The Student Room Group

English Lit NEA

I started my English NEA recently and decided I want to do it on 'Moll Flanders' and 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' (theme: sex, sexuality, gender) and am completely clueless on what question I could possible pursue. Any ideas?
Reply 1
Oooh that has scope for interest with one being historical and one being contemporary. Perhaps something like:

From Moll Flanders to Evelyn Hugo: To what extent has the 'ideal woman' of fiction progressed?

From Moll Flanders to Evelyn Hugo: How has the depiction of gender, sexuality and femininity progressed?

From Defoe to Reid: How has the authorial depiction of gender, sexuality and sex progressed over time?

Not sure if that is of much help to you? I did mine on Christina Rossetti's poetry which was v. feminist-leaning too.
Reply 2
Original post by -jasmin
I started my English NEA recently and decided I want to do it on 'Moll Flanders' and 'The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo' (theme: sex, sexuality, gender) and am completely clueless on what question I could possible pursue. Any ideas?

Oooh that has scope for interest with one being historical and one being contemporary. Perhaps something like:

From Moll Flanders to Evelyn Hugo: To what extent has the 'ideal woman' of fiction progressed?

From Moll Flanders to Evelyn Hugo: How has the depiction of gender, sexuality and femininity progressed?

From Defoe to Reid: How has the authorial depiction of gender, sexuality and sex progressed over time?

Not sure if that is of much help to you? I did mine on Christina Rossetti's poetry which was v. feminist-leaning too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending