University College London
London

Typical offer for Chem Eng at UCL?

Wanna see if I stand a chance

Thanks
Original post by Kits
Wanna see if I stand a chance

Thanks

A*AA - AAB. Maths is a must (usually at least grade A) and Chemistry or Physics is preferred. If either is not offered at A-level, then it must be offered at AS (so if you have Maths and Physics at A-level, then Chemistry must be offered at AS).

I'm currently studying Chem Eng at UCL, feel free to ask questions. :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Ade9000
A*AA - AAB. Maths is a must (usually at least grade A) and Chemistry or Physics is preferred. If either is not offered at A-level, then it must be offered at AS (so if you have Maths and Physics at A-level, then Chemistry must be offered at AS).

I'm currently studying Chem Eng at UCL, feel free to ask questions. :smile:

Oh great! You should help alot then :biggrin:

Can I ask what you got in the end and what your offer was? Also how are you finding the course?

I do chemistry/bio/maths/phys so I should be okay.. as long as I get the grades I suppose.
Original post by Kits
Oh great! You should help alot then :biggrin:

Can I ask what you got in the end and what your offer was? Also how are you finding the course?

I do chemistry/bio/maths/phys so I should be okay.. as long as I get the grades I suppose.

I got an AAB offer, including an A in Maths. I got an A* in Maths, A in Chemistry and a B in Physics (twas hell). I had an AS in Product Design at grade B, but they didn't seem to be bothered about it.

The course is fairly tough. 1st year was fairly simple. It was more about introducing us to the concepts of chemical engineering. But 2nd year, things stepped up and I met a devil. A devil by the name of...MATLAB.
Reply 4
Original post by Ade9000
I got an AAB offer, including an A in Maths. I got an A* in Maths, A in Chemistry and a B in Physics (twas hell). I had an AS in Product Design at grade B, but they didn't seem to be bothered about it.

The course is fairly tough. 1st year was fairly simple. It was more about introducing us to the concepts of chemical engineering. But 2nd year, things stepped up and I met a devil. A devil by the name of...MATLAB.

Oh nice. Good job! What are the chances do you think, of me getting in with a B in Maths? I mean, and A is doable but just worst case scenario I guess since there are no retakes next year.

Also did you do any further reading the summer before the application to write about in your PS? If so what book(s) would you recommend?
The chances of you getting any grade is pretty much down to how hard you work and of course your ability in the subject. Just make sure you do as many practice questions you can get your hands on and then go for Solomon papers (they were responsible for my A* in Maths, I highly recommend them).

I didn't really do any further reading, but on my holiday in Nigeria, I went to Benin and visited Shonghai Farm, one of Africa's greatest farm projects which was designed by a Nigerian Chemical Engineering graduate from the US. This was incredibly inspiring to see and also was worth putting down in my personal statement.

But there are some books you can read to get an insight into chemical engineering. I recommend;

Fundementals of Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer by Welty, Wicks, Wilson and Rorrer
Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes by Felder & Rousseau
Engineering Mathematics by Stroud
Reply 6
Original post by Ade9000
The chances of you getting any grade is pretty much down to how hard you work and of course your ability in the subject. Just make sure you do as many practice questions you can get your hands on and then go for Solomon papers (they were responsible for my A* in Maths, I highly recommend them).

I didn't really do any further reading, but on my holiday in Nigeria, I went to Benin and visited Shonghai Farm, one of Africa's greatest farm projects which was designed by a Nigerian Chemical Engineering graduate from the US. This was incredibly inspiring to see and also was worth putting down in my personal statement.

But there are some books you can read to get an insight into chemical engineering. I recommend;

Fundementals of Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer by Welty, Wicks, Wilson and Rorrer
Elementary Principles of Chemical Processes by Felder & Rousseau
Engineering Mathematics by Stroud

That's one heck of a thing to put on your personal statement haha, I wish i had something like that.

And right, thanks alot, you've helped!
No worries :smile:
Is the AAB offer contextual (extenuating circumstances) or does a lower offer depend on how good the interview is?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Is the AAB offer contextual (extenuating circumstances) or does a lower offer depend on how good the interview is?

It depends also on your AS's and other parts of the app not just interview.
Original post by Stickman
It depends also on your AS's and other parts of the app not just interview.

Depends on my AS? The subjects I do or the grades I get? So if i got BBC, they would give me the AAB offer?
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Depends on my AS? The subjects I do or the grades I get? So if i got BBC, they would give me the AAB offer?

Grades you got. Not sure about those grades but I got A*AA at AS (did Maths a year early) but my offer was AAA for EEE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending