The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

About to graduate from Birmingham University - What do you want to know? :)

Scroll to see replies

I will be a 2014 applicant for a different course but I was wondering what the campus is like in general? :smile: I'll hopefully go to the 26th October open day and then see for myself :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 61
Original post by JasmineK
Hey, When do we get our timetables? :smile:

You'll have an induction day during freshers week in which you'll have some intro and welcome talk, collection of welcome packs, and allocated into and meeting your tutors/fellow tutees.

The welcome packs contain your first semester timetables as well as any lab guides you need for the semester.

All details regarding module handbooks and timetables also go up online as well. You'll be told about the system once you're there :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I will be a 2014 applicant for a different course but I was wondering what the campus is like in general? :smile: I'll hopefully go to the 26th October open day and then see for myself :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Campus is nice. It's nice that it's so closed unlike most city universities which are just buildings on high streets. There is a plethora of facilities including many eateries, banks, a post office, hair dressers, a chaplaincy, coffee houses etc

There are also services for near enough every need (personal, social, medical, academic) thus if you have problems at uni there are always services to help you just have to work out which is the most appropriate :smile:

Beyond the immediate circle of campus there are doctors and dentists local as well. No accommodation sites are technically on campus but most are adjacent (up to a 10min walk) but UNiversity buildings extend so far that it feels like the whole surrounding area is the campus too!

Finitely go visit :smile: there's no better way of knowing if you'll be comfortable at a uni for 3-4 years without going before hand. I don't understand the people who go to a Uni without visiting first! :smile:
Original post by nicatre
Campus is nice. It's nice that it's so closed unlike most city universities which are just buildings on high streets. There is a plethora of facilities including many eateries, banks, a post office, hair dressers, a chaplaincy, coffee houses etc

There are also services for near enough every need (personal, social, medical, academic) thus if you have problems at uni there are always services to help you just have to work out which is the most appropriate :smile:

Beyond the immediate circle of campus there are doctors and dentists local as well. No accommodation sites are technically on campus but most are adjacent (up to a 10min walk) but UNiversity buildings extend so far that it feels like the whole surrounding area is the campus too!

Finitely go visit :smile: there's no better way of knowing if you'll be comfortable at a uni for 3-4 years without going before hand. I don't understand the people who go to a Uni without visiting first! :smile:

Thank you very much for your input :smile: I'm looking forward to visiting :')
Reply 64
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Thank you very much for your input :smile: I'm looking forward to visiting :')

You're very welcome :smile: feel free to ask any more Qs here, via PM, or via twitter (@bencturnbull) I also blog about going from my UG degree to PhD (bencturnbull.wordpress.com) if you're now or in the future interested :smile:

Glad I could help
Original post by nicatre
You're very welcome :smile: feel free to ask any more Qs here, via PM, or via twitter (@bencturnbull) I also blog about going from my UG degree to PhD (bencturnbull.wordpress.com) if you're now or in the future interested :smile:

Glad I could help

Thanks, I will :h:
What are you planning to do now, career wise? Do you know what the career prospects are like for Psychology students?
I am torn between getting a freshers wrist band and just going to broad street on freshers, could you advice me? I am going to Aston :smile:
Also, any tips you information you could give me about Birmingham which would have been useful to you as a fresher/helped you?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I am torn between getting a freshers wrist band and just going to broad street on freshers, could you advice me? I am going to Aston :smile:
Also, any tips you information you could give me about Birmingham which would have been useful to you as a fresher/helped you?
Thank you :smile:

Hello David,

I'll admit up front that I was never much of a clubber so regarding the wrist bands I don't know specifically. I'd assume that any freshers packs/deals will give you a couple of quid discount on entry and perhaps a couple of drinks. They'll just make your first visit a tad smoother but it won't be the case that you can't just turn up! (There'll be non-freshers and non-uni students about as well of course)

Birmingham's a big and very busy place which if you're not used to that kind of environment can be daunting. My main suggestion would be to avoid town on a Saturday as it's so busy that it's just awful. Though, if you're not particularly bothered about large and busy crowds then you'll be fine.

It's a big place with near enough everything to do that you could want. There's a social niche there for anyone and you'll find it :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by needsomeadvice12
What are you planning to do now, career wise? Do you know what the career prospects are like for Psychology students?

Hello there,

I'm heading the academic route and doing a PhD :smile: (see signature) and ultimately into teaching (I'm just not sure if it'll be at uni or college level yet).

Science degrees do nothing but open doors though and people are always surprised by the shear range of careers people use the degree for. First and foremost, you must take a degree for the sake of interest; careers come second. Doing a science degree in general sets you up for directly related careers including research, teaching, grad-entry medicine, transferable careers including law, business management, communication, policy consultancy, and journalism and beyond that the transferable skills are that long-listed that as long as you apply what you've learned appropriately you can move to near enough anything :smile:

Psychology specifically, the uni offers two MSci (undergraduate masters) courses one research and one more clinically related which are two very good options. People often head from Psychology into research or into practice as a clinical psychologist.Other than that and the more general trajectories of a science graduate, I'm not too sure unfortunately.

Once you're at the uni, there'll be so many careers talks and information sessions thrown at you that you'll not know what to do with it all and when in doubt just keep asking questions. :smile:
Original post by nicatre
Hello David,

I'll admit up front that I was never much of a clubber so regarding the wrist bands I don't know specifically. I'd assume that any freshers packs/deals will give you a couple of quid discount on entry and perhaps a couple of drinks. They'll just make your first visit a tad smoother but it won't be the case that you can't just turn up! (There'll be non-freshers and non-uni students about as well of course)

Birmingham's a big and very busy place which if you're not used to that kind of environment can be daunting. My main suggestion would be to avoid town on a Saturday as it's so busy that it's just awful. Though, if you're not particularly bothered about large and busy crowds then you'll be fine.

It's a big place with near enough everything to do that you could want. There's a social niche there for anyone and you'll find it :smile:

Thank you! Busyness doesn't bother me too much, and I'm not much of a clubber either :smile:
Reply 71
Thank you! Busyness doesn't bother me too much, and I'm not much of a clubber either :smile:

Ah well that's brilliant then :smile: just enjoy the time there. It's a wonderful city and I'm sad to leave!

I mentioned to a few other posters but if you ever want to PM me or tweet to @bencturnbull during your degree then feel free. Also, I've started blogging about moving from under- to post-grad at wordpress.bencturnbull.com in which i'm hoping to provide a very realistic view of the whole process :smile:
Original post by nicatre
Ah well that's brilliant then :smile: just enjoy the time there. It's a wonderful city and I'm sad to leave!

I mentioned to a few other posters but if you ever want to PM me or tweet to @bencturnbull during your degree then feel free. Also, I've started blogging about moving from under- to post-grad at wordpress.bencturnbull.com in which i'm hoping to provide a very realistic view of the whole process :smile:

I will try, thanks man, i'll check it out, good lucky with post graduate :smile: What did you get in your degree just out of interest?
Reply 73
I will try, thanks man, i'll check it out, good lucky with post graduate :smile: What did you get in your degree just out of interest?

MSci Human Biology (is it not showing up in my signature? I'll have to fix that).

Spent 4 years studying Biology flickering through a few different areas and now I'm off to do a PhD studying cognition in animals!
Original post by nicatre
MSci Human Biology (is it not showing up in my signature? I'll have to fix that).

Spent 4 years studying Biology flickering through a few different areas and now I'm off to do a PhD studying cognition in animals!

Nope it isn't, although the loop of henle is in the kidney isn't it? What did you get though (first/2.1/2.2..) ah sounds really good :biggrin: Very interesting !
Reply 75
Nope it isn't, although the loop of henle is in the kidney isn't it? What did you get though (first/2.1/2.2..) ah sounds really good :biggrin: Very interesting !

I just found out that signatures only show on your first post on a page to prevent them taking over. Yup, that loop is part of the filtration system of the kidney :smile:

I got a 2.1, 66% to be precise. Yes! It is very interesting! Then again, so too is all of nature!
Original post by nicatre
I just found out that signatures only show on your first post on a page to prevent them taking over. Yup, that loop is part of the filtration system of the kidney :smile:

I got a 2.1, 66% to be precise. Yes! It is very interesting! Then again, so too is all of nature!

You learn something new every day ! That's pretty good, well done :smile: Yes, natures pretty darn cool!
Reply 77
When searching for a house in second/third/fourth year, what are the cheaper prices that you can pay for a house relatively close to uni if you live with other students?
Reply 78
Original post by ejw93
When searching for a house in second/third/fourth year, what are the cheaper prices that you can pay for a house relatively close to uni if you live with other students?

I have very little idea of the range as I have no idea what my friends payed and I stayed in the same place 2nd-4th year! My house was a terraced 4-bedroom 2-batchroom place with 2 bigger and 2 smaller rooms. The larger payed £70/w and the smaller £65/w for a 12 month tenancy. This included TV License, broadband, and all routine maintenance (we never payed for any of the handy work)

I do know that there are an absolute plethora of houses available both privately let and also via estate agents. They're advertised widely so you could search for the best deals. Just make sure you get started around Dec-Feb as houses tend to be let for Jan-ish.

The University have an accommodation services who do background checks on all landlords when requested if you are ever in doubt :smile:

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Original post by nicatre
You've very welcome.

Now stop freaking worrying and enjoy your summer :smile: and feel free to send me more Qs whilst you're there too. I'm on twitter also @BenCTurnbull and you can ask Qs there too (forgive me if I mentioned that already XD)

Hi again :hello:

Just wanted to ask how important is having Facebook at uni? Will Twitter do? Because atm I don't actually have Facebook but was wondering how much Facebook is used in regards to communication and how much I will miss out on by not having it or should I just make an account? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending