The Student Room Group

Feminists anger over bank notes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LordBradburn
name one then

well that was kind of my point....there isnt one because women werent allowed to work, things like science and politics wasnt considered acceptable, that lovely phase where men didnt allow women to vote etc etc etc for most of our history. However if women had been allowed to enter the public sphere far earlier than they did, there would probably been many women of equal achievement to many of the men who are recognised for many things today.
Reply 21
femenists are cute, so i agree.

We need a womynz in the bank notes.

jessica alba maybe?
It's a frigging bank note and the feminists are getting all cagey about it. lmfao, this sort of news just makes me wanna facepalm so hard.
boring feminism....whinge whinge.... feminism what a self defeating ideology
Original post by kunoichi
well that was kind of my point....there isnt one because women werent allowed to work, things like science and politics wasnt considered acceptable, that lovely phase where men didnt allow women to vote etc etc etc for most of our history. However if women had been allowed to enter the public sphere far earlier than they did, there would probably been many women of equal achievement to many of the men who are recognised for many things today.

They do exist though, they just for the most part were not recognized for their achievements because they were women.
Reply 25
Original post by SophieSmall
In no particular order; Emily Davidson, Florence Nightingale, Rosalind Franklin etc.

Not as important as saving Britain from Nazi tyranny and having the courage to keep fighting against one of the most evil men to have lived when influential members of his cabinet wanted to strike a deal.
Original post by wildrover
Not as important as saving Britain from Nazi tyranny and having the courage to keep fighting against one of the most evil men to have lived when influential members of his cabinet wanted to strike a deal.

I am not at all denying Churchill's achievements but there were many women who worked to keep this country safe as well, many women who unfortunately will likely never be recognized for their achievements. All in all though I don't really care about the bank notes.
Reply 27
Original post by redpanda41
I don't think there's any malicious intent behind the decision, but I do think it rather questionable that there apparently isn't one woman deemed worthy enough to feature on a bank note (apart from the Queen, who is there by accident of birth). After all, the only reason women haven't historically been as prominent in their achievements as men is because of their historical oppression, politically and socially. Whilst these men were doing their undoubtedly great deeds, they were probably supported by the women in their lives who worked just as hard and without credit in running their households. As women do make up 50% of the population, I think it would be the least they could manage to find one to put on a bank note - and I'm sure there are plenty of great women to choose from. I don't think that's a lot to ask really.

It's not really questionable. There have been fewer noteworthy women than men in Britain's history. Whether this is because "the men kept them down" (I resent this generalisation but kunoichi pretty much just said exactly that) or not is irrelevant - the bank notes are decided on an individual basis and there are clearly more noteworthy individual men than women in Britain's history. I've no doubt that this will change in future but for now let's not be in denial just so a few feminists don't get their feelings hurt by uncomfortable truths.
Reply 28
I am not at all denying Churchill's achievements but there were many women who worked to keep this country safe as well, many women who unfortunately will likely never be recognized for their achievements. All in all though I don't really care about the bank notes.

Obviously they were recognised which is how you know about them in the first place. There are plenty of great men who have been left out too.
Reply 29
In no particular order; Emily Davidson, Florence Nightingale, Rosalind Franklin etc.

There are hundreds of men who achieved far more than the women you just listed. Lets not get into listing a war because you will lose.
surely if their achivements are that great and important to society as a whole, whats so important about acknowleging them on a bank note?
Reply 31
I would much prefer to see Elizabeth Fry on the bank notes rather than the brutish racist that is Churchill.

I also doubt many feminists would want to see Thatcher on the bank notes either.

I have no idea why so many people on this forum seem to think feminism is a philosophy adopted by women who think women are superior to men. This is not feminism.
Reply 32
Original post by fatpat
I would much prefer to see Elizabeth Fry on the bank notes rather than the brutish racist that is Churchill.

I also doubt many feminists would want to see Thatcher on the bank notes either.

I have no idea why so many people on this forum seem to think feminism is a philosophy adopted by women who think women are superior to men. This is not feminism.

You are a fool, You can not call Churchill a racist, he was a man of his time.
You are judging people from the past on today's moral standards.

-
MORE MEN OF NOTE
Francis Drake (1540-1596): Fired the imagination of a nation. From Drake onwards Englishmen, and then Britons, looked to the sea for wealth, power and adventure.
Isaac Newton (1643-1727): Redefined the universe and our relationship with it. He built the foundations of modern science.
William âWilberforce (1759-1833): One of an extraordinary group of men who managed to get slavery abolished.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel(1806-1859): Ships, tunnels, buildings, trains and much more. The great genius of the Industrial Revolution.
Charles Darwin (1809-1882): Made the biggest, most dangerous and far-reaching scientific breakthrough in history. We are not what we once thought we were.

Alan Turing (1912-1954): He was instrumental in the development of computers and also breaking the Nazi top-secret code during the Second World War.
-

The list is endless compared to women, I guess women don't have the genius gene.
(edited 10 years ago)

I only agree with Rosalind Franklin tbh
Just thought I'd say, I don't think the £5 note suits Churchill anyway, he's more of a £50 note kind of guy haha
Reply 35
Original post by LordBradburn
I only agree with Rosalind Franklin tbh

There are far more men who are much greater then her, just look in the field of men who revolutionized medicine.
Stop looking to put a woman for the sake of political correctness.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ssxx
There are far more men who are much greater then her.
Stop looking to put a woman for the sake of political correctness.

Yes you'd see I agree with you if you'd read my earlier posts in the thread..
Reply 37
There are many great men and many great women, people need to stop being childish stating that there are better men than women and visa versa because man or woman no one here has achieved anything nearly as great as any of the people that have been listed. Also, Florence Nightingale was on one of the early banknotes, so she doesn't need to be again, I don't agree with people discrediting her though as she fought alongside men in the trenches helping save their lives.
Reply 38
I don't see the problem. Isn't there a woman on every bank note anyway?

Pale into insignificance when compared to Churchill.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending