The Student Room Group

Gay marriage

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
Straight people can marry someone they want to marry, gay people cannot. Explain to me how that is equal?

A gay person can get married tomorrow if they want to. The current law doesn't prohibit a gay person from getting married, they are completely entitled to get married. Same with a heterosexual. Both groups can equally get married.
Original post by commanderb
A gay person can get married tomorrow if they want to. The current law doesn't prohibit a gay person from getting married, they are completely entitled to get married. Same with a heterosexual. Both groups can equally get married.

I understand that. My point is, it's not equal that straight people can marry someone they love, and gay people can't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242

Oh come on, that's such a farce of an argument that makes a mockery of the inequality.

The proposal is to allow anyone the right to marry a person they love.
Let's see if there's equality:

Can heterosexual people marry someone they love?
Yes.

Can homosexual people marry someone they love?
No.

Is that not discrimination?
Original post by tufc
Why do you want inclusion in an institution that's defined by its history of discriminating against you?

I want inclusion in marriage, it discriminated against marrying people of different skin colours, but it doesn't mean people didn't want to be included did it?
There is no need for Gay Marriage, as equality has already been achieved? Answer me this question, can a gay person get married at the moment? Yes they can as nothing is stopping them, as long as they marry someone of the opposite sex. Therefore homosexuals and heterosexuals are equal, hence gay marriage is not required.

Technically the inequality is not so much between gay and straight people as between men and women. If we passed a law saying women could only be employed by men and vice versa, that would not be seen as equal, and the same with marriage.
Reply 245
Original post by MattFletcher
I want inclusion in marriage, it discriminated against marrying people of different skin colours, but it doesn't mean people didn't want to be included did it?

It wasn't defined by its exclusion of people of colour, however. Marriage is defined by its history of being one man and one woman; the ban on interracial marriage went against that and was wrong. But it is defined by its history of being one man and one woman.
California gay marriage opponents act to re-impose ban

"On Saturday the Alliance Defending Freedom, which supports the ban..."

Whose freedom are they defending here exactly? How could they have named themselves this with a straight face.

I guess you would have no problem if you were banned from having sex with people, banned from getting a job that pays more than £15k a year, and banned from straight clubs.

I would guess that you have no problem with this because you can still have sex (with a goat), still get a job (entry level at McDonald's for the rest of your life), and you can still go to clubs (gay clubs, where all the gays will dance all over you).
Original post by tufc
It wasn't defined by its exclusion of people of colour, however. Marriage is defined by its history of being one man and one woman; the ban on interracial marriage went against that and was wrong. But it is defined by its history of being one man and one woman.

That's just how you've chosen to define it. I can just as easily say it was defined by being one man and one woman of the same race or it was defined by being between 2 humans.
There is no need for Gay Marriage, as equality has already been achieved? Answer me this question, can a gay person get married at the moment? Yes they can as nothing is stopping them, as long as they marry someone of the opposite sex. Therefore homosexuals and heterosexuals are equal, hence gay marriage is not required.

But they can't marry someone they love, so no, equality hasn't been achieved.
Original post by Fatima95
My religion doesn't permit homosexual marriages. But I don't see any problems with it. I just don't think homosexual couples should be allowed to raise a child.

Why? Perhaps you should not be allowed to raise a child incase you pass on your homophobic beliefs to them.
Reply 251
Original post by Fatima95
My religion doesn't permit homosexual marriages. But I don't see any problems with it. I just don't think homosexual couples should be allowed to raise a child.

Gay couples do a favor to society by taking care of children who were abandoned by straight parents.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending