The Student Room Group

Lumps on neck=anaemia?

Hey, I went to my doctor today because of sone large lumps I can feel on my neck just above my collarbone. My doctor said I looked quite pale and told me she suspected I had anaemia, and I'll get round to having a blood test in a few days. My doctors never actually explain things to me (I had to see four of them before one of them told me what 'the skin thingy' was on a separate problem). So I was just wondering, how do these lumps relate to anaemia? It's not a problem I've ever heard of before and I'm getting quite curious.

Edit: update lower on in thread.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
The two could be unrelated, but then again maybe not. Do what the doctor says and if you're still worried go back for a second opinion :smile:
Reply 2
The lumps are not a sign of anaemia, but anaemia plus neck lumps can mean all sorts of things, some of which can be serious. It's important to get your blood results and go back to discuss them with your doctor. Keep an eye on those lumps to see if they change in size or increase in number. Let us know how you get on!
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
The lumps are not a sign of anaemia, but anaemia plus neck lumps can mean all sorts of things, some of which can be serious. It's important to get your blood results and go back to discuss them with your doctor. Keep an eye on those lumps to see if they change in size or increase in number. Let us know how you get on!

Thanks! I managed to get a lift to the hospital today so my blood tests have been done. One of the lumps is getting quite small now, but the other one is the same size and hurts quite a bit. I'm still not clear on what exactly they are, my doctor wrote something like lymphanopathy or some similar other long word on the blood test papers?
Reply 4
Original post by syrettd
Hey, I went to my doctor today because of sone large lumps I can feel on my neck just above my collarbone. My doctor said I looked quite pale and told me she suspected I had anaemia, and I'll get round to having a blood test in a few days. My doctors never actually explain things to me (I had to see four of them before one of them told me what 'the skin thingy' was on a separate problem). So I was just wondering, how do these lumps relate to anaemia? It's not a problem I've ever heard of before and I'm getting quite curious.

They could be swolen lymph nodes, I get lumps come up on my neck under my jaw, or above my collar bone when I have any kind of upper body infection like a sore throat, sometimes I notice the painful nodes before the symptoms of the infection.

Could be something little like that, how long have you had them?
Reply 5
Original post by Hanvyj
They could be swolen lymph nodes, I get lumps come up on my neck under my jaw, or above my collar bone when I have any kind of upper body infection like a sore throat, sometimes I notice the painful nodes before the symptoms of the infection.

Could be something little like that, how long have you had them?

I first noticed them a couple of days ago. I wasn't aware the lymph nodes were above the collarbone, I thought there were only some just under the jaw, so this is actually where a lot of my confusion has come from! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by syrettd
I first noticed them a couple of days ago. I wasn't aware the lymph nodes were above the collarbone, I thought there were only some just under the jaw, so this is actually where a lot of my confusion has come from! :smile:

Yeah they are all over. You could just have a minor infection then, I wouldn't be very worried.

Still go to the docs about it if you feel like it, I had one on my leg, which had never happened before and I did just to make sure and it was just a lymph node.
Reply 7
Original post by syrettd
Thanks! I managed to get a lift to the hospital today so my blood tests have been done. One of the lumps is getting quite small now, but the other one is the same size and hurts quite a bit. I'm still not clear on what exactly they are, my doctor wrote something like lymphanopathy or some similar other long word on the blood test papers?

"Lymphadenopathy"? That just means swollen lymph nodes. You have loads in your neck, not just under your jaw! As someone else has already said, it may be nothing but getting it checked out is sensible.
As has been said already it could be caused by many different issues, some not so serious, some fairly serious. However, there is no point speculating at this point until you get your test results back as all it will do is cause unecessary stress, hence why your doctor probably didn't tell you much about what it could be.
Reply 9
Which bit of your neck is it on? Like, under the jaw, on top of your vocal cord, etc...
Reply 10
Original post by Helenia
"Lymphadenopathy"? That just means swollen lymph nodes. You have loads in your neck, not just under your jaw! As someone else has already said, it may be nothing but getting it checked out is sensible.

Yeah that was the word! :tongue: It's because I didn't realise there were more than just under the jaw that I was so confused as to why I was getting random lumps, but now I know that it's my lymph nodes things make more sense to me. Hopefully I get my results soon so it can all be sorted out and I can sleep comfortably without having to keep my head in one place lol
Reply 11
UPDATE: Ok, so my blood tests came back and I went to see my doctor again. There is only one lump now, and it only hurts when I lay down to go to sleep, or touch it. My doctor said I'm anaemic, but not as much as she thought (my count is 11.something, and she said a normal range is 12-15). But she said my white blood cell count was quite high, as if I had an infection. But I still feel fine except for lack of energy and occasional dizziness. So she gave me some antibiotics in case I have something and I have to have another blood test again in a week.

The thing I'm confused on this time though is that she wrote cervical lymphadenopathy on my blood test form this time. Cervical? As far as I'm aware my cervix is fine, and she certainly never did any sort of checks or ask any questions about anything other than my neck and how I was feeling.
Reply 12
Original post by syrettd
UPDATE: Ok, so my blood tests came back and I went to see my doctor again. There is only one lump now, and it only hurts when I lay down to go to sleep, or touch it. My doctor said I'm anaemic, but not as much as she thought (my count is 11.something, and she said a normal range is 12-15). But she said my white blood cell count was quite high, as if I had an infection. But I still feel fine except for lack of energy and occasional dizziness. So she gave me some antibiotics in case I have something and I have to have another blood test again in a week.

The thing I'm confused on this time though is that she wrote cervical lymphadenopathy on my blood test form this time. Cervical? As far as I'm aware my cervix is fine, and she certainly never did any sort of checks or ask any questions about anything other than my neck and how I was feeling.

Cervix means "neck" in Latin, the cervix you're thinking about is the neck of your uterus! So she just means lymphadenopathy in your neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Helenia
Cervix means "neck" in Latin, the cervix you're thinking about is the neck of your uterus! So she just means lymphadenopathy in your neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, ok :smile: learn something new every day!

Quick Reply

Latest