while they train up new lab techs, because they're restructuring the department and I'm apparently overqualified now.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Technically I suppose - I've been given my notice of redundancy and transferred to a six week contract while they train up new lab techs, because they're restructuring the department and I'm apparently overqualified now.

Thanks I feel slightly better,i've resorted to volunteering after 7 months of failed interviews hopefully someone chances me eventually.
Thanks I feel slightly better,i've resorted to volunteering after 7 months of failed interviews hopefully someone chances me eventually.

What industry do you want to work in? Volunteering is a really great idea - even if it benefits you in no other way except giving you structure and focus. Hope things improve for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm technically a 2014 grad but I did a Masters last year so I guess also a 2015 grad looking for work still. Have got better at, but haven't quite mastered interviews yet.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
What industry do you want to work in? Volunteering is a really great idea - even if it benefits you in no other way except giving you structure and focus. Hope things improve for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm hoping to get into project management perhaps within the IT field and yes volunteering certainly gives you a purpose as opposed to sitting at home waiting for interviews.
Original post by jelly1000
I'm technically a 2014 grad but I did a Masters last year so I guess also a 2015 grad looking for work still. Have got better at, but haven't quite mastered interviews yet.

Glad i'm not the only one,interviews can be really tricky even for entry level jobs they ask questions which can only be answered if you have notable work history and some will ask things which catch you totally off guard which have very little to do with the job.Hopefully we get something by july/august won't be nice when summer begins and not having any income to enjoy it.
Be professional, friendly but most important of all not so serious that you would appear to be uncomfortable to work with
Original post by melondew26
Be professional, friendly but most important of all not so serious that you would appear to be uncomfortable to work with

Can be quite hard when some interviewers aren't particularly friendly.Just got another rejection apparently they chose someone with more skills/experience yet it was a bleeding internship, i specifically asked the recruiter before going to the interview if i needed any they said no i just need to show an understanding of the role starting to doubt i'll ever get a paid job.
Can be quite hard when some interviewers aren't particularly friendly.Just got another rejection apparently they chose someone with more skills/experience yet it was a bleeding internship, i specifically asked the recruiter before going to the interview if i needed any they said no i just need to show an understanding of the role starting to doubt i'll ever get a paid job.

They may say they chose someone who had more 'skills and experience' but every new employee needs a degree of training to get settled into the role. It was probably an excuse. What are your people and social skills like? Show off your personality at an interview too, come across as easy going and most of all enjoyable to work with
Couldn't agree more. Took me 11 months after graduating to get a graduate role and this was because I sucked at interviews and didn't realise it (I was never told). Its all about the rapport you build with the interviewer. Social skills are very important as ultimately they are deciding if you as person have the right personality and skills to fit into their team and whether or not they'd like to work with you. If you do this whilst displaying a strong knowledge of the business, as well as the challenges within the business area you're applying to, you're in good shape. You aren't always expected to have experience in the particular field (I certainly had none), after all most grad schemes are training contracts by definition
Sigh... any advice?

I graduated last summer in 2015 and spent up until Christmas unemployed, then I got a graduate role. I got tunnel vision because I was happy just to have a company hire me and let me into a graduate role. I've since then realised I perhaps undersold myself and want something better (not saying I deserve it, but you only live once so may as well try right?)

Most of my friends have got on to great graduate schemes , whether that be GSK, PWC, Bank of England, Civil Service Fast Stream etc and although my role is good, I'm feeling like it's definitely one where I'd stagnate if I stayed in it and not move forward.

I'm now feeling left behind again, like I did when I was unemployed.

I've noticed some graduate schemes say that you have to have graduated within the last two years - but is tihs the case for most?

Sorry if I sound like I'm unappreciative, I am very grateful for my job, but I just don't want to be left behind and end up stuck in a 'meh' job when I could get on a graduate scheme like my friends have with great prospects.
Original post by Historicity
Sigh... any advice?

I graduated last summer in 2015 and spent up until Christmas unemployed, then I got a graduate role. I got tunnel vision because I was happy just to have a company hire me and let me into a graduate role. I've since then realised I perhaps undersold myself and want something better (not saying I deserve it, but you only live once so may as well try right?)

Most of my friends have got on to great graduate schemes , whether that be GSK, PWC, Bank of England, Civil Service Fast Stream etc and although my role is good, I'm feeling like it's definitely one where I'd stagnate if I stayed in it and not move forward.

I'm now feeling left behind again, like I did when I was unemployed.

I've noticed some graduate schemes say that you have to have graduated within the last two years - but is tihs the case for most?

Sorry if I sound like I'm unappreciative, I am very grateful for my job, but I just don't want to be left behind and end up stuck in a 'meh' job when I could get on a graduate scheme like my friends have with great prospects.

Afraid its just a case of looking at the eligiblity criteria. Civil Service don't care when you graduated, I know that, the average age of a successful applicant is 25. Are there not options for you to apply for a more senior role once you have a couple of years experience under your belt with this role you have now, with the company you are with or another?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending