The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Undergraduate Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Wow, great news that everybodys getting more offers and interviews! feel so nervous now knowing people at the interviews i was with are getting offers! makes being patient even worse haha, fingers crossed for everybody
Reply 581
Original post by Butterfly9595
Unconditional from Strathclyde! :biggrin: really does take the pressure off a lot knowing someone wants me - good luck to everyone else! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! My thoughts exactly:biggrin:
Reply 582
Original post by karaaaasdfghjkl
Wow, great news that everybodys getting more offers and interviews! feel so nervous now knowing people at the interviews i was with are getting offers! makes being patient even worse haha, fingers crossed for everybody]

It's such a stressful time, all this waiting and worrying, so stressful - I've got everything crossed for you guys, come on u offers!
Hi All, so pleased for those of you getting interviews etc, and offers - hoorah!!

Now I know I only applied on 12th December, I have logged in to Track a hundred times, but as yet have still not had my UCAS welcome letter. Also, I know that each uni is different, but I'm sure both times I applied to uni before I got a letter through the post saying thanks we're considering your application and bla bla. I haven't heard anything....a couple of automatic email notifications, which suggests that they have received my application - I guess this is the aspect of today's technology I am uncomfortable with. I like receiving letters, I feel more....well....like something has happened, even if in reality it hasn't.

I love being here, I love seeing people get interviews and offers, I think it really is fantastic news, because I know the wait is killing me, and I totally feel your relief and excitement that someone wants you :smile:

I'm struggling to stay posiive for myself though. I know academically on paper I'm not strong enough to "beat" the majority of applicant's, I had two work experience placements with SLT/OT teams lined up, both of which fell through, I've been registered with my local volunteer agency for a year now and because I work two jobs and have limited availability I still have nothing lined up - basically I'm losing hope, and I know I shouldn't, because it's only been a few weeks, and basically we can write two of those off for Christmas, but ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!

I don't remember feeling like this before - lol.....must mean this time round I really do want it - completely agonising - I want to be a speech therapist, I want to get up in the mornings and help to empower someone somewhere just that little bit more....but places are limited, its competiative and frankly, whilst practically I could excel, my previous grades just don't reflect this....

Having a small crisis - lol!!!!!!

I'll get over it - hopefully I'm not the only one feeling like this :smile: Please tell me I'm not - haha x
Reply 584
Original post by ashabumbleb
Hi All, so pleased for those of you getting interviews etc, and offers - hoorah!!

Now I know I only applied on 12th December, I have logged in to Track a hundred times, but as yet have still not had my UCAS welcome letter. Also, I know that each uni is different, but I'm sure both times I applied to uni before I got a letter through the post saying thanks we're considering your application and bla bla. I haven't heard anything....a couple of automatic email notifications, which suggests that they have received my application - I guess this is the aspect of today's technology I am uncomfortable with. I like receiving letters, I feel more....well....like something has happened, even if in reality it hasn't.

I love being here, I love seeing people get interviews and offers, I think it really is fantastic news, because I know the wait is killing me, and I totally feel your relief and excitement that someone wants you :smile:

I'm struggling to stay posiive for myself though. I know academically on paper I'm not strong enough to "beat" the majority of applicant's, I had two work experience placements with SLT/OT teams lined up, both of which fell through, I've been registered with my local volunteer agency for a year now and because I work two jobs and have limited availability I still have nothing lined up - basically I'm losing hope, and I know I shouldn't, because it's only been a few weeks, and basically we can write two of those off for Christmas, but ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!

I don't remember feeling like this before - lol.....must mean this time round I really do want it - completely agonising - I want to be a speech therapist, I want to get up in the mornings and help to empower someone somewhere just that little bit more....but places are limited, its competiative and frankly, whilst practically I could excel, my previous grades just don't reflect this....

I'll get over it - hopefully I'm not the only one feeling like this :smile: Please tell me I'm not - haha x

No news is good news, try and stay positive - as long as you've got the relevant grades and meet the criteria your application will be considered, and if your personal statement is as passionate about speech and language as your posting on here, then I think you should be in with a good chance of securing a place.

The only letter I've had is from DMU, which just said applications wouldn't be considered until after the 15th January. MMU and Leeds used Track to invite me to interview, Sheffield emailed me directly.

I think until you get at least one offer you're bound to feel anxious - I certainly did, and I'm sure most people on here feel the same.
Reply 585
Now I know I only applied on 12th December, I have logged in to Track a hundred times, but as yet have still not had my UCAS welcome letter. Also, I know that each uni is different, but I'm sure both times I applied to uni before I got a letter through the post saying thanks we're considering your application and bla bla. I haven't heard anything....a couple of automatic email notifications, which suggests that they have received my application

I am in exactly the same position as you except I applied on the 9th of Dec :smile: I've had nothing through the post either, I just presume it's taking them a while to send out all the welcome letters? Good luck with everything!
Original post by krst02
I am in exactly the same position as you except I applied on the 9th of Dec :smile: I've had nothing through the post either, I just presume it's taking them a while to send out all the welcome letters? Good luck with everything!

Thank you - I just feel better knowing that I am not the only one....well fingers crossed for you also.... I think a suitable hastag for this uni application stuff od #hatethewait Hahaha :smile: I'm much brighter this morning, was just having a mini-meltdown last night - but thank you for confirming that not having a welcome letter or having heard anything from the Uni's is ok :smile:

Original post by Ems95
No news is good news, try and stay positive - as long as you've got the relevant grades and meet the criteria your application will be considered, and if your personal statement is as passionate about speech and language as your posting on here, then I think you should be in with a good chance of securing a place.

The only letter I've had is from DMU, which just said applications wouldn't be considered until after the 15th January. MMU and Leeds used Track to invite me to interview, Sheffield emailed me directly.

I think until you get at least one offer you're bound to feel anxious - I certainly did, and I'm sure most people on here feel the same.

I emailed all of the uni's before applying with my grades etc - I wasn't elto apply to two and then picked the ones that I'd either already decided I want to go to or who offered the most help/gave the more detailed reply. So fingers crossed my application will be considered....but I have been warned that they are likely to have far stronger candidiates than I - eeeeeeeeek!!! I guess it's just the luck of who applies this year :smile:

Agonising, but I will get through this, and at least if don't get in I have a job that I love, so it's not the end of the world - but I would like a career, rather than an admin job :biggrin:

Have a great day everyone, and fingers crossed for more good news on the way for all of you x x
Reply 587
It's so lovely to see all these interviews and offers, well done everyone! And the best of luck to those still waiting :biggrin:

I sat the first 2 of my biology re-sits this morning and I'd forgotten how hard sitting an exam is! Definitely not expecting to get the B I need, but trying to be positive and think of it as a "mock" and the proper ones will be the ones in the summer. It was nerve-wracking enough going back to my old school. Only started revising 3 months ago and it's been 10 years since I did GCSEs...though it's debatable whether I actually paid any attention in those Biology lessons at school :tongue:

Has anyone else struggled to get B grades in Biology/Maths in the past and if so any tips? eg. I'm thinking of getting a tutor but they're so expensive I'll have to make sure it's worth it!
Reply 588

This! (The bit I've put in bold of your post). This is what I want too, to get up and know I can help and make a difference to someone's life, whether a big change or small. Just want to sooo much! Just need to get the grades now :tongue:

Best of luck with your application :biggrin:
Reply 589
Original post by evie_
It's so lovely to see all these interviews and offers, well done everyone! And the best of luck to those still waiting :biggrin:

I sat the first 2 of my biology re-sits this morning and I'd forgotten how hard sitting an exam is! Definitely not expecting to get the B I need, but trying to be positive and think of it as a "mock" and the proper ones will be the ones in the summer. It was nerve-wracking enough going back to my old school. Only started revising 3 months ago and it's been 10 years since I did GCSEs...though it's debatable whether I actually paid any attention in those Biology lessons at school :tongue:

Has anyone else struggled to get B grades in Biology/Maths in the past and if so any tips? eg. I'm thinking of getting a tutor but they're so expensive I'll have to make sure it's worth it!

Hope it went well :smile: I didn't find science hard, but in Maths we had an awful teacher, so at one point was on a C. I knew I could get much higher, so I managed to get a tutor in year 11, and ended up getting an A. It's a good idea to get a tutor, definitely, a little but of extra input can go a long way :smile: Best of luck with it :biggrin:
Reply 590
Thank you - I just feel better knowing that I am not the only one....well fingers crossed for you also.... I think a suitable hastag for this uni application stuff od #hatethewait Hahaha :smile: I'm much brighter this morning, was just having a mini-meltdown last night - but thank you for confirming that not having a welcome letter or having heard anything from the Uni's is ok :smile:

No probs! And thanks :smile: Yeah I know where you're coming from, I kind of ebb between moods of acceptance and intense frustration :tongue:
Reply 591
Original post by evie_

Out of the three sciences I took I found Biology the worse - saying that I managed to get an A by revising like mad and doing past papers. I also downloaded the mark scheme and went over it after doing the past paper to see how I'd done and finding the answers to questions I'd got wrong. I also found it useful sitting down with my mum to revise and discuss various topics, which proved very useful when I was trying to recall answers in the exam.

i also bought an additional revision book that explained things step by step, well worth the money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 592

I emailed all of the uni's before applying with my grades etc - I wasn't elto apply to two and then picked the ones that I'd either already decided I want to go to or who offered the most help/gave the more detailed reply. So fingers crossed my application will be considered....but I have been warned that they are likely to have far stronger candidiates than I - eeeeeeeeek!!! I guess it's just the luck of who applies this year :smile:

Agonising, but I will get through this, and at least if don't get in I have a job that I love, so it's not the end of the world - but I would like a career, rather than an admin job :biggrin:

Have a great day everyone, and fingers crossed for more good news on the way for all of you x x

Keep us updated of how you get on, and good luck!
Original post by evie_

I have a tutor for Biology - I see him for an hour every other week - I'm not sure if it helps me or not, but I do find it good just to talk over things I have read/learned - it kinda confirms that I have got it right and if I've got completely the wrong end of the stick he'll explain it to me so I understand it properly. If that makes sense. I didn't think there were any January exams anymore? Or is it just certain things?

Anyways, yes it's expensive £26.10 each time, but if I only learn a tiny bit that just pulls up my grade then I think it's worth paying. Afterall, it's really rather cheap compared to university in general :smile: Hope it all went well and the very best of luck to you :smile:
Original post by krst02
No probs! And thanks :smile: Yeah I know where you're coming from, I kind of ebb between moods of acceptance and intense frustration :tongue:

Original post by Ems95
Keep us updated of how you get on, and good luck!

Thanks very much folks - lets do this!!!!!!

I must say, today has been positive, I haven't heard anything from the universities yet, but I did hear from the local volunteer group and they've got a person who needs some occasional assistance, plus the local(ish) hospital has come back to me with a date for me to do some shadowing of their SLT team for half a day....and there was me thinking it wasn't happening anymore on both accounts - so I'm pretty darn happy about that!!

Just got to hear from uni's now - so we'll see how it goes - HAPPY DAYS

Positive vibes ONLY going out to each and every one of you - YEEHAR!!

Original post by saraw26
This! (The bit I've put in bold of your post). This is what I want too, to get up and know I can help and make a difference to someone's life, whether a big change or small. Just want to sooo much! Just need to get the grades now :tongue:

Best of luck with your application :biggrin:

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Fingers and toes crossed for you with your grades - and that all your hard work and dedication pays off!!
Reply 595

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Fingers and toes crossed for you with your grades - and that all your hard work and dedication pays off!!

Yay, thank you! And you :biggrin:
Reply 596
Thanks everyone for your replies and help :smile: it's so good to have this forum so we can talk everything through.

It helps to see all the positivity too - it makes me feel more positive. Now I'm excited just to get stuck into it and get these grades! I'm sure everyone feels like that :smile:

Hope more good news starts coming in now that the deadline is around the corner!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 597
Original post by evie_
Thanks everyone for your replies and help :smile: it's so good to have this forum so we can talk everything through.

It helps to see all the positivity too - it makes me feel more positive. Now I'm excited just to get stuck into it and get these grades! I'm sure everyone feels like that :smile:

Hope more good news starts coming in now that the deadline is around the corner!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it's so great to be able to talk to you all! I have a lot of friends applying for straight degrees such as English or whatever, so they seem to get 5 offers straight away - it's great to be able to talk to people who have to go through such a rigorous process of interviews etc.

So yeah, work hard and we'll do well :biggrin:

Again, best of luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 598
Wish there was a way of automatically keeping the table link on each page of the thread. But I'll post it each page to make it easier and quicker for people to find :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/speech_and_language_therapy_2014_entry#Speech_and_language_therapy_applicants_2014
congratulations to everyone who have received offers and interviews. I unfortunately received my first knock back for mmu. :frown: I have the required grades and experience working with prior who have had a stroke, and I've also spent a day in the SaLT department at a hospital. I'm confused as to why my application wasn't even really considered. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest