The Student Room Group

Say you saw someone fall onto a train track or a London tube track, which part is

Say you saw someone fall onto a train track or a London tube track, which part is live?

What can and can't be touched on a train track?
And an underground train track too?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The third rail is live. On pretty much all railways other than the underground the power is not delivered from the rails at all but from overhead cables. You could technically touch any part of mainline railway tracks as no part of them carries power.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
"Touch the third rail, make the pain your remedy"
Reply 3
Original post by james1211
The third rail is live. On pretty much all railways other than the underground the power is not delivered from the rails at all but from overhead cables. You could technically touch any part of mainline railway tracks as no part of them carries power.

I love the diagram; it explains the whole thing. It makes the post sexy too :sexface:

:tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by kka25
I love the diagram; it explains the whole thing. It makes the post sexy too :sexface:

:s-smilie:
Reply 5

Except London Underground tracks have 4 lines, of course. But yes its the furthest line that is live i believe.
Reply 6
Original post by nexttime
Except London Underground tracks have 4 lines, of course. But yes its the furthest line that is live i believe.

True there's also a centre rail, but i think you need to touch both that and the outermost one to recieve a shock.
Reply 7
:s-smilie:

Ok; Ok. I'm sorry :tongue:

But diagrams and texts = :cool:
True there's also a centre rail, but i think you need to touch both that and the outermost one to recieve a shock.

I love how you say a "shock". It ain't a 9V battery. It's 630v DC which would absolutely fry you :P
Reply 9
Original post by kka25

You need some therapy, sir :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ConnorB
I love how you say a "shock". It ain't a 9V battery. It's 630v DC which would absolutely fry you :P

A shock as in electric shock, not a fright!
Reply 11
Original post by ConnorB

At the School of Electronics, we used to say:

It's the volts that jolt, but the mills that kill.
Its pretty obvious which are the load bearing tracks as opposed to the live rails.

The rails with white tops are the live ones. I don't think you need to touch both, just one and something else be it another track or the ground.
How about we don't go about touching any railway lines? Just a suggestion...:colondollar:
Reply 14
Original post by ipoop
You need some therapy, sir :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Reply 15
This reminds me of this advert. I'm not sure what the marketing team were thinking. (Or if it's even real...)

Reply 16
Original post by psychstudent95
How about we don't go about touching any railway lines? Just a suggestion...:colondollar:

if you re-read the question, the scenario is when you need to help somebody and the point is which rail lines should be avoided. But If you were saying that for caring reasons then fine.
Reply 17

I thought what you said was that the power was delivered overhead? Excusez, if I'm missing a trick.
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime

Do you know if the power is overhead or through the rail furthest?
Makes you think whether they put the furthest rail out for safety reasons?
Reply 19
Original post by Tim2341
Do you know if the power is overhead or through the rail furthest?
Makes you think whether they put the furthest rail out for safety reasons?

Its definitely not overhead.

I think that is indeed the logic behind making it the furthest rail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending