The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU Maths and Stats Degree Worth It?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Choppie
What is the reason for you wanting to do a maths degree alongside your A-levels?

Because life is to short to put things off, if you can do something you should do it .... why wait till you can't
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 21
Original post by ShaneJ
Because life is to short to put things off, if you can do something you should do it .... why wait till you can't

You can always do a degree so long as you can fund it. I know of some pensioners getting a PhD in varying subjects.

It is not a good idea to take a degree on so early. Especially if you have the chance to actually go to a university where you can be taught face-to-face, see what it's like to live on your own, and get a master degree without having to do a bachelors separately.

University isn't just about a degree, it's about getting life experience, especially seeing as it is most peoples first time from living away from their parents/guardians.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, especially seeing as you could potentially be an Oxbridge candidate (if you can get good grades as you say you can).
Reply 22
Original post by Choppie
You can always do a degree so long as you can fund it. I know of some pensioners getting a PhD in varying subjects.

It is not a good idea to take a degree on so early. Especially if you have the chance to actually go to a university where you can be taught face-to-face, see what it's like to live on your own, and get a master degree without having to do a bachelors separately.

University isn't just about a degree, it's about getting life experience, especially seeing as it is most peoples first time from living away from their parents/guardians.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should, especially seeing as you could potentially be an Oxbridge candidate (if you can get good grades as you say you can).

True, but i have been underestimated most of my life my primary education was nill, my secondary was worse teachers dont give a **** except the science department. I am just trying to make something out of my life because i dont have many things going right for me atm
If you study a degree with OU now, you wouldn't get funding if you want to go to a brick uni.
Reply 24
Original post by ShaneJ
True, but i have been underestimated most of my life my primary education was nill, my secondary was worse teachers dont give a **** except the science department. I am just trying to make something out of my life because i dont have many things going right for me atm

What have you tried to do about it? Have you tried taking exams as a private candidate? Moving school/college/exam centre?

If you think you can do GCSE maths, teachers do not have the power to stop you taking the exam. The same goes for your A-Levels. You can make your own choices regardless of what they say.
Reply 25
Original post by Choppie
What have you tried to do about it? Have you tried taking exams as a private candidate? Moving school/college/exam centre?

If you think you can do GCSE maths, teachers do not have the power to stop you taking the exam. The same goes for your A-Levels. You can make your own choices regardless of what they say.

I have had my parents go into the school they say they will fix it but then the teachers are worse to me, In my area school are not that good. I just want to make something of my self in science and maths. It's also difficult due to my dyslexia as some schools wont let me sit exams because its more work for them. I can see the maths working in my head but when english is put into it i get confused
Reply 26
Original post by ShaneJ
I have had my parents go into the school they say they will fix it but then the teachers are worse to me, In my area school are not that good. I just want to make something of my self in science and maths. It's also difficult due to my dyslexia as some schools wont let me sit exams because its more work for them. I can see the maths working in my head but when english is put into it i get confused

I travel 50 miles each day (25 each way) to get to the college I am going to, as I was not satisfied with any in my area. As far as I am aware, it is illegal for a school to not take you based on dyslexia. The school doesn't have to let you sit the exam, you can go as a private candidate.

Don't give up. There are things that can be done - and where the schools you speak of seem to be acting illegally (or if you have evidence they are not allowing you to do something because of dyslexia), then action can be taken against them.
OP you're coming across as stubborn, childish and with an unnecessary and an imaginary chip on your shoulder. You think you're a special case and you think you're receiving major discrimination just because of being dyslexic. I think it's all in your head, big time.

Christ, just go and do the bloody degree if you think it's the best idea. Clearly you want to, because you keep rejecting everything anyone says to you.

I think you live in a dream world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ShaneJ

I think you should listen to the advice Choppie has given and take it seriously. I didn't do A-levels, but an access course and there's no way I would have coped with a degree without sound A-level knowledge. There's no harm whatsoever in waiting until you're old enough to go to a brick university - it's a great experience. :smile:
Reply 29
ShaneJ

I must admit I love your enthusiasm. You will go far.

I self taught myself A-level mathematics concurrently with commencing study for a mathematics degree with the Open University. It is perfectly doable with availability of time, and lots of application.

However, looking at the A-levels you are starting I feel you would find it a bit tight. There would be a risk that your school-arranged A-levels, your mathematics A-level, and your Open University studies would suffer overall and you wouldn't do yourself justice in any one subject or study route. I would therefore advise the following, in this order:

Firstly, ignore your school's intransigence and register to take GCSE mathematics as an external candidate. If you look at the AQA website, you will find a list of centres that specifically take external candidates across the country. There are lots and there will be one close to you. I would register, in due course, to take this next summer.

Secondly, continue your mathematics A-level studies by yourself with a view to taking the AS level units externally next summer. If you obtain good passes in both GCSE maths and AS level maths, I find it difficult to imagine your school will not allow you to take A2 with them, with a view to going on to do mathematics at university.

Thirdly, if your school won't let you do A2 maths with them after getting good GCSE and AS maths results next summer, then study A2 by yourself... and or move school. You don't have to stay studying where you are.

And then move on to university studies with the OU or elsewhere. Meanwhile, and to enrich your mathematics study, and if you have time, consider getting the Open University courses MST121 and then MS221 from Ebay. The full course material comes up for sale regularly and you should be able to get them for around £50 each. I did this for both courses prior to formal enrolment. Compared with the full current cost of around £1200 each, that is somewhat of a bargain and you can sell them on again to recoup costs. They are great courses and fully self-studyable.

Really good luck with this. Fortune favours the brave!
(edited 10 years ago)
Hey OP from experience you really need to slow down. I don't think you've grasped just how much work a honors degree is. It is a lot of hard graft.

You need to get 60-69% (Hard to get) in your degree to get a 2i, which is the average pass pretty much. A full degree is equivalent to 360 credits it's meant to take 10 hours per credit, meaning 3600 hours of self study, this is by no means conservative too, plus the time it takes you to do your A Levels, I reckon you'll be completely overwhelmed, I know I would be, hell most people on TSR would be.

Don't underestimate your A Levels, they are very hard for what they're worth.

Your enthusiasm is very admirable and I love to see that spark where people are driven to learn but if you're only getting 70% in your C1 module then you really aren't ready for a undergraduate degree. Sorry mate.

C1 and C2 are some of the easiest modules, C3 is challenging enough, C4 is often regarded as very much rigorous; most people struggle with the exam and many more mess it up and drop a full grade because of it. I did it this year and I'll be happy with a B. Integration by recognition is only something that you can pick up by practicing it for ages, even then the trig identities and proofs that you have to memorize can be very hard too.

Go back to your school, do your A Levels, give it your all and revise your ass off. Particularly now that resits are not an option you don't want to hinder your chances by taking on a degree too!

You certainly will go far with an attitude like that mate but slow down, one step at a time.
Original post by Choppie

not all people who go to university move away from their parents, many live at home
Reply 32
Original post by bloomblaze
not all people who go to university move away from their parents, many live at home

Hence why I said "most peoples".
I am studying A levels math at the moment at my own speed and leisure. I am also doing a medical degree so I have to balance things. I think you should not skip the A level stuff. I am planing on doing c1-4, M1 and 2, already done s1 and s2. Then I will move on to the open university degree.
Original post by Tiger Rag
I don't see how you're going to have time to fit all those subjects in.

OU level 1 maths is from experience, a recap for GCSE and has some A Level maths in it.

It is correct that OU level 1 Maths start at a lower level than first-year maths at other universities. The reason for this is that the OU does not select their students on previous grades and want to make sure that they all start with a sound foundation to build upon. Discovering mathematics cover most of the material up to GCSE, whereas the other level 1 Essential Mathematics overlap extensively with A-level Maths. Essential Mathematics 2 takes a step further covering in much more details what was introduced in Essential mathematics 1 and more. In sum, it is possible to go from GCSE to BSc Maths and Stats but I advise that for the first academic year you only take Discovering Mathematics and Essential Mathematics and make sure you those well. OU degree are often done best over at least four years I believe. Overall, OU material is brilliant, so you are very much likely to enjoy their materials.

Quick Reply

Latest