The Student Room Group

Need help with analysis in English Lit A Level

Hi!

I am really struggling with my analysis in English Literature. I don't know how to create an in-depth analysis and feel like my ideas are too basic (GCSE level). I also feel like the language I analyse is basic (such as personification).

If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate some help in improving my analytical skills and analysing more interesting language devices!!!
Original post by nia1777
Hi!

I am really struggling with my analysis in English Literature. I don't know how to create an in-depth analysis and feel like my ideas are too basic (GCSE level). I also feel like the language I analyse is basic (such as personification).

If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate some help in improving my analytical skills and analysing more interesting language devices!!!

Do you have an example of your work? I'd be happy to have a look and offer suggestions :smile:
Reply 2
Hi Nia1777 (!)
Firstly, have you mentioned this to your teacher? What kind of detail in feedback do you get on the work you submit?
That aside, send an example of your work over, and I'll have a look at it for you, if you want.
Original post by nia1777
Hi!

Hiya!

use words like allegory, antithesis, microcosm, hubris etc…

Explain from different POV’s E.G. a feminist point of view to argue you point further

Use context of the writer and of the time the set text was set: something that impressed my teacher was knowing my authors style of writing and how it differed or stayed the same in the text i studied (talk about the effect of this style as well E.G. the author may have written in expressionism - what effect does this have?

Talk about structure - why is this sentence here and not there?

Effect of a contemporary audience vs a contextual audience *more likely to do this for a play - if taking about a novel say ‘reader’ not ‘audience’

In a play- you MUST prove you know it’s being preformed - watch the play, make notes on the tone the actor is speaking in then comment on that in your essay

Read or research other literary texts that relate to the one your writing about and use it to back up/solidify your point

Stick to the question - I myself find myself writing of things separate to the question asked in order to fit everything in, instead of this do an in-depth analysis; this means providing alternative views, critics etc…

Always relate back to how something makes the reader/audience feel

Can use techniques like: hyperbolic/emotive/melodramatic lang, assonance, anaphora, paradox, euphemism, colloquialism, pathos, ethos, motive etc..

Am so sorry if this was long, it’s also good to remind myself as i am always forgetting to do these things in an essay.

Reply 4
Original post by Amiya Aylward
Hiya!

use words like allegory, antithesis, microcosm, hubris etc…

Explain from different POV’s E.G. a feminist point of view to argue you point further

Use context of the writer and of the time the set text was set: something that impressed my teacher was knowing my authors style of writing and how it differed or stayed the same in the text i studied (talk about the effect of this style as well E.G. the author may have written in expressionism - what effect does this have?

Talk about structure - why is this sentence here and not there?

Effect of a contemporary audience vs a contextual audience *more likely to do this for a play - if taking about a novel say ‘reader’ not ‘audience’

In a play- you MUST prove you know it’s being preformed - watch the play, make notes on the tone the actor is speaking in then comment on that in your essay

Read or research other literary texts that relate to the one your writing about and use it to back up/solidify your point

Stick to the question - I myself find myself writing of things separate to the question asked in order to fit everything in, instead of this do an in-depth analysis; this means providing alternative views, critics etc…

Always relate back to how something makes the reader/audience feel

Can use techniques like: hyperbolic/emotive/melodramatic lang, assonance, anaphora, paradox, euphemism, colloquialism, pathos, ethos, motive etc..

Am so sorry if this was long, it’s also good to remind myself as i am always forgetting to do these things in an essay.

Hi, this is SO helpful, thank you so much! I have my first mock tomorrow... I will try to use some of these tips for sure!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending