The Student Room Group

University rank is unimportant

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by peter12345
They are both accredited by the relevant engineering institute therefore they both ahve the exact same core material necessary for chartership. No difference apart from there's a higher workload at one purely because they "have an image to maintain". I just told you over and over again that the recruitment team at one of the biggest engineering companies in the world said that they don't care at all. The aim of this wasn't to say you're all wasting your time at top universities which is why I think everyone is going on the defensive, It's to say that there's nothing wrong with attending a lwoer ranked university so long as it's good for your course. You still have every chance of getting the same job as an Imperial grad so long as you work hard and network.

I really doubt that! and ofcourse they would say that, they'd look quite bad if they sad "I'm sorry but we don't accept people from lower ranking Universities"
I did an internship at Caterpillar last year over the summer and all the engineers i met either had a PHD or went a top 5 Engineering school in England.
I don't really understand the accreditation system of the IET, if you directly compare some of the exams that the higher ranking Universities give to there students compared to the lower ranking university students you can clearly see the difference and if University rankings didn't matter a lot of people would just scrap passes and go to an "ok" University. But we all know they do matter.
Person 1: "Hi i went to London Metropolitan university to study Engineering"
Person 2: "Hi i went to Imperial to study Engineering"
Now honestly, tell me which one sounds better!

Original post by eggfriedrice
My teacher used to work for Atkins. He said to me during their employment process, they selected all the "top ranking" applicants and put them in one pile, such as Bristol, oxbridge, imperial etc.
Now I wonder what they did with the other pile :rolleyes:

Probably burnt there CVs or used it on bonfire night :tongue:
Original post by stefl14
Implying that university doesn't matter is a bit ridiculous though and is not a sustainable view. For example, an Cambridge economics graduate typically earns about £40k upon graduation, and some earn quite a bit more. An economics graduate from a non russel group uni will be lucky to earn half that. Facts are facts. I know correlation does not imply causation but the magnitude of the differences speak for themselves. Whether you believe it or not, a lot of the top level jobs are virtually closed if you don't attend a top university and some firms virtually only hire from Oxbridge (very few I admit). Also, on the thing about discrimination against theoretical engineers - I know plenty at Cambridge and none of them have struggled getting a job, be it in engineering or finance.

I never implied that University doesn't matter, what I am saying is that people should stop worrying so much about university rankings. It doesn't determine your life. I refused to go to a university that wasn't in the top 10, but as I said, I now know many people who are doing far better than I am and aren't going to top universities.

I think it is all subjective. This whole debate will throw up people who know different people who could and couldn't get jobs blah blah blah. I think what that shows is that it is very much a diverse world and it is what you make for yourself that matters, as I said before.

Also you have to remember that not every one cares about getting a job at a massive company and getting paid gazillions. It would be nice, but I for one would be happy with a comfortable little job, having a family and doing other things OUTSIDE of work.
Original post by bahjat93

Probably burnt there CVs or used it on bonfire night :tongue:

You think? :wink:
Threads like these make me wish peoples ages were displayed; seems like lots of young people who have never worked before talking about about things they know very little about.
I don't think that not going to a "top" uni will stop you getting good jobs or earning money, and i can see what someone said a while back in the thread on some of the top unis being more theoretical, but I also highly doubt (on the whole) that going to a top uni will stop you getting the job you wanted... i think it is more the person than the location

That engineering company is potentially hiring me as an apprentice. If I complete it I will be doing the exact same job as a graduate. That shows that you don't even need a bloody degree to do the job let alone one from a top university.

So, a company who is employing someone to do a job that does not require a degree is unconcerned about the university that a candidate attended ... hmmmmm
Why are you going on about economics? Yes we all know that that is an old boys network. In other more pragmatic jobs like engineering where they just want anyone that can do the job it's not a big deal.

So, as has been said, this is subject dependant ... no big surprise there then
Original post by Meat is Murder
Threads like these make me wish peoples ages were displayed; seems like lots of young people who have never worked before talking about about things they know very little about.

Me too; seems like a lot of older people like chatting about things and a time when it was easy and where the pressure on younger folk is not realised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Lol, this thread is pretty funny, the OP is pretty confident, based his thread on an interview hasn't actually got the job yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Me too; seems like a lot of older people like chatting about things and a time when it was easy and where the pressure on younger folk is not realised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you have to remember, the pinch points were different in the past.

Look at this father's account of his daughter's difficulties in becoming a solicitor from 1988.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/becoming-a-solicitor

Things were so bad she was thinking of throwing it all up and going to the bar instead.
It's not that where you go doesn't matter, but the mistake made by some on TSR is in supposing that employers' (or anyone's) interest in the fine-grained rankings business is as keen as on here.

What perhaps matters in the real world of jobs, and the unreal and deathless world of dinner parties, is something that would be better styled 'university regardings' and is subject to sorting about every twenty years or so, not changing overmuch even then. On this working-metric, institutions of higher education are split into about 5 or 6 broad groups, if as many as that, and that's the whole of it.

But on this site, the necessarily endless wrangling for Bath>Exeter or Warwick>Durham. It is nonsense.
Reply 51
Please just shut up about Oxford and Cambridge. They don't care how hard your degree is, they care that you know the material. There is actually not a massive correlation between going to a top university and intelligence, there is however a much bigger correlation between wealth and going to a top university. Are public school kids really smarter than state school kids? Because by your logic that explains why half of Oxbridge is public schooled. Employers know this and therefore don't narrow their net to the top universities only in the search for talent. In short someone at a lower ranked university isn't necessarily less smart than someone at a top university. It is because of old boys clubs. Is journalism a super tough career? Why then is most of the Guardian from Oxbridge? A UCL law degree for example isn't exactly mickey mouse yet the Oxbridge one is massively favored.

That engineering company is potentially hiring me as an apprentice. If I complete it I will be doing the exact same job as a graduate. That shows that you don't even need a bloody degree to do the job let alone one from a top university. You go in knowing the basics and they get you up to speed on the job. If LSBU was **** then why would that company spend millions sponsoring their employees to go there? You're all completely brainwashed.

~40% of Oxbridge are public schooled - you ask does that mean they are more intelligent? Not really, but you must consider that an awful lot of the people at Oxbridge from private schools were from academically selective private schools which means that a lot of them are more intelligent. It's a controversial idea but one could argue that, even though the effect is unlikely to be large if it does indeed exist, private school people are inherently more intelligent as they have inherited the characteristics of their successful parents who might have achieved highly on the basis of intellect. Note that I'm not saying this is necessarily true and wealth is not always a function of intelligence of course but I feel it necessary to point out that privately educated individuals being more intelligent is not totally out of the question. Before people go off on me for saying this I think I should point out that I am NOT privately educated (but am at Cambridge).

Also, it's not all about natural intellect. People at top universities such as Oxbridge are typically smarter but also more diligent than those elsewhere. You can knock the private sector schooling system all you want but often this diligence has been fostered from an early age in the private school system and is continued at Oxbridge.

Regarding your engineering job, congratulations. But you wouldn't be in the same position if, for example, you applied to work in F1 without a degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by cambio wechsel
It's not that where you go doesn't matter, but the mistake made by some on TSR is in supposing that employers' (or anyone's) interest in the fine-grained rankings business is as keen as on here.

What perhaps matters in the real world of jobs, and the unreal and deathless world of dinner parties, is something that would be better styled 'university regardings' and is subject to sorting about every twenty years or so, not changing overmuch even then. On this working-metric, institutions of higher education are split into about 5 or 6 broad groups, if as many as that, and that's the whole of it.

But on this site, the necessarily endless wrangling for Bath>Exeter or Warwick>Durham. It is nonsense.

I very much agree with this. It's pretty much

Oxbridge

LSE/Imperial/Warwick/Durham/UCL etc

Other Russel group universities

Non Russel group universities
Original post by stefl14
I very much agree with this. It's pretty much

Oxbridge

LSE/Imperial/Warwick/Durham/UCL etc

Other Russel group universities

Non Russel group universities

Nice move there ... everyone who is reading can slot their own university into the etc and be happy

I certainly did
Original post by TenOfThem
Nice move there ... everyone who is reading can slot their own university into the etc and be happy

I certainly did

Do you mean Manchester? I'm not sure that is in the same ranks as Durham, Warwick, Imperial, St. Andrews, UCL, LSE, etc. http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2013/jun/03/university-league-table-2014
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Egolessness
Do you mean Manchester? I'm not sure that is in the same ranks as Durham, Warwick, Imperial, St. Andrews, UCL, LSE, etc.

I guess the humour struggled to get through the screen
Original post by TenOfThem
I guess the humour struggled to get through the screen

You might have better luck telling funny stories about rainwear at the National Railway Museum.
Original post by nulli tertius

Look at this father's account of his daughter's difficulties in becoming a solicitor from 1988.

Things were so bad she was thinking of throwing it all up and going to the bar instead.

I was joking, Nulli :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spaz Man
As much as I want to believe you, I'm not taking that chance. Anyone else can if they want...

I think people should work as hard as they possibly can to go to the university they feel is the best for them, but they shouldn't let it rule their lives and it DEFINITELY isn't the be-all and end-all.
Original post by nulli tertius

In that particular order? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending