The Student Room Group

When people think medicine isn't for you?

I've had quite a few people wonder whether medicine is the right course for me. The head of sixth form at my school seems to think my gap year plans or my application in general don't scream out medicine. I also talked to this guy who was a representative (is that the right word?) for Plymouth University. I told him I'm taking a gap year because I didn't want to apply without any experience, both voluntary and a good amount of work experience (both of those are impossible to find around here due to really strict rules). I mean at the end of the day no one can be 100% sure they want to do anything unless they get some sort of experience and it is especially important with medicine since it is so practical in nature (hopefully that makes sense). For some reason, he took that as "If you're not sure you want to do medicine, it's probably not for you". It was a little annoying because I want to pursue medicine, I just don't want to apply without the right amount of experience. I'd like to say I'm 100% sure but I feel like I can't be unless I get some more experience in a medical field.

The head of sixth form probably thinks it isn't for me because I tend to be pretty quiet at school (as do many other teachers..apparently quiet equates to bad communication skills?). Does quiet have to mean antisocial though? I'm definitely not antisocial..I'm perfectly fine around people and I love meeting new people. I just tend to be really quiet in class when I'm working. Anyways, all of this kind of bothers me. I know it shouldn't, but I hate how people can just make a judgement based on little things (such as that guy from Plymouth University and our 5 minute conversation). This in no way makes me not want to pursue medicine..if anything, I want to pursue it even more. I'm posting this thread for a bit of advice. Has anyone ever gone through anything like this? My parents are supporting me and so are my friends, but someone always pops up that tells me this isn't the course for me. I know people like this exist everywhere and I will encounter them throughout my life, but I want to know how to stop it bothering me and to stop thinking about it. Let me know if I'm being stupid, I won't mind. I honestly think it is silly to be so worked up over this but I can't help it. :frown: I'll probably get over it soon, but I really needed to vent for now.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can do online research into medicine, read peoples work experience findings, go and volunteer in care homes, and so on, and know what the job reality entails and the challenges.

To the people that doubt you or think they can tell you who you are, to hell with them. You define yourself after thorough research and honest self evaluation.

People told me medicine may not be for me after having some unfavourable things and not making it into medicine the first time. That motivated me even more and i got into the best possible university , and did even better the second time round.

If these are the only words you remember , then my mission is fulfilled: Don't let anyones idea of you become your reality. You define yourself.

As for the W/E really do make a strong effort to try to get some in your town/or a closeby town. You need to phone them, send letters well in advance.

I took a gap year btw.
Reply 2
To add, the guy at the open day is not a mind reading sphinx. How on earth could he possibly know if medicine is for you after a twenty second (at most) conversation.

The fact he misunderstood something so elementary speaks less about you, and not to backbite, but more about him.

So don't worry about what he said IMHO.

Just try to get work experience and volunteering in nursing homes.
In an informal chat with careers advisers from school I was told that "Medicine is really hard to get into, you should try something else." Talk about being defeatist. I later found out that it wasn't for me, but that's fine, that was my own path to discovery.

Basically don't be disheartened from what other people say, good for you for taking a gap year to get experience! That's the most sensible thing to do rather than paying high fees for a course which maybe right or not for you and it certainly can't harm your university application.
If it turns out it's not for you, don't worry. You will have experience which can't put you at any disadvantage and perhaps through that experience you'll have found something else that suits you.

Prove those people wrong and find out for yourself if it's for you, they aren't the ones making a commitment, paying for and doing the course, you are. :smile:
I wish you the best of luck!
Just use those type of people as more motivation as to why you want to do medicine. As you said, you'll prob encounter these ppl all through your life so you cant let them get to you or else you wont be able to do anything.
Reply 5
Original post by cat-lover
I've had quite a few people wonder whether medicine is the right course for me. The head of sixth form at my school seems to think my gap year plans or my application in general don't scream out medicine. I also talked to this guy who was a representative (is that the right word?) for Plymouth University. I told him I'm taking a gap year because I didn't want to apply without any experience, both voluntary and a good amount of work experience (both of those are impossible to find around here due to really strict rules). I mean at the end of the day no one can be 100% sure they want to do anything unless they get some sort of experience and it is especially important with medicine since it is so practical in nature (hopefully that makes sense). For some reason, he took that as "If you're not sure you want to do medicine, it's probably not for you". It was a little annoying because I want to pursue medicine, I just don't want to apply without the right amount of experience. I'd like to say I'm 100% sure but I feel like I can't be unless I get some more experience in a medical field.

The head of sixth form probably thinks it isn't for me because I tend to be pretty quiet at school (as do many other teachers..apparently quiet equates to bad communication skills?). Does quiet have to mean antisocial though? I'm definitely not antisocial..I'm perfectly fine around people and I love meeting new people. I just tend to be really quiet in class when I'm working. Anyways, all of this kind of bothers me. I know it shouldn't, but I hate how people can just make a judgement based on little things (such as that guy from Plymouth University and our 5 minute conversation). This in no way makes me not want to pursue medicine..if anything, I want to pursue it even more. I'm posting this thread for a bit of advice. Has anyone ever gone through anything like this? My parents are supporting me and so are my friends, but someone always pops up that tells me this isn't the course for me. I know people like this exist everywhere and I will encounter them throughout my life, but I want to know how to stop it bothering me and to stop thinking about it. Let me know if I'm being stupid, I won't mind. I honestly think it is silly to be so worked up over this but I can't help it. :frown: I'll probably get over it soon, but I really needed to vent for now.

You don't have to be a massive extrovert to fit in at med school. Certainly there are some people at medical school who are extremely sociable, and conversely there are other people whose lives seem to revolve only around work and all things work related. Most students fall somewhere in the middle, so it's not necessary to be a particular "type"; med students are a pretty varied bunch. FWIW I very firmly fall into the "somewhere in the middle" category - and I'm definitely very happy that I'm a med student!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to gain extra insight into what being a doctor will involve, so I'm not sure why your head of sixth form is being so funny about it. At any rate, you seem clued up and like you know what you're talking about, so I'd suggest not paying attention to him on this matter and carrying on as you are :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Democracy
You don't have to be a massive extrovert to fit in at med school. Certainly there are some people at medical school who are extremely sociable, and conversely there are other people whose lives seem to revolve only around work and all things work related. Most students fall somewhere in the middle, so it's not necessary to be a particular "type"; med students are a pretty varied bunch. FWIW I very firmly fall into the "somewhere in the middle" category - and I'm definitely very happy that I'm a med student!

There's nothing wrong with wanting to gain extra insight into what being a doctor will involve, so I'm not sure why your head of sixth form is being so funny about it. At any rate, you seem clued up and like you know what you're talking about, so I'd suggest not paying attention to him on this matter and carrying on as you are :smile:

Awww thanks! :smile: I feel a lot better now. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by scapepower
You can do online research into medicine, read peoples work experience findings, go and volunteer in care homes, and so on, and know what the job reality entails and the challenges.

To the people that doubt you or think they can tell you who you are, to hell with them. You define yourself after thorough research and honest self evaluation.

People told me medicine may not be for me after having some unfavourable things and not making it into medicine the first time. That motivated me even more and i got into the best possible university , and did even better the second time round.

If these are the only words you remember , then my mission is fulfilled: Don't let anyones idea of you become your reality. You define yourself.

As for the W/E really do make a strong effort to try to get some in your town/or a closeby town. You need to phone them, send letters well in advance.

I took a gap year btw.

Original post by scapepower
To add, the guy at the open day is not a mind reading sphinx. How on earth could he possibly know if medicine is for you after a twenty second (at most) conversation.

The fact he misunderstood something so elementary speaks less about you, and not to backbite, but more about him.

So don't worry about what he said IMHO.

Just try to get work experience and volunteering in nursing homes.

Thank you!! :smile: You're right about everything. I'm a lot more determined to get to my goal now. :biggrin:

Original post by xchatterbox14x
In an informal chat with careers advisers from school I was told that "Medicine is really hard to get into, you should try something else." Talk about being defeatist. I later found out that it wasn't for me, but that's fine, that was my own path to discovery.

Basically don't be disheartened from what other people say, good for you for taking a gap year to get experience! That's the most sensible thing to do rather than paying high fees for a course which maybe right or not for you and it certainly can't harm your university application.
If it turns out it's not for you, don't worry. You will have experience which can't put you at any disadvantage and perhaps through that experience you'll have found something else that suits you.

Prove those people wrong and find out for yourself if it's for you, they aren't the ones making a commitment, paying for and doing the course, you are. :smile:
I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you!!! :biggrin: You're absolutely right. I didn't really think about it that way. :smile:

Original post by elitemodella
Just use those type of people as more motivation as to why you want to do medicine. As you said, you'll prob encounter these ppl all through your life so you cant let them get to you or else you wont be able to do anything.

You're right, thank you! :smile:
Reply 8

Im abit on the quiet side, but I think it shouldn't make a difference in medicine. As long as you can build relationships with peers/patients and be 'extroverted' (cant think of a better word) when required, then what's the problem?

As long as you can demonstrate good communication skills in interviews, you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 9
Also, sometimes patients will appreciate a more introverted personality, since they will feel more listened to and like you care about their wellbeing. Rather than someone who will talk at you with little oppourtunity for input.

Just my thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad you're feeling better about it now, it's always good to have a rant :smile:

Just wanted to say that I'm an introverted and quiet person, and I'm getting on fine with the communication skills at med school.

I know some people thought 'huh, you?' when they found out I wanted to do medicine. You're quiet - I'm quiet, and diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome to boot :tongue: (I do have a few issues witth purely social communication, but that doesn't affect communicating in a medical context. Tell me to talk to Mrs Doe about her back problems and I'm fine. Tell me to go clubbing with Mrs Doe and I'll be in difficulties :biggrin: )

I had to shrug it off and prove that I wanted medicine and was right for it, by getting in and doing fine. And I am fine - especially with the communication bit! I can wave my OSCE communication station marks at those doubters as proof, along with all the good feedback I've recieved :biggrin:

Most med students aren't really really loud and outgoing anyway, it's a myth. Some obviously are, but not more than any other course, My friends are quite quiet, non partying people who are also all getting on fine
I think a gap year is a good idea to grow as a person, it doesn't show that you're not committed don't listen to them. I was told by the university application teacher at college that my PS was completely wrong and that I stood no chance whatsoever of getting in. I got four offers, he wasn't happy. Basically don't listen to anybody, do you own research :smile:
Reply 12
have you considered post graduate med. This is an option i am looking at after completing the BSC Neuroscience degree as i was unsucessful to get into med school first time round.
I also talked to this guy who was a representative (is that the right word?) for Plymouth University. I told him I'm taking a gap year because I didn't want to apply without any experience, both voluntary and a good amount of work experience (both of those are impossible to find around here due to really strict rules). I mean at the end of the day no one can be 100% sure they want to do anything unless they get some sort of experience and it is especially important with medicine since it is so practical in nature (hopefully that makes sense). For some reason, he took that as "If you're not sure you want to do medicine, it's probably not for you". It was a little annoying because I want to pursue medicine, I just don't want to apply without the right amount of experience. I'd like to say I'm 100% sure but I feel like I can't be unless I get some more experience in a medical field.

Sounds to me like you're doing exactly what most med schools want you to do. The reason they all require you to have done work experience is that they want you to try it out before committing to the course. If you feel you need more work experience before making a decision, that sounds eminently sensible to me

The head of sixth form probably thinks it isn't for me because I tend to be pretty quiet at school (as do many other teachers..apparently quiet equates to bad communication skills?). Does quiet have to mean antisocial though? I'm definitely not antisocial..I'm perfectly fine around people and I love meeting new people. I just tend to be really quiet in class when I'm working.

What does it matter? Some doctors are loud. Some are quiet. Some are extroverted. Some are introverted. Some are in the middle. Medical students / doctors are a heterogeneous group of people. If you don't conform to your teachers' view of what a med student "should" be like, then that's their problem, not yours. Do what you want to do

Anyways, all of this kind of bothers me. I know it shouldn't, but I hate how people can just make a judgement based on little things (such as that guy from Plymouth University and our 5 minute conversation). This in no way makes me not want to pursue medicine..if anything, I want to pursue it even more.

Good. Don't listen to idiots. Do what you want to do

I'm posting this thread for a bit of advice. Has anyone ever gone through anything like this? My parents are supporting me and so are my friends, but someone always pops up that tells me this isn't the course for me. I know people like this exist everywhere and I will encounter them throughout my life, but I want to know how to stop it bothering me and to stop thinking about it. Let me know if I'm being stupid, I won't mind. I honestly think it is silly to be so worked up over this but I can't help it. :frown: I'll probably get over it soon, but I really needed to vent for now.

Ultimately I think this all stems from people's preconceptions of the "type" of person a doctor should be. Apparently some of the people you know think that you're not that type, whatever it is. Well, having met hundreds of med students and doctors, I can honestly say that there is no type. We come in all different shapes, sizes, and styles. Don't worry about what other people think
If it makes you feel any better I'm a very quiet/ anxious person and all my interviews resulted in offers, they're looking for motivation and insight not the perfect being. Don't worry :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by AtomicMan
Im abit on the quiet side, but I think it shouldn't make a difference in medicine. As long as you can build relationships with peers/patients and be 'extroverted' (cant think of a better word) when required, then what's the problem?

As long as you can demonstrate good communication skills in interviews, you should be fine! :smile:

I seeee. :smile: You're right, thanks! :biggrin:

Original post by AtomicMan
Also, sometimes patients will appreciate a more introverted personality, since they will feel more listened to and like you care about their wellbeing. Rather than someone who will talk at you with little oppourtunity for input.

Just my thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's an interesting way to look at it. Thanks again!! :smile:

Original post by SilverArch
Glad you're feeling better about it now, it's always good to have a rant :smile:

Just wanted to say that I'm an introverted and quiet person, and I'm getting on fine with the communication skills at med school.

I know some people thought 'huh, you?' when they found out I wanted to do medicine. You're quiet - I'm quiet, and diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome to boot :tongue: (I do have a few issues witth purely social communication, but that doesn't affect communicating in a medical context. Tell me to talk to Mrs Doe about her back problems and I'm fine. Tell me to go clubbing with Mrs Doe and I'll be in difficulties :biggrin: )

I had to shrug it off and prove that I wanted medicine and was right for it, by getting in and doing fine. And I am fine - especially with the communication bit! I can wave my OSCE communication station marks at those doubters as proof, along with all the good feedback I've recieved :biggrin:

Most med students aren't really really loud and outgoing anyway, it's a myth. Some obviously are, but not more than any other course, My friends are quite quiet, non partying people who are also all getting on fine

Thank you! :smile: And I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was kinda beginning to believe the myth honestly, because a lot of people I've met that wanted to apply to medicine are loud and outgoing. :tongue: Anyways thanks once again, I feel even better (didn't think that was possible :tongue:)

Original post by Hippokrates
I think a gap year is a good idea to grow as a person, it doesn't show that you're not committed don't listen to them. I was told by the university application teacher at college that my PS was completely wrong and that I stood no chance whatsoever of getting in. I got four offers, he wasn't happy. Basically don't listen to anybody, do you own research :smile:

Oh wow, I can imagine he wasn't happy. Guess he learnt not to be so doubtful in the future. Congrats on your offers!! :smile: And thank you :biggrin:

Original post by hussains6
have you considered post graduate med. This is an option i am looking at after completing the BSC Neuroscience degree as i was unsucessful to get into med school first time round.

I have considered that road if I get 4 rejections.

Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Sounds to me like you're doing exactly what most med schools want you to do. The reason they all require you to have done work experience is that they want you to try it out before committing to the course. If you feel you need more work experience before making a decision, that sounds eminently sensible to me

What does it matter? Some doctors are loud. Some are quiet. Some are extroverted. Some are introverted. Some are in the middle. Medical students / doctors are a heterogeneous group of people. If you don't conform to your teachers' view of what a med student "should" be like, then that's their problem, not yours. Do what you want to do

Good. Don't listen to idiots. Do what you want to do

Ultimately I think this all stems from people's preconceptions of the "type" of person a doctor should be. Apparently some of the people you know think that you're not that type, whatever it is. Well, having met hundreds of med students and doctors, I can honestly say that there is no type. We come in all different shapes, sizes, and styles. Don't worry about what other people think

I'm glad it sounds sensible to you. :smile: Even my parents initially thought I was wasting my time (the whole gap year thing).

I have no idea why it matters..I guess like everyone else, I hate it when someone tells me I can't do something. I definitely don't believe there is one type. I suppose she thinks there is one type because a lot of medicine applicants she has come across tend to be very extroverted and loud. I've honestly never met an applicant that's more on the introverted side till I came on here which is really reassuring (even though whether you're more introverted or extroverted might not matter so much since the interviewers have obviously interviewed all kinds of people). Anyways thank you, you're absolutely right about everything, I shouldn't let this get to me. :biggrin:

Original post by Hippokrates
If it makes you feel any better I'm a very quiet/ anxious person and all my interviews resulted in offers, they're looking for motivation and insight not the perfect being. Don't worry :smile:

Yes, that makes me feel a lot better. :biggrin: Thanks once again!! :smile:
In summary, you're right! Don't let people put you off - you seem to be very careful and clued up about it all! You do not need to be an extrovert to get into med school, and anyone who makes this type of claim is just ridiculous... sure, communication is important, but being quiet doesn't mean you're a bad communicator at all! Often, the most quiet of us are even better communicators, because we listen and think to a greater extent than someone who is just yapping all the time (but likewise, being extroverted also doesn't make you a bad communicator.)

This 'representative' does not seem representative at all. The reason why medical schools want you to do work experience etc, is so that you have insight into it before you dedicate the rest of your life to it. If you wish to take a gap year to gain experience, then that's perfect! You don't want to commit to something like medicine unless you're 100% clued up, and I think this 'representative' is just reeling off what he learned when he was competing against some 10,000 other people to get into med school, rather than actually thinking about it.

Follow your heart; you seem like an ideal candidate! Best of luck :smile: xxx

P.s. one final piece of advice, you'll find that in doing a degree such as medicine, and indeed once you get into the hospital environment I'd imagine, you're always going to be surrounded by such snot-nosed people who are determined to trample on your self-confidence so that they can climb to the top. Don't let them get to you :wink: If you need anything, just PM me! I'll be happy to help/advise!

Reply 17
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
In summary, you're right! Don't let people put you off - you seem to be very careful and clued up about it all! You do not need to be an extrovert to get into med school, and anyone who makes this type of claim is just ridiculous... sure, communication is important, but being quiet doesn't mean you're a bad communicator at all! Often, the most quiet of us are even better communicators, because we listen and think to a greater extent than someone who is just yapping all the time (but likewise, being extroverted also doesn't make you a bad communicator.)

This 'representative' does not seem representative at all. The reason why medical schools want you to do work experience etc, is so that you have insight into it before you dedicate the rest of your life to it. If you wish to take a gap year to gain experience, then that's perfect! You don't want to commit to something like medicine unless you're 100% clued up, and I think this 'representative' is just reeling off what he learned when he was competing against some 10,000 other people to get into med school, rather than actually thinking about it.

Follow your heart; you seem like an ideal candidate! Best of luck :smile: xxx

P.s. one final piece of advice, you'll find that in doing a degree such as medicine, and indeed once you get into the hospital environment I'd imagine, you're always going to be surrounded by such snot-nosed people who are determined to trample on your self-confidence so that they can climb to the top. Don't let them get to you :wink: If you need anything, just PM me! I'll be happy to help/advise!

Thank you so much!! :biggrin: I definitely will be PM-ing you..really need to work on my "Don't let it get to you" skills. :tongue: Are you currently in med school? xxx
Thank you so much!! :biggrin: I definitely will be PM-ing you..really need to work on my "Don't let it get to you" skills. :tongue: Are you currently in med school? xxx

:smile: Glad to be of any help! And yeah :smile: I'm currently a third year at Cambridge. xx
Reply 19
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
:smile: Glad to be of any help! And yeah :smile: I'm currently a third year at Cambridge. xx

What's Cambridge like? I didn't look into it too much as I prefer the PBL/Integrated course type (not like I'd ever get in anyway XD). I will forever be under the impression that it is a uni for geniuses. :redface: xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending