The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering 2014 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by awais97
Hi thanks for clearing this up, but in order to become a Chartered engineer can you not still do a BEng in chemical engineering as an alternative route?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can sort of go from BEng to CEng, but there would be a lot more steps like having to get another degree. It's more convienent and is quick to stay for an extra year and get the MEng. :smile:
Original post by James-King
You can sort of go from BEng to CEng, but there would be a lot more steps like having to get another degree. It's more convienent and is quick to stay for an extra year and get the MEng. :smile:

Hi thanks

Do you have any links to this information please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awais97
Hi thanks for clearing this up, but in order to become a Chartered engineer can you not still do a BEng in chemical engineering as an alternative route?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are alternative routes, such as being in a credited engineering career for a given time but in general it would take more years than if you were to get the MEng. IChemE ask for you to complete a research project of some sort, and that is completed with the MEng but not with the BEng. I'm just going off the Universities I have applied to so it may vary per uni. Eg Uni of Leeds' 4th year is basically a big research project.

Original post by awais97
Hi thanks

Do you have any links to this information please

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.whynotchemeng.com/
http://www.icheme.org/
http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/chemical/undergraduate/degree-chemical-engineering/index.shtml (bottom of the page)

I got most of this information from ChemEng open days and an applicant day. You can also visit the Uni's websites to find everything you need to know. It is worth checking the IChemE website and whynotchemeng.com as well.

You shouldnt need to worry about deciding whether to go for BEng or MEng yet (again depending on the uni or unless the entry requirements differ between them). Most ChemEng schools are very flexible so you may put down to do an MEng but later into the course you may decide you want to do the BEng and vice versa. In Birmingham's first two years the ChemEng course is the same between both courses so you have two years essentially to decide which course finish on.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5043
I'm at Bath and it's the same here :smile: u don't need to decide until second year whether you want MEng or BEng though about 90% end up taking the MEng according to the department since it's easier to get accredited that way. For now don't worry whether you want to do BEng or MEng but try to go for unis that are accredited so u can have the possibility of choosing later on. If accredited, the MEng gives u the academic qualifications to become an accredited engineer but u still need about a minimum of 4 years work experience afterwards

Quick Reply

Latest