The Student Room Group

What to reply?

Ok so I met this guy and we really got on well. I have only met him once and he took my number (because we are going to be working together in the near future but he had the choice of 12 people and he choose me which is good for my incredibly low self-esteem :colondollar: ). I quite like him but I know he has a girlfriend so I know nothing will happen (I won't let it!) but he sent me a text saying - Hi, just thought I would drop you a text so that you have my number. What should I reply to this? I don't want to ignore him because that would be rude and I don't want to just send him back a text saying "got it!" or something etc. Please help!
Reply 1
Just a reply of 'Cheers, see you in x weeks.'

This doesn't sound like the start of a long term relationship. He is texting you to give you his number. Nothing more I'm afraid.

--
~Mat~
Student at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Reply 2
Original post by Mattheatre
Just a reply of 'Cheers, see you in x weeks.'

This doesn't sound like the start of a long term relationship. He is texting you to give you his number. Nothing more I'm afraid.

--
~Mat~

Thank you for your reply. I do realise that nothing is going to happen (as I said I won't let it whilst he is still with his girlfriend) and I wasn't looking to flirt. But I am not very good with these things i.e. talking to guys even as a friend (probably due to lack of experience). But thank you for your advice and I have text him what you said :smile:
Reply 3
You sound like a friend of mine who is very shy. Low confidence level?

I didn't mean to be so blunt but you'll get over him trust me. You seem adequate in talking to me. See it as words on a screen if he texts you again rather than him talking. Butterflies in your stomach are never a good feeling.

--
~Mat~
Reply 4
Original post by Mattheatre
You sound like a friend of mine who is very shy. Low confidence level?

I didn't mean to be so blunt but you'll get over him trust me. You seem adequate in talking to me. See it as words on a screen if he texts you again rather than him talking. Butterflies in your stomach are never a good feeling.

--
~Mat~

Actually I am not that shy but yeah I do have a very low confidence level.

I am not head over heels in love with him ( I probably gave the wrong impression in my original post) but he is the first guy who has ever shown any interest in me well since primary school but that was about 6 years ago :colondollar:

But I will do what you advise and see how things turn out. Thanks again :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Actually I am not that shy but yeah I do have a very low confidence level.

I am not head over heels in love with him ( I probably gave the wrong impression in my original post) but he is the first guy who has ever shown any interest in me well since primary school but that was about 6 years ago :colondollar:

But I will do what you advise and see how things turn out. Thanks again :wink:

Just be friendly, don't spin lies and webs of portrayed emotion just to keep them happy. If it develops into something then that's great, if it doesn't then you won't upset anyone and shan't get emotionally damaged (hopefully). Always worth a shot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending