The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Undergraduate Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by evantej
The universities themselves are of little consequence to me in the main. MMU are the only ones which stand out because of their joint course and new facilities, and I did my undergraduate degree there. For practical reasons I should really pick Newcastle, where I currently work (and have a house and family in the area), or Sheffield, where my girlfriend's family lives close by. These two also stand out for research reasons.

I cannot pick them both as they are likely to give me the same offer, which I might not meet (DD in human biology), so I have to make smart choices. This rules Manchester out too. This leaves DMU and MMU as my slightly safer choices. I am hoping the universities help make the decision for me in some ways as I really would not like to have to pick between five similar offers.

For me, a lot rides on MMU's offer. If they give me unconditional then I will pick them over DMU as my insurance at the very least. I have my first human biology exam at the end of the month so I will know by then whether I am capable of getting DD.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My thoughts exactly! If I get DMU I'll probably put it down as my insurance, but I desperately want MMU, so that's definitely my first choice, just got to get the grades now - August is gonna be stressful time for sure.

My other dilemma is which MMU course to pick. I started wanting the joint course, but the issues surrounding whether they were doing the course this year really unsettled me, and now I'm torn as to which I should opt for:confused:

I've also made a start completing my bursary application, but until I decide which MMU course I want I can't send off the evidence they need.

Good luck with your biology exam - have you applied for the single or joint course at MMU?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank you girls! You're all so lovely xx
Reply 782
Hi everyone, hope all your applications/interviews are going okay!

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview or offer from The University of Manchester yet for Speech Language and Therapy?? Not really seen anyone mention manchester offers or interviews so just curious!

Good luck everyone!
Original post by gscott10

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview or offer from The University of Manchester yet for Speech Language and Therapy?? Not really seen anyone mention manchester offers or interviews so just curious!

Good luck everyone!

I had an intervew there on 4 December - know there is another interview day this week and one in feb - heard nothing further since my interview.
Reply 784
Original post by AmyPilot
I had an intervew there on 4 December - know there is another interview day this week and one in feb - heard nothing further since my interview.

Ahh and how did you find it? I'm sure it won't be long until you here back! How was the interview day set out when you went? Was it a group interview or did you just have to complete the written interview as people have mentioned?:smile:
Ahh and how did you find it? I'm sure it won't be long until you here back! How was the interview day set out when you went? Was it a group interview or did you just have to complete the written interview as people have mentioned?:smile:

there was a welcome/intor talk then written interview (done on computer) then some group activities including the tour with current students then tea and cakes!
Reply 786

Good luck everyone!

I've not heard anything yet and my ucas went in in November, I've been waiting for aggggggeessssssss :frown: hopefully we will hear something soon x
Reply 787
Original post by AmyPilot
there was a welcome/intor talk then written interview (done on computer) then some group activities including the tour with current students then tea and cakes!

That doesn't sound too bad! Well all the best with your offers!!:smile:
Reply 788
Original post by Zoebellis
I've not heard anything yet and my ucas went in in November, I've been waiting for aggggggeessssssss :frown: hopefully we will hear something soon x

I wonder why Manchester haven't seemed to give anyone an offer for SLT yet?! Maybe its because there's fewer places! I hope so too! Is manchester your first choice?:smile: x
Reply 789
I wonder why Manchester haven't seemed to give anyone an offer for SLT yet?! Maybe its because there's fewer places! I hope so too! Is manchester your first choice?:smile: x

Yeah! I want it soooooooo bad haha hopefully they will get in touch soon :smile: x
Hiii, just doing some preparation for my Leeds interview, what's everybody else done in terms of interview prep? Especially for the listening test, worried about that
Reply 791

Good luck everyone!

Hi :smile:

I don't think they are handing out offers until Feb/March - similar with a lot of Uni's like Sheffield and Newcastle.

Where are you applying? And how is your application going?
Hi everyone! I feel like I'm really late to join this thread but better late than never right :tongue:
Currently I'm doing a levels in biology chemistry and psychology and I've applied to Leeds met, Sheffield, de Montfort, Manchester met and Birmingham City and I've got offers in the last two (yay!) but for bcu it says that you need to do a written interview and I'm stuck on how to prepare for that :/ has anyone here doing/done one before? And if so how did you prepare for it ?
Reply 793
Original post by zainabyay
Hi everyone! I feel like I'm really late to join this thread but better late than never right :tongue:
Currently I'm doing a levels in biology chemistry and psychology and I've applied to Leeds met, Sheffield, de Montfort, Manchester met and Birmingham City and I've got offers in the last two (yay!) but for bcu it says that you need to do a written interview and I'm stuck on how to prepare for that :/ has anyone here doing/done one before? And if so how did you prepare for it ?

Hey! :biggrin:

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood your post, but do you mean you have two interviews (as you put offers but say you are yet to do the BCU interview)? But yeah, well done :biggrin: BCU has a short interview that only lasts 25/30 mins, and has 6 short questions. They aren't tricky at all, and I'm sure you'll have plenty to write about. They are all based on your knowledge and experience - so you really can't prepare

I've added you to the applicant table, edit any details you have :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/speech_and_language_therapy_2014_entry#Speech_and_language_therapy_applicants_2014
(edited 10 years ago)
I really need to get into the habit of checking this before I check my emails.. I had the Newcastle related freak out too! Did anyone get the error messages from UCAS last week too?! They were very scary!!!! x
Reply 795
Original post by BecToDecember
I really need to get into the habit of checking this before I check my emails.. I had the Newcastle related freak out too! Did anyone get the error messages from UCAS last week too?! They were very scary!!!! x

I've just had another email from them and it got my hopes up :redface:

Luckily I didn't get them, but a lot of people did. Must have been horrible! :s-smilie: x
Reply 796
Original post by BecToDecember

Think I've missed something:confused: what did the error messages say?
Reply 797
Original post by Ems95
Think I've missed something:confused: what did the error messages say?

I didn't get them either. I think UCAS accidentally sent the "something has changed on track emails" to people, when nothing had changed. So lots of people got their hopes up :redface:

Nice picture by the way :biggrin:
Reply 798
Original post by saraw26
I didn't get them either. I think UCAS accidentally sent the "something has changed on track emails" to people, when nothing had changed. So lots of people got their hopes up :redface:

Nice picture by the way :biggrin:

Not good:frown: I know how it feels, felt so gutted when I got an offer from Leeds only to find out it had been sent in error.

thought it was time for a change:tongue:
Original post by xxjipxx
Yes i know what you mean! I felt the same with manchester and birmingham last year.. i loved the look of the unis but when i went didnt like them at all! Ive just spent the last hour going through the positives and negatives of all of my choices and have now come to the conclusion that mmu and leeds met are most suited to me! Just need to get some offers now! Its horrible waiting!!! Not too long now though hopefully. I was at leeds met on wednesday and they said they should make a decision in the next two weeks, so fingercrossed! Good luck to everyone! This forum is so supportive and everyone is so lovely, it has made starting the course so much more exciting, that ill be on it with such lovely people!

Totally agree...the wait is the worst part. I've yet to hear from Leeds but fingers crossed i manage to bag an interview.

How did you find it there!? I really hope it went well :-). I also agree about this post. I had found this aspect quite daunting as everybody else on my course has opted for either nursing or midwiferey. Its great to hear other peoples stories and the encouragement is fantastic. Exactly what you need when ucas goes quiet!! :-).

Just think ladies/gents by May we'll all know exactly what we're doing or at least what we need to do regarding offers. If you think how fast January is passing it really is no time at all.

Quick Reply

Latest